Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users unable to extract Trademark(™) Character Post 302230871 by Annihilannic on Sunday 31st of August 2008 10:35:56 PM
Old 08-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosec
Could it be because the AIX character set does not allow this special character ?
Yes. However if you were to load the output file in a similar environment to the one where you were viewing the data originally you should still see the TM character, as at a binary level it should be unchanged.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extract a character

HI Guys, Have a Doubt...... I have a pattern "abcdef" and i need to extract the third character..ie(c) How to achieve it? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract character + 1

Hi, I would like extract from a file a character or pattern after ( n + 1) a specific pattern (n) . ( i supposed with awk) how could i do ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: francis_tom
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to read special character from the file

Hello All, We are getting files from sftp server through file transmission protocol & after transmission we are removing all the control M (^M) characters from them.we are expecting various kind of special characters in the files. we are tried removing '^M' characters through 'dos2unix' command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aquilis
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to extract bz2-00 file

I have a file having name smthing.tar.bz2-00 I am trying to unzip it using tar -xvjf "name" But I am not able to unzip it. PLease advise for the issue. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

5. Programming

Unable to assign zero to unsigned character array

Hi, I am unable to assign value zero to my variable which is defined as unsigned char. typedef struct ABCD { unsigned char abc; unsigned char def; unsigned char ghi; } ABCD; typedef ABCD *PABCD; In my Por*C code, i assign the values using memcpy like below ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gthangav
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Unable to extract .gz file using gunzip

Linux 3.8.13-16.2.1.el6uek.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 7 17:01:44 PST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Hi all, I am unable to extract .gz file using gunzip Used the following command to create the .gz file: nohup tar -cvpf - 11.2.0.4 | gzip -c >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unable to create new user without lower character

Hi friends, I want to create new user BG0001 in SunOS and getting below errorbash-3.2# useradd -d /home/BG0001 -m -s /bin/sh BG0001 UX: useradd: BG0001 name should have at least one lower case character. bash-3.2# bash-3.2# OS version is as belowbash-3.2# cat /etc/release ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepkmehra
7 Replies
Tcl_UtfToUpper(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_UtfToUpper(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_UniCharToUpper, Tcl_UniCharToLower, Tcl_UniCharToTitle, Tcl_UtfToUpper, Tcl_UtfToLower, Tcl_UtfToTitle - routines for manipulating the case of Unicode characters and UTF-8 strings SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_UniChar Tcl_UniCharToUpper(ch) Tcl_UniChar Tcl_UniCharToLower(ch) Tcl_UniChar Tcl_UniCharToTitle(ch) int Tcl_UtfToUpper(str) int Tcl_UtfToLower(str) int Tcl_UtfToTitle(str) ARGUMENTS
int ch (in) The Tcl_UniChar to be converted. char *str (in/out) Pointer to UTF-8 string to be converted in place. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The first three routines convert the case of individual Unicode characters: If ch represents a lower-case character, Tcl_UniCharToUpper returns the corresponding upper-case character. If no upper-case character is defined, it returns the character unchanged. If ch represents an upper-case character, Tcl_UniCharToLower returns the corresponding lower-case character. If no lower-case character is defined, it returns the character unchanged. If ch represents a lower-case character, Tcl_UniCharToTitle returns the corresponding title-case character. If no title-case character is defined, it returns the corresponding upper-case character. If no upper-case character is defined, it returns the character unchanged. Title-case is defined for a small number of characters that have a different appearance when they are at the beginning of a capitalized word. The next three routines convert the case of UTF-8 strings in place in memory: Tcl_UtfToUpper changes every UTF-8 character in str to upper-case. Because changing the case of a character may change its size, the byte offset of each character in the resulting string may differ from its original location. Tcl_UtfToUpper writes a null byte at the end of the converted string. Tcl_UtfToUpper returns the new length of the string in bytes. This new length is guaranteed to be no longer than the original string length. Tcl_UtfToLower is the same as Tcl_UtfToUpper except it turns each character in the string into its lower-case equivalent. Tcl_UtfToTitle is the same as Tcl_UtfToUpper except it turns the first character in the string into its title-case equivalent and all fol- lowing characters into their lower-case equivalents. BUGS
At this time, the case conversions are only defined for the ISO8859-1 characters. Unicode characters above 0x00ff are not modified by these routines. KEYWORDS
utf, unicode, toupper, tolower, totitle, case Tcl 8.1 Tcl_UtfToUpper(3)