Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl regular expressions and field search Post 302231434 by bwreed on Tuesday 2nd of September 2008 09:46:16 AM
Old 09-02-2008
Also look at the substr command, and determine which better suits your needs between unpack and substr.

Your first step is being sure what you need - search within certain columns, or searching by field.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regular expressions...

I am writing script that will act like the 'comm' utility. My problem is when trying to read whether the user has entered -123 or -1 or -1...etc. I currently have: if(m/??/g){ print "Good.\n"; } So, this should check for all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DrRo183
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expressions HELP - PERL

Hello, $line=USING (FILE '/TEST1/FILENAME'5000) I want to reterive the value between ' and ) which is 5000 here. i have tried out the following expressions ... Type 1 : $Var1=`sed -e 's/.*\' //' -e 's\).*$/' $line`; Type 2 : $Var1=`echo $line | awk -F"\'" '{print $2}' | awk -F"\\)"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxmave
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions HELP - PERL

Hello, $line=USING (FILE '/TEST1/FILENAME'5000) I want to reterive the value between ' and ) which is 5000 here. i have tried out the following expressions ... Type 1 : $Var1=`sed -e 's/.*\' //' -e 's\).*$/' $line`; Type 2 : $Var1=`echo $line | awk -F"\'" '{print $2}' | awk -F"\\)"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Replace with regular expressions

Hello I have this regular expression: </book>(?:\n)<collection>(.*)</collectioninfo> And I have this peace of text on a FILE <book bookid="3" title="the title 3" remaining = "50" price="100"> <reader readerid="1"><!]></reader> <reader readerid="2"><!]></reader> <reader... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dirdamalah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions - Perl

Hello everybody, I am trying to connect from hp-ux to win 2003 using perl's Net::Telnet module. Seeing the examples in couple of web sites, I saw I have to declare a Prompt => Can somebody please tell me what my regular expression should be? The prompt after I log in is: ... login:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whatever
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions using perl script

i have a set of regular expressions. The words in the regular expression should be used to replace the i/p with hyphens '---'. i need perl script to evaluate these regular expression. the words in the regexes when found in the i/p file should be replaced with hyphens '---'. the set of regular... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sgiri1
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regular expressions don't like the @ ("at") sign.

Take a look at this code: #!/usr/bin/perl use 5.008; $_ = "somename@address.com"; if(/\@\w+\.com/) { print "\n\nmight be an email address\n\n"; } else { print "\n\nnot an email address\n\n"; } Shouldn't the /\@\w+\.com/ evaluate as true? I've also tried: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
3 Replies

8. Programming

Which language is best suited for regular expressions perl,python.ruby ?

Hello all, i am in a bit of dilema here. i dont know any thing about perl or python. only know a little bit of awk. now unable to take a decission as to which language to go for. my requirement is building a testing framework.suite which will execute ssytem comands remotely on unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Regular Expressions - Match complete word only

Hi Team, I have two strings like: xxx|yyy|Arizona Cardinals| Tell Cardinals | Cardinals bbb|Bell Earn, Jr | Bell Earn | Jayhawks | hawks I have a lookup file which has a set of strings. These need to be removed from above two strings Lookup file Contents: Bell Earn, Jr hawks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL Regular Expressions

im trying to extract some tags between and in a file..for eg..the file format is I want the and extracted from the file i.e the tags which is present b/w and I have the regex for extracting the tags from the whole file but how to specify my search within the and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkrishna89
1 Replies
bytes(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 bytes(3pm)