Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: primary partition size
Operating Systems Linux primary partition size Post 302230755 by Lakris on Sunday 31st of August 2008 07:46:24 AM
Old 08-31-2008
Are there any existing partitions?
How much free space does it say it has?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Must they be installed in Primary partition?

Hi, there. I know FreeBSD must be installed in primary and Linux can be installed in extended. What about NetBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris for x86? They must be installed in primary, too? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
4 Replies

2. Solaris

inrease partition size

hi, i created a partition c1t0d0s5 sized 10gb and a soft partition on it. now i want to expand this size to 15gb (my hard disk is 36gb). anybody show me the way to do that, please. here are the outputs of the df and format commands: # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xuc_xich_duc
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Amend the size of a Partition Error

Hi guys, I'm fidling around Partition space on SMC and on changing partition size, or assiging an unused partition to "usr", or even trying to alter the disk layout I get: Attempted Format of Partition /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s3 failed with unexpected CIM error: CIM_ERR_FAILED:CIM_ERR_FAILED:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drchris
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Partition size calculations

Hi guys, I have an V100 server and I'm about to install solaris 8 on it (I have 10 on currently but most of my work is on 8 so I'm going to that). It would be easy for me to post system specs and get a recommendation, but what I'd like is to know HOW to calculate so that I can set up other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stin
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increasing the Size of the Samba Partition

Hi, Is there any command to increase the size of the samba partition when the samba share is online?? Regards Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Increase of partition Size In HP-UX

Experts, I want to know how to increase partion size in Hp-ux.Actually we installed oracle in separate part ion.As increase of database went to 99% :eek:.What ever data which is in it is important.so i dont want to delete any data in that partion.Now the size of that is 250 GB.I want the same to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveennella
2 Replies

7. Solaris

how to expand root partition size?

Dear All For installing an application that will seat under /opt , I need to increase my root partition size (/c0t0d0s0) . Can you please let me know how can I increase this partition size? Thank you (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check size of a partition

hi want to schedule a script for displaying the size of the partiition. For example df -g /dev/fslv03 2000.00 535.43 74% 179943 1% /nvbkp we have several mount point like this but i want to schedule script to display size of the above mount point only. Thanks Ankit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankit2012
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

10. Red Hat

Increasing size of root partition

Dear All , We need to increase the size of the root partition in a RHEL server. The model is Product Name: SUN FIRE X4170 SERVER. Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 119G 47G 67G 41% /... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
3 Replies
PART(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   PART(8)

NAME
part - partition table editor SYNOPSIS
part [device] ... DESCRIPTION
Part is a screen oriented partition table editor. While editing you will see six lines of numbers, the first line shows the device name and its geometry (number of cylinders, heads and sec- tors), the second shows the start and end of the drive or partition you are working on, the last four lines show the different partitions or subpartitions. All numbers except those on the second line can be edited. Question marks are showed instead of numbers if the parti- tion table is not loaded yet. You have to select a device and type 'r'. Editing is a simple matter of moving around with the arrow keys and changing the values with + and - (or PgUp and PgDn), or by typing the desired value. The '?' key will give a small list of commands, the '!' key gives advice on how to make a new entry. The spacebar toggles between showing the size of the partition and the last sector on the partition. Useful to check if a partition is adjacent to the next. The 'm' key is "magical", it lets you cycle through a set of interesting values for the base or size of a partition. These values are: Aligned to a cylinder, taped to other partitions (inside or outside), or filling out holes. Use this key! Minix subpartition tables or extended partitions may be edited after hitting the '>' key. The number of this partition will be shown after the device name on the second row, e.g. /dev/hd0:2. Minix subpartition tables are shown as is, but extended partition bases are trans- lated to absolute offsets on the screen to hide the gory details of their implementation from the innocent user. (Hit 'p' if you dare.) The '<' key will bring you back to the enclosing partition table. With arguments, part will use the given devices or files. Without arguments, part will use all interesting block devices in /dev sorted by device number and starting with /dev/hd0. Values that are out of range, overlapping, or otherwise strange are shown in reverse video. Values that may possibly be a problem for operating systems other then Minix are shown in bold characters. The name of the device is highlighted when it has not been read yet. Head or sector numbers are highlighted if the partition does not start or end at a cylinder boundary. The base and/or size field is highlighted if they fall outside the device, if they are inside some other partition, if the base equals the device's base (no room for the boot sector), or if the size is zero. Part complies with the good old UNIX tradition of trusting the user. It will write any table, no matter how bad. You have been warned. By the way, as far as Minix is concerned there is absolutely no reason to make partitions start precisely on a cylinder or track nor does it have to be an exact number of cylinders long. Minix only looks at the base and size of a partition, the geometry of the drive doesn't have to be correct. Other Operating systems can be very picky about partitions that are not aligned. Some partition editors may refuse to edit a table, others may even make a mess of the table. The only exception is the first partition, it traditionally starts on the first track, not the first cylinder. All editors must understand this. (Subpartition tables are Minix specific, so there is no reason at all for any alignment.) Extended Partitions Extended partitions are a mess that is only made slightly better by part by translating the base offsets to absolute numbers. It is better to use DOS fdisk to create them, but if you insist on using part then this is what they should look like: The extended partition entry in the primary partition table must cover the whole logical partition space within it. The area thus created is split in segments, each segment contains a partition table in sector 0 and one (just one) logical parti- tion. The first entry of a segment's partition table describes this logical partition: it's partition ID, base and size. The second entry is an extended partition that describes base and size of the next segment (partition table and logical partition). The last segment's partition table is empty, or contains one logical partition. SEE ALSO
fd(4), hd(4). BUGS
You can have a table read, messed up, and written in no time, be careful. You can't type head or sector numbers directly. Sectors are counted from 0 for consistency, but the partition table counts from 1 like DOS addresses them. Most confusing. You can't write a backup copy to a file, that's what dd(1) with count=1 is for. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) PART(8)