Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux problem to format linux partition Post 302231357 by praneshmishra08 on Tuesday 2nd of September 2008 07:16:21 AM
Old 09-02-2008
problem to format linux partition

hi friends
one week ago, i have installed fedoa 9 on my home pc.
i already have windows xp on that machine.
unfortunately my windows xp has corrupted.
again i want to install windows xp but it is not installing.
will i format my linux partition or some other option is there.
please help me
thanks always

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

format fat partition in unix

I got a FAT partition mounted as /mnt, as I believed you only can mount partitions when they are formated, but when I want to copy a file to the /mnt partition I only get errors...should I format it or do I have to change settings? I only can work through the "WebMin" (a GREAT TOOL!) cause I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NaRtHeXs
2 Replies

2. Linux

how to create new partition in Linux

i want to create on directory called /data under "/ " . but when i m using mkdir /data it is telling permission denied. could any one tell me how to do it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

3. Linux

How do I defragmemt a partition on Linux?

conveyed my question in short; need urgent help. -ilan (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilan
7 Replies

4. Solaris

How to use FORMAT and PARTITION command on Solaris 9

I am seeking advice from experts in this forum. Please help me. I have tow disks on Sun Sparc box. Disk one has been installed Solaris 9 system. The disk two has been partitioned as one disk with 140 GB on the partition /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s6. Right now, I want to modify it as two partitions. I have... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
8 Replies

5. Red Hat

Help me to format partition

Dear all! I'm reading to install Oracle 10g using ASM in single Database on RHEL 5. The only one hard-disk was 320gb on this machine, so, I just want to device the un-formatted disk into 4 raws device. http://gi132.photobucket.com/groups/q34/Q42288CMBQ/1.jpg ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trantuananh24hg
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux mail format problem

I am trying to use Linux mail command on red hat linux. It is working fine except when there is hardcoded "\n" characters in the file content i want to send. It is literally taking "\n" as text and message is not getting formatted to give newliine effect. I am using the following command: cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fundoo.code
3 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can I format a partition in Linux with FAT32 or NTFS?

I tried in fedora 9 to format a partition with FAT32 or NTFS but failed mkfs -t NTFS /dev/sdb3 mkfs -t FAT32 /dev/sdb3 In both the output says the the device isn't present. the output is something like this: mkfs.FAT32: no device present mkfs.NTFS: no device present I am able to format in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Resize Linux partition

Hello., Could any one please share the informaiton about this or please point me the reference : Assume, we have the following partition after linux machine is setup, it will mention like this : bash$ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/xvda2 10G... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alnhk
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

The problem in the new partition

hi I created a new partition ls -l /dev/sda* brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Oct 21 12:29 /dev/sda brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 Oct 12 11:19 /dev/sda1 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 10 Oct 21 13:50 /dev/sda10 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 2 Oct 12 11:19 /dev/sda2 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 3 Oct... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnnn
3 Replies
XInstallColormap()														XInstallColormap()

Name
  XInstallColormap - install a colormap.

Synopsis
  XInstallColormap(display, colormap_return)
	Display *display;
	Colormap colormap_return;

Arguments
  display   Specifies a connection to an X server; returned from XOpenDisplay().

colormap_return
	    Specifies the colormap to install.

Description
  XInstallColormap()  installs a virtual colormap into a hardware colormap.  If there is only one hardware colormap, XInstallColormap() loads
  a virtual colormap into the hardware colormap.  All windows associated with this colormap immediately display  with  their  chosen  colors.
  Other windows associated with the old colormap will display with false colors.  If additional hardware colormaps are possible, XInstallCol-
  ormap() loads the new hardware map and keeps the existing ones.  Other windows will then remain in their true colors unless the  limit  for
  colormaps has been reached.  If the maximum number of allowed hardware colormaps is already installed, an old colormap is swapped out.  The
  MinCmapsOfScreen(screen) and MaxCmapsOfScreen(screen) macros can be used to determine how many hardware colormaps are supported.

If colormap_return is not already an installed map, a ColormapNotify event is generated  on  every  window  having  colormap_return  as  an
  attribute.   If  a colormap is uninstalled as a result of the install, a ColormapNotify event is generated on every window having that col-
  ormap as an attribute.

Colormaps are usually installed and uninstalled by the window manager, not by clients.  At any time, there is a  subset  of  the  installed
  colormaps,  viewed  as  an ordered list, called the "required list."	The length of the required list is at most the min_maps specified for
  each screen in the Display structure.  When a colormap is installed with XInstallColormap() it is added to the head of  the  required  list
  and  the last colormap in the list is removed if necessary to keep the length of the list at min_maps.  When a colormap is uninstalled with
  XUninstallColormap() and it is in the required list, it is removed from the list.  No other actions by the server or the client change  the
  required list.  It is important to realize that on all but high-performance workstations, min_maps is likely to be 1.  If the hardware col-
  ormap is immutable, and therefore installing any colormap is impossible, XInstallColormap() will work but not do anything.

For more information, see Volume One, Chapter 7, Color.

Errors
  BadColor  Invalid colormap.

See Also
  XDefaultColormap(), XDisplayCells(), XCopyColormapAndFree(), XCreateColormap(), XFreeColormap(), XGetStandardColormap(), XListInstalledCol-
  ormaps(), XSetStandardColormap(), XSetWindowColormap(), XUninstallColormap().

Xlib - Colormaps														XInstallColormap()