Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers String Search within Text Files Post 302232483 by bggibson on Thursday 4th of September 2008 02:38:39 PM
Old 09-04-2008
String Search within Text Files

I have many scripts in directories and sub-directories that I would like to search for a specific string. How would I do that?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending string to text file based on search string

Hi, I need to append string "Hi" to the beginning of the lines containing some specific string. How can I achieve that? Please help. Malay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

3. AIX

search text string

hi, i know this trick: find / -name '*' -exec grep 'string to search' {} \; but it won't show the path/file where it came from. how can i make the path/file to show up. thanks in advance, itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string and append text after the string

Hi, I have a file like this... <o t="Batch" id="8410" p="/" g="32"> <a n="name"> <v s="DBBA1MM"/> </a> <a n="owner"> <v r="/Administrator"/> </a> <a n="rights"> <v s="95"/> </a> <a n="debugLevel"> <v s="3"/> </a> <a n="avsStoreLoc"> <v... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kesu2k
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the particular position of a line

I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB and add/replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the end of line

Dear All I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Search for a string and to extract the string from the text

Hi Team I have an huge xml where i need to search for a ceratin numbers. For example 2014-05-06 15:15:41,498 INFO WebContainer : 10 CommonServicesLogs - CleansingTriggerService.invokeCleansingService Entered PUBSUB NOTIFY MESSAGE () - <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kannannair
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search String, Out matched text and input text for no match.

I need to search a string for some specific text which is no big deal using grep. My problem is when the search fails to find the text. I need to add text like "na" when my search does not match. I have tried this command but it does not work when I put the command in a loop in a bash script: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojojmac5
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string and display its location on the entire string and make a text file

I want to search a small string in a large string and find the locations of the string. For this I used grep "string" -ob <file name where the large string is stored>. Now this gives me the locations of that string. Now how do I store these locations in a text file. Please use CODE tags as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANKIT ROY
7 Replies
DH_USRLOCAL(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_USRLOCAL(1)

NAME
dh_usrlocal - migrate usr/local directories to maintainer scripts SYNOPSIS
dh_usrlocal [debhelperoptions] [-n] DESCRIPTION
dh_usrlocal is a debhelper program that can be used for building packages that will provide a subdirectory in /usr/local when installed. It finds subdirectories of usr/local in the package build directory, and removes them, replacing them with maintainer script snippets (unless -n is used) to create the directories at install time, and remove them when the package is removed, in a manner compliant with Debian policy. These snippets are inserted into the maintainer scripts by dh_installdeb. See dh_installdeb(1) for an explanation of debhelper maintainer script snippets. When the Rules-Requires-Root field is not (effectively) binary-targets, the directories in /usr/local will have ownership root:staff and the mode will be 02775. These values have been chosen to comply with the recommendations of the Debian policy for directories in /usr/local. When Rules-Requires-Root has an effective value of binary-targets, the owners, groups and permissions will be preserved with one exception. If the directory is owned by root:root, then ownership will be reset to root:staff and mode will be reset to 02775. This is useful, since that is the group and mode policy recommends for directories in /usr/local. OPTIONS
-n, --no-scripts Do not modify postinst/prerm scripts. NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command. Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 2.2 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Andrew Stribblehill <ads@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_USRLOCAL(1)