Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers copy all files and folders and cjange or remove ownership Post 302231119 by misterm on Monday 1st of September 2008 06:29:53 PM
Old 09-01-2008
Thanks for the reply.

I just this minute go tit to work.

I copied the files as mentioned above then used chgrp -R to change th egroup ownership. I could then log in under a different user via ftp and download the files.

Thanks again for the suggestions

Mr M

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command to copy files with original ownership

Hi, I need a command that to copy files from others and to keep files' ownership. Example: I copy file.txt from users "abc" to my local, and file.txt is own by user "abc" in local. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: need_help
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy some files from users home folders to my folder

i have users home directories in /home all the users have some files starting with character e and i want to copy all these files in a folder in my (root) home using a script i tried the script for i in m5 do cd m5 cp e1* /home/pc/exam cd .. done but get these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcrana
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Helppppppp I need script Copy permissions of files and folders from one server to another

Helpppppppppppppp Hi.. I have 2 servers with linux suse10. I made a mistake and on one of the servers changed with chmod the permission of root in directory /. In the other servers the permissions are correct Please i need a script, to change the permissions of one server 1, using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ave-phoenix
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need script Copy permissions of files and folders from one server to another

Hi.. I have 2 servers with linux suse10. I made a mistake and on one of the servers changed with chmod the permission of root in directory /. In the other servers the permissions are correct Please i need a script, to change the permissions of one server 1, using the same permission of the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ave-phoenix
11 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows mass copy files with same name in differnt folders

I have files existing with same names in the folders with date as display below c:\2010-09-10 <==== folder arr1.jpg arr2.jpg arr3.jpg arr4.jpg c:\2010-09-09 <==== folder arr1.jpg arr2.jpg c:\2010-09-08 <==== folder arr2.jpg arr3.jpg arr4.jpg ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy mutilple files to mutiple folders

Hi, I just started to learn shell progamming and just can't get my head around the following problem. I need to do the following: I have a folder which contains 100+ subfolders. Inside these subfolders there is one folder named 'Morph' and several jpg's. I need to copy all the files into... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: M474746
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop folders, delete files, copy new ones

Folks, I am hopeful that you may be able to help me out with writing a script that can be run nightly (as cron?) to loop through all subfolders within the "/media" directory, delete all of the files in each of them, and then copy in all of the files from the "/home//sansa" directory to each of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: acraig
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files

Hi, I need help in shell scripting. If someone can help me, that would be great! Problem. I want Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files. Description. I have two directories /dir1 /dir2 I need to copy all distinct/new/unique/missing files from /dir1 and that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S.Praveen Kumar
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Recursive copy of Folders with files

Dear All, I will appreciate any help received. Our system is running on hpux v1 My problem is as follows: We have many customer folders with name fd000100, fd000101 and so on e.g. (Testrun)(testsqa):/>ll /TESTrun/fd000100 total 48 drwxrwx--- 2 fq000100 test 96 Jun 27 2004... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhbd
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies
CHGRP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  CHGRP(1)

NAME
chgrp -- change group SYNOPSIS
chgrp [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chgrp utility sets the group ID of the file named by each file operand to the group ID specified by the group operand. The following options are available: -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed). -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. This is the default. -R Change the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -f The force option ignores errors, except for usage errors and doesn't query about strange modes (unless the user does not have proper permissions). -h If the file is a symbolic link, the group ID of the link itself is changed rather than the file that is pointed to. -v Cause chgrp to be verbose, showing files as the group is modified. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The group operand can be either a group name from the group database, or a numeric group ID. If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the operand is used as a group name. The user invoking chgrp must belong to the specified group and be the owner of the file, or be the super-user. DIAGNOSTICS
The chgrp utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
In previous versions of this system, symbolic links did not have groups. The -v option is non-standard and its use in scripts is not recommended. FILES
/etc/group group ID file SEE ALSO
chown(2), fts(3), group(5), passwd(5), symlink(7), chown(8) STANDARDS
The chgrp utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
March 31, 1994 BSD