Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Writing to remote file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing to remote file Post 302231337 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 2nd of September 2008 06:38:30 AM
Old 09-02-2008
Unless the remote file is on a network mounted filesystem (like NFS) there is no simple way.

You can
1. ftp the file to your local directory
2. write the file
3. ftp it back again.

Also try ssh - you can issue remote commands like
echo "something" >> /path/to/remotefile
which write the file without having to drag it back and forth over the network.

NET::ftp is perl. Advanced programming in perl will let you create a client server app using sockets. See perldoc IO::Socket - you can create a client/server app over tcp with just that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem writing file path to txt file

if test -z "$1" then echo "you must give a filename or filepath" else path=`dirname $1` f_name =`basename $1` if path="." then path=`pwd` fi fi cat $f_name $path >> index.txt The only problem I am encountering with this is writing $path to index.txt Keeps going gaga: cat:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vintage_hegoog
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing rows in same file and writing the result in new file

Help needed... Can you tell me how to compare the last two couple entries in a file and print their result in new file..:confused: I have one file Check1.txt \abc1 12345 \abc2 12327 \abc1 12345 \abc2 12330 I want to compare the entries in Check1 and write to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kichu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing file name and date from LS command into a file to be imported into mysql

I am looking to do a ls on a folder and have the output of the ls be structured so that is is modificaiton date, file name with the date in a format that is compatible with mysql. I am trying to build a table that stores the last modification date of certain files so I can display it on some web... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: personalt
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file extracting information writing to a file

Hi I am trying to extract information out of a file but keep getting grep cant open errors the code is below: #bash #extract orders with blank address details # # obtain the current date # set today to the current date ccyymmdd format today=`date +%c%m%d | cut -c24-31` echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help in not fetching a file while file writing operation is not completed

Hi All, We have a Unix program in oracle when we run the program this connects to specified ftp and will get the file into local server. We are facing a problem like when file writing operations is not completed, this program is getting the incomplete file. Could anyone please help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: world.apps
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a script that will take the first line from each file and store it in an output file

Hi, I have 1000 files names data1.txt through data1000.txt inside a folder. I want to write a script that will take each first line from the files and write them as output into a new file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - writing matching pattern to a new file and deleting it from the current file

Hello , I have comma delimited file with over 20 fileds that i need to do some validations on. I have to check if certain fields are null and then write the line containing the null field into a new file and then delete the line from the current file. Can someone tell me how i could go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Syslog Messages from Remote Server are not writing to Log File Anymore

Hello All, Server: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11.3 (x86_64) Syslog-ng Version: syslog-ng 2.0.9 We have configured a Cisco router to send it's log messages to this server listed above. This has been working just perfectly for the last couple months, but we had never setup the log... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store remote variable from remote cat file ??

I am trying to cat on a file located on remote server and assign it to remote variable. I have both local and remote variables. Running below script from local. test.sh J_NAME=XXX2 J_IP=XXX ssh $J_IP "ps auxw |grep java | grep -v grep |grep $J_NAME | awk '{print ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
2 Replies
nfs(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    nfs(7)

NAME
nfs, NFS - network file system DESCRIPTION
The Network File System (NFS) allows a client node to perform transparent file access over the network. By using NFS, a client node oper- ates on files residing on a variety of servers and server architectures, and across a variety of operating systems. File access calls on the client (such as read requests) are converted to NFS protocol requests and sent to the server system over the network. The server receives the request, performs the actual file system operation, and sends a response back to the client. NFS operates in a stateless manner using remote procedure calls (RPC) built on top of an external data representation (XDR) protocol. The RPC protocol enables version and authentication parameters to be exchanged for security over the network. A server grants access to a specific file system to clients by adding an entry for that file system to the server's file. A client gains access to that file system using the command to request a file handle for the file system (see mount(1M)). (A file handle is the means by which NFS identifies remote files.) Once a client mounts the file system, the server issues a file handle to the client for each file (or directory) the client accesses. If the file is removed on the server side, the file handle becomes stale (dissociated with a known file), and the server returns an error with set to A server can also be a client with respect to file systems it has mounted over the network; however, its clients cannot directly access those file systems. If a client attempts to mount a file system for which the server is an NFS client, the server returns with set to The client must mount the file system directly from the server on which the file system resides. The user ID and group ID mappings must be the same between client and server. However, the server maps UID 0 (the superuser) to UID -2 before performing access checks for a client. This process prevents gaining superuser privileges on remote file systems. RETURN VALUE
Generally, physical disk I/O errors detected at the server are returned to the client for action. If the server is down or inaccessible, the client receives the message: where is the hostname of the NFS server. The client continues resending the request until it receives an acknowledgement from the server. Therefore, the server can crash or power down, and come back up without any special action required by the client. The client process requesting the I/O will block, but remains sensitive to signals (unless mounted with the option) until the server recovers. However, if mounted with the option, the client process returns an error instead of waiting indefinitely. AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
exportfs(1M), share(1M), mount(1M), mount_nfs(1M), nfsd(1M), mount(2), fstab(4), dfstab(4). nfs(7)