Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Writing to a file without echo it to the console !!!! Post 302231015 by amit_kv1983 on Monday 1st of September 2008 08:51:15 AM
Old 09-01-2008
removing the tee option will still echo the output to console.
Actually my requirement is to write to a file , without using echo. can tll me , if thr is another way to do it ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tailing new log file & echo the string on console

Guys, I do have a script that runs to take the server out from network, after running the script it is writing the new log file{outFile} in to directory . Now what i need is my script should tail the last modified file{outFile} & search the string {Server Status} ans should echo the same at the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows to Linux remote console using VNC brings up blank console screen with only mouse pointer

:confused:Hi This was installed on the Linux box a few weeks back by a guy that no longer works for us. All worked fine until last week. Now when we connect its just a blank screen with no icons. I get a whole bunch of errors when starting the service too: Tue Feb 23 14:29:45 2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of echo $$ differs in Script than console

Hi All, I have a very basic query for 'echo $$' command. When I am executing echo $$ on console then it is giving different output than the execution of echo $$ in a script. Console Output: ------------------------- bash-3.2$ echo $$ 15610 bash-3.2$ In Script:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing html to a file with echo

Hi, I'm having an issue with echo again. I keep getting errors and no file content with these commands in a script. --------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash WEBSITE=http://www.google.com touch test1.txt echo "replace("<body>","<body><iframe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Shell/Perl(?)] Prepending timestamps to console output & writing results to a file

I do a lot of TSM work and I embarked on what I thought would be an easy task, and I'd be very happy for any input to save the pounding my keyboard is receiving :] By default, the output of TSM's console has no timestamping, making it hard to sort through accurately. This puts my console into... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with writing to output - awk, echo

Hello all, I wrote this command line for some calculation on my given input files based on another input file which is a txt file. while read BAM REGION; do samtools view $BAM $REGION | awk '{if ($2==0) print $0}' | wc -l >>log.txt; echo "$REGION"; done >> log.txt <regions.txt It takes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - writing matching pattern to a new file and deleting it from the current file

Hello , I have comma delimited file with over 20 fileds that i need to do some validations on. I have to check if certain fields are null and then write the line containing the null field into a new file and then delete the line from the current file. Can someone tell me how i could go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Writing output to the console

Hi All, I have written one script in which am writting the result to the log file. I want to display the results on the console also if ; then echo "$result doesnot match with the host file">>InputHostsFileErrors.txt else echo "$result input matches with the host... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read each line from input file, assign variables, and echo to output file?

I've got a file that looks like this (spaces before first entries intentional): 12345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 22345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 32345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN I want to read through the file line by line,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
6 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)