Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Create directories with regular expression Post 302230813 by radoulov on Sunday 31st of August 2008 02:50:59 PM
Old 08-31-2008
[assuming no spaces or other pathological characters in the pattern]

Yes,
with AWK (you should use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris):
Code:
awk 'BEGIN {
  while (++i <= 10)
    args = args ? args FS sprintf("test%02d", i) : sprintf("test%02d", i)
  print "mkdir", args | "sh" 
}'

Or using a shell loop (assuming word splitting, so it won't work with default zsh configuration):

Code:
i=1
unset args
while [ $i -le 10 ]; do
  args="$args $(printf "test%02d" $i)"
  i=$(($i + 1))
done
mkdir $args

Last edited by radoulov; 08-31-2008 at 03:57 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if multiple directories exist else create missing directories

Hi , I 'm trying to check if multiple directories exist on a server, if not create the missing ones and print " creating missing directory. how to write this in a simple script, I have made my code complex if ; then taskStatus="Schema extract directory exists, checking if SQL,Count and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using regular expression for directories in find command

Hi, I want to find the files available in a directory /var/user/*/*/data/. I tried using the command "find /var/user/ -path '*/*/data/ -name '*' -type f" it says find: 0652-017 -path is not a valid option and then i tried using "find /var/user/ -name '*/*/data/*' -type f" but its not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothbabu12
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression

Hi, In Perl What should be the regular expression for 1-23. I tried with |1|2. But it is not working. I have a code snippet like below $state = 0; while( $state != 1 ) { $hour=<STDIN>; if ( $hour =~ /|1|2/) { print "Integer within range.\n"; $state = 1;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

7. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

8. Programming

How to use regular expression in C/C++ ?

how to code with regexp.h some one can give me instance? thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AKB48
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with Regular expression now working on file directories

Hello Everyone, I have a file sam1 with the below content SYSYSID;MANDT;/SIE/AD_Z0M_INDX;/SIE/AD_Z0M_KEY1 echo $Regex \bSYSYSID\b|\bMANDT\b|\b/SIE/AD_Z0M_INDX\b|\b/SIE/AD_Z0M_KEY1\b cat sam1 | grep -Eo $Regex I expect the result as SYSYSID MANDT /SIE/AD_Z0M_INDX /SIE/AD_Z0M_KEY1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)