Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Set shell variables from SQLPLUS query results Post 302231078 by radoulov on Monday 1st of September 2008 02:26:38 PM
Old 09-01-2008
Or:

Code:
dbname=$(sqlplus -s '/ as sysdba'<<\!
set pages 0 feed off
select name from v$database;
!
)

With recent bash (>=3 IIRC):

Code:
printf -vdbname 'set pages 0 feed off\nselect name from v$database;' | 
  sqlplus -s '/ as sysdba'

Last edited by radoulov; 09-01-2008 at 03:32 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sql query results in unix shell script

Hi I want to get the a field from a SQL query into unix shell script variable. the whole situation is like this. 1. Opened a cursor to a table in DB2 databse. 2. Fetching individual rows with the help of cursor. 3. Each row has 4 fields. I want each of the field in individual shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle Query results to be stored in variables

Hi I would like to know if there is a way to just have one ORACLE connection established, using which we can execute different queries and store the results under different variables. For e.g the following uses to two silent ORACLE connection to store the result under two different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokjaysiv
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a csh script, can I set a variable to the result of an SQLPLUS select query?

Can someone tell me why I'm getting error when I try to run this? #!/bin/csh -f source ~/.cshrc # set SQLPLUS = ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/sqlplus # set count=`$SQLPLUS -s ${DB_LOGIN} << END select count(1) from put_groups where group_name='PC' and description='EOD_EVENT' and serial_number=1;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregrobinsonhd
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle Query results to be stored in variables using unix

I want to store the sql query output into a variable #!/bin/ksh ORACLE_SID=DB01; export ORACLE_SID; export FILE_PATH=/home/asg/Tmp # Order Checking echo " removing old files " rm $FILE_PATH/Malformed_Order.txt echo " Enter the Malformed Order ....!" read orders echo "Regrade... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nareshp
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL/Plus in a coprocess example. Also saves query results into shell variables

While assisting a forum member, I recommended running SQL/Plus in a coprocess (to make database connections and run a test script) for the duration of his script rather than starting/stopping it once for every row in a file he was processing. I recalled I made a coprocess example for folks at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with storing oracle sqlplus query output shell script

Hello everyone, I have a RHEL 5 system and have been trying to get a batch of 3-4 scripts each in a separate variables and they are not working as expected. I tried using following syntax which I saw a lot of people on this site use and should really work, though for some reason it doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Query Results to Variables

Hello, I am very new to shell scripting and I am not sure of how best to handle the following scenario. I need to query a list of values from a table. I need to store those results and use them to selectively delete values in yet another table in a separate database. I do know how to store the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flowervz
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Assign SQL Query Results to Variables in Linux?

Hi, I am new to linux... How to Assign SQL Query Results to Variables in Linux,i want ti generate it in param files, Can anyone please explain me. Ex: SQL> Select * from EMP; O/P: Emp_No Emp_Name 1 AAA 2 BBB 3 CCC and I want expected... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sravana Kumar
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass Variable from shell script to select query for SqlPlus?

echo "set echo off"; echo "set feedback off"; echo "set linesize 4000"; echo " set pagesize 0"; echo " set sqlprompt ''"; echo " set trimspool on"; Select statement is mentioned below echo "select res.ti_book_no from disney_ticket_history res where res.ti_status =${STATUS} and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script (ksh) - SQLPlus query filter using a string variable

Using ksh, I am using SQLPlus to execute a query with a filter using a string variable. REPO_DB=DEV1 FOLDER_NM='U_nmalencia' FOLDER_CHECK=$(sqlplus -s /nolog <<EOF CONNECT user/pswd_select@${REPO_DB} set echo off heading off feedback off select subj_name from subject where... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkm0brm
5 Replies
PDO_MYSQL-DSN(3)							 1							  PDO_MYSQL-DSN(3)

PDO_MYSQL DSN - Connecting to MySQL databases

The PDO_MYSQL Data Source Name (DSN) is composed of the following elements:

o DSN prefix
		- The DSN prefix is mysql:.

o host - The hostname on which the database server resides.

o port - The port number where the database server is listening.

o dbname - The name of the database.

o unix_socket - The MySQL Unix socket (shouldn't be used with host or port).

o charset  - The character set. See the character set concepts documentation for more information.  Prior to PHP 5.3.6, this element
		was silently ignored. The same behaviour can be partly replicated with the PDO::MYSQL_ATTR_INIT_COMMAND driver option, as the fol-
		lowing example shows.

Warning

The  method  in  the  below  example  can only be used with character sets that share the same lower 7 bit representation as
		     ASCII, such as ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8. Users using character sets that have different representations (such as UTF-16 or  Big5)
		     must use the charset option provided in PHP 5.3.6 and later versions.

Example #1

Setting the connection character set to UTF-8 prior to PHP 5.3.6

<?php
		     $dsn = 'mysql:host=localhost;dbname=testdb';
		     $username = 'username';
		     $password = 'password';
		     $options = array(
			 PDO::MYSQL_ATTR_INIT_COMMAND => 'SET NAMES utf8',
		     );

$dbh = new PDO($dsn, $username, $password, $options);
		     ?>

+--------+-----------------------------------------------+
       |Version |						|
       |	|						|
       |	|		   Description			|
       |	|						|
       | 5.3.6	|						|
       |	|						|
       |	|  Prior to version 5.3.6, charset was ignored. |
       |	|						|
       Example #2

PDO_MYSQL DSN examples

The following example shows a PDO_MYSQL DSN for connecting to MySQL databases:

mysql:host=localhost;dbname=testdb

mysql:host=localhost;port=3307;dbname=testdb
	      mysql:unix_socket=/tmp/mysql.sock;dbname=testdb

Note

Unix only:

When  the host name is set to "localhost", then the connection to the server is made thru a domain socket. If PDO_MYSQL is compiled
	      against libmysqlclient then the location of the socket file is at libmysqlclient's compiled in location. If  PDO_MYSQL  is  compiled
	      against mysqlnd a default socket can be set thru the  pdo_mysql.default_socket setting.

PHP Documentation Group 													  PDO_MYSQL-DSN(3)