Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Access time of a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Access time of a file Post 302232336 by broli on Thursday 4th of September 2008 09:41:06 AM
Old 09-04-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluiken
It's the time a process last accessed it to read/write contents.
i read somewhere the documentation for the c function stat, and describe what type of access changed the mod time.
im sure that tail (awk, head, and surely more) dont change it

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Semi-operators using Root access all the time ?

I am just curious about your opinion on something which I am against. I work at the client location. Our office is very small (4 employees + 1 teamlead where 1 employee per 12hrs shifts) and we are responsible to process the reception of external files into the client's database via some tools.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
3 Replies

2. Programming

time access in C

I've a problem with time functions in C. I get current time and convert it to local time and gmt time. But their value seems to be same.I think I'm missing something.. #include <stdio.h> #include <memory.h> #include <time.h> int main() { time_t now_local, now_gmt; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need the last access time for a .gz file

i have file named aaaa. The file aaaa was zipped on one particular time. Need to know the command to find out when the file "aaaa" was actually zipped. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: expert
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File access time does not change on some files

Hey All, I want to get the access time of files in a directory. I used ls -lu on a directory and picked a file that had the access time of Mar 1 and used cat to get the contents of the file. Then I used the ls -lu again and the access time changed on that file. Perfect !! Now if I cat a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipulgupta0
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to get access time of a file upto the precision of seconds?

Hi , How can I get the last access time of a file upto the precesion of seconds in Unix. I cannot use stat as this is not supported. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanus
10 Replies

6. Red Hat

File access time issue

Hi, I am facing a weird file access time issue on redHat5.x. I have a program which will scan the files in the NFS system and delete files which are older than 4 days, before deleting files program will print the access time of the file. Some of the files are getting deleted which are not older... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Access time of files and directories

My query please: What I saw how access times of a file and directories work. 1) For a file the access time is the time when I 1st access it after last modification of the file, i.e., if the file is modified at 10 AM and then I access it at 11 AM. After than whenever I access without... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does 'grep' update a file's access date/time?

I've got a job that finds and removes trace files based upon an access time of more than seven days (I've also tried a modify date). find TABC* -atime +7 -exec rm + find TABC* -mtime +7 -exec rm + Whether I use -atime or -mtime, the process seems to work sporadically. Sometimes it removes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
6 Replies

9. Programming

Memory and cache access time discrepancy

#include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<sys/time.h> #include<time.h> #include "rdtsc.h" #define SIZE 4*64*1024 int main() { unsigned long long a,b; int arr={0}; int i; register int r; a=rdtsc(); r=arr; b=rdtsc(); printf("1st element Access Cycles = %llu\n",b-a); (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhavs1985
2 Replies
Tcl_Access(3)						      Tcl Library Procedures						     Tcl_Access(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_Access, Tcl_Stat - check file permissions and other attributes SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> int Tcl_Access(path, mode) int Tcl_Stat(path, statPtr) ARGUMENTS
char *path (in) Native name of the file to check the attributes of. int mode (in) Mask consisting of one or more of R_OK, W_OK, X_OK and F_OK. R_OK, W_OK and X_OK request checking whether the file exists and has read, write and execute permissions, respectively. F_OK just requests checking for the existence of the file. struct stat *statPtr (out) The structure that contains the result. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
As of Tcl 8.4, the object-based APIs Tcl_FSAccess and Tcl_FSStat should be used in preference to Tcl_Access and Tcl_Stat, wherever possi- ble. There are two reasons for calling Tcl_Access and Tcl_Stat rather than calling system level functions access and stat directly. First, the Windows implementation of both functions fixes some bugs in the system level calls. Second, both Tcl_Access and Tcl_Stat (as well as Tcl_OpenFileChannelProc) hook into a linked list of functions. This allows the possibility to reroute file access to alternative media or access methods. Tcl_Access checks whether the process would be allowed to read, write or test for existence of the file (or other file system object) whose name is pathname. If pathname is a symbolic link on Unix, then permissions of the file referred by this symbolic link are tested. On success (all requested permissions granted), zero is returned. On error (at least one bit in mode asked for a permission that is denied, or some other error occurred), -1 is returned. Tcl_Stat fills the stat structure statPtr with information about the specified file. You do not need any access rights to the file to get this information but you need search rights to all directories named in the path leading to the file. The stat structure includes info regarding device, inode (always 0 on Windows), privilege mode, nlink (always 1 on Windows), user id (always 0 on Windows), group id (always 0 on Windows), rdev (same as device on Windows), size, last access time, last modification time, and creation time. If path exists, Tcl_Stat returns 0 and the stat structure is filled with data. Otherwise, -1 is returned, and no stat info is given. KEYWORDS
stat, access Tcl 8.1 Tcl_Access(3)