Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rescheduling perl script using at command Post 302232095 by DILEEP410 on Wednesday 3rd of September 2008 10:43:09 PM
Old 09-03-2008
Java

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Dragon
If it were me doing this script though, I'd probably have it go to sleep for 1800 seconds instead of using at like this, but I suspect it's just a matter of preferance Smilie
fine.But my question is if i go with your way of letting the script sleep for 1800 seconds, the entire code remains in memory for 30 minutes,right?
But if i reschedule it the memory will be free for 30 minutes.

Since the server is supposed to run a lot of cron jobs may be simultaneously,is better to think from memory perspective.

Please correct me if am wrong,because am not an expert in this!

With Regards
Dileep Pattayath

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can call perl script as command?

Hello say i have written some perl scripts , now i like to call them in my unix shell as unix command like "more" , "ls" , "grep" so that my say perl script called "foo.pl" will be called from every where as "foo" or "foo arg1 arg2"? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get command alias name in perl script?

hi all, In my perl script, I need to know the command alias name to make my program flexible. I tried many methods like system("alias cmd"), `alias cmd`, use shell qw,etc. But no one could recognize the built in command alias. If I use `which cmd`, it would look for the command based on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktmchen
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Accessing array elements within a sed command in Perl script

I am trying to use a script to replace the header of each file, whose filename are stored within the array $test, using the sed command within a Perl script as follows: $count = 0; while ( $count < $#test ) { `sed -e 's/BIOGRF 321/BIOGRF 332/g' ${test} > 0`; `cat 0 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab Rescheduling

Hi, I want to weekly schedule a script execution (using crontab) but only if the system load is low. My question is: If the script does not be executed ( because of high load ) how can I re-schedule the cronjob to run after some minutes? I want the re-scheduling to be executed until the final... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tdakanalis
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab Rescheduling

Hi, I want to weekly schedule a script execution (using crontab) but only if the system load is low. My question is: If the script does not be executed ( because of high load ) how can I re-schedule the cronjob to run after some minutes? I want the re-scheduling to be executed until the final... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab Rescheduling

Hi, I want to weekly schedule a script execution (using crontab) but only if the system load is low. My question is: If the script does not be executed ( because of high load ) how can I re-schedule the cronjob to run after some minutes? I want the re-scheduling to be executed until the final... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send "perl -e '...' " command through SSH, from a perl script

Hey guys I am trying to send a perl -e command to a number of systems using SSH. The command should retrieve some information for me. The problem is, the remote shell tries to interpolate my variables and doesn't get it should take the command literally and just execute it. Below the code.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clrg
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script command line option driven script

could someone show me a sample command line option driven script? i want to see an easy way to write one and how i can execute it using command line options such as typing in read.pl -i <id> -c <cmds> -s <start> -e <end> would read out all the commands run by ID . from start time to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpddong
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl/unix: script in command line works but not in perl

so in unix this command works works and shows me a list of directories find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt but when i try running a perl script to run this command my $query = 'find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpddong
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using UNIX command in perl script.

I wish to know if there is any limitation in using unix commands in perl script or it is just we should avoid using them in our perl script. For e.g Below is the command to get the recent file in a dir.: $lcsvFile = `cd "$l_inputfilepath";ls -1t *.CSV|tail -1` Is there any harm in coding... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet. -t, --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Output help and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux September 2011 SCRIPT(1)