Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers regex on first string in a variable. Post 302231801 by radoulov on Wednesday 3rd of September 2008 07:28:36 AM
Old 09-03-2008
Code:
for sem in s62464053 m53267 s23760930 452629; do
  case $sem in
    [sm]* ) printf "${sem#?}\n";;
        * ) printf "$sem\n";;
  esac		
done

With some recent shells (bash, ksh93, zsh):

Code:
for sem in s62464053 m53267 s23760930 452629; do
  [[ "$sem" == [sm]* ]] && 
    printf "${sem#?}\n" || 
	  printf "$sem\n"		
done

Or just:

Code:
sem=(s62464053 m53267 s23760930 452629)
printf "%s\n" "${sem[@]/[sm]}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regex in variable

Hello! I have problems with syntax... I want a variable, that contains regex... is it possible? Like $ a='.+->.+' and then use it in index ($0, "a"). I guess it won't work... thank you :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alias47
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Regex string opperation

I'm working on a basic log parser in perl. Input file looks like: len: 120713 foo bar file size of: testdir1/testdir1/testdir1/testdir1/testfile0 is 120713Of course there are tens of thousands of lines... I'm trying to compare the len and filesize values. #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkozel
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using regex to get part of a string ?

Hi there, i wonder, is it possible to use regular expressions to partially select a string? I have a bunch of server names which look like this server1z-test server2z2 server45z-primary server13z3 I want to extract up to and including the 'z' in the server name, so for example ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering out duplicate substrings, regex string from a string

My input contains a single word lines. From each line data.txt prjtestBlaBlatestBlaBla prjthisBlaBlathisBlaBla prjthatBlaBladpthatBlaBla prjgoodBlaBladpgoodBlaBla prjgood1BlaBla123dpgood1BlaBla123 Desired output --> data_out.txt prjtestBlaBla prjthisBlaBla... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Regex, string matching

Hi, I've a logfile which i need to parse and get the logs depending upon the user input. here, i'm providing an option to enter the string which can be matched with the log entries. e.g. one of the logfile entry reads like this - $str = " mpgw(BLUESOAPFramework):... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterfly20
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regex and variable assignment

Hi there, I really didn't want to have to waste people's time and ask this, but after 2 hours and running out of my own time I've decided to ask.. Basically I have a file in the format: word: other words; more words here; last word word: more words here; last word (etc) x 100 Where the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maximus73
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String regex comparisons

Here is the sample code: str1="abccccc" str2="abc?" if ]; then echo "same string" else echo "different string" fi Given that ? implies 0 or 1 match of preceding character, I was expecting the output to be "different string", but I am seeing "same string". Am I not using the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rameshck
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with regex containing one string but not the other

Hi to you all, I'm just struggling with a regex problem and I'm pretty sure that I'm missing sth obvious... :confused: I need a regex to feed my grep in order to find lines that contain one string but not the other. Here's the data example: 2015-04-08 19:04:55,926|xxxxxxxxxx| ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresing
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using RegEx with variable within bash if [[ ]]

I stumbled upon a problem, which I simplified to this: There is a list of numbers, stored in variable $LIST, lets use `seq 5 25` for demonstration. There is a number that should be compared against this list. For demonstration I use user input - read VALUE I am trying to compare RegEx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zorbeg
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if string variable is a subset of another string variable

Below is my ksh shell script where I need to check if variable fileprops is a subset of $1 argument. echo "FILE PROPERTY: $fileprops" echo "PARAMETER3: $1" if ; then echo "We are Good. $line FILE is found to be INTACT !! " else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
sem_close(3)						     Library Functions Manual						      sem_close(3)

NAME
sem_close - Deallocates the specified named semaphore (P1003.1b) LIBRARY
Realtime Library (librt.so, librt.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <semaphore.h> int sem_close ( sem_t *sem) ; PARAMETERS
sem References the semaphore to be closed. Use the sem argument returned by the previous call to sem_open. DESCRIPTION
The sem_close function makes a semaphore available for reuse by deallocating any system resources allocated for use by the current process for the named semaphore indicated by sem. If the semaphore has not been removed with a call to sem_unlink, sem_close does not change the current state of the semaphore. If the semaphore has been removed with a call to sem_unlink after the most recent call to sem_open with O_CREAT, the semaphore is no longer available after all processes that opened the semaphore close it. RETURN VALUES
On a successful call, a value of 0 (zero) is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate that an error occurred. ERRORS
The sem_close function fails under the following condition: [EINVAL] The sem argument is not a valid semaphore descriptor. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: sem_init(3), sem_open(3), sem_unlink(3) Guide to Realtime Programming delim off sem_close(3)