Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users make a foreground running process to run background without hang up Post 302230473 by vertigo23 on Friday 29th of August 2008 06:16:24 PM
Old 08-29-2008
nohup

You can run your command with `nohup' - this will cause it to ignore all input and send its stdout (and stderr?) to the file "nohup.out" in your cwd. After you've run your command, you can background it as normal (^Z bg) but it will continue to run after you sever the terminal connection.

Depending on your shell (bash for sure, others maybe) you can also use the "disown" command on a job to disconnect it from the controlling terminal.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a parent wait on a child shells running in background?

Hi I have a shell script A which calls another 10 shell scripts which run in background. How do i make the parent script wait for the child scripts complete, or in other words, i must be able to do a grep of parent script to find out if the child scripts are still running. My Code: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albertashish
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background and Foreground of a process within a script

I'm not sure if it is even possible but I figured if it was someone here would know how to do it... I am running a script which starts a bunch of processes in the background but there is one process I would like to bring back to the foreground when complete. Unfortunately the process that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctruhn
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what is the diff b/w background and foreground process

What are all the difference between a Background and Foreground processes ?! A Background process does not have access to STDIN and OUT.. What else ? Is there any detailed description available somewhere ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onequestion
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can put a background process to the foreground

Hi, guys: I am working on my own shell using c. When I put a process into the background, how can I put it back to the foreground using tcsetpgrp? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomlee
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run Background process one after another

Hii Friends, I am using Perl CGI. I am running A SCP Command via Perl CGI in Background. Like system("scp -r machinename:/PathOfFile/ /Path/WhereToCopyIt/ &) This Copy Process takes some times lets say 15 min. Now I want When This copy process gets complete then send me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
5 Replies

6. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Running process in the background

Hi, I have this simple c program that creates duplicate process with fork(): #include <sys/types.h> main() { if (fork() == 0) while(1); else while(1); } I tried running it in the background gcc -o test first.c test & And I got this list of running process: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uniran
4 Replies
nohup(1)						      General Commands Manual							  nohup(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
command [arguments] DESCRIPTION
executes command with hangups and quits ignored. If output is not redirected by the user, both standard output and standard error are sent to If is not writable in the current directory, output is redirected to otherwise, fails. If a file is created, the file's permission bits will be set to If output from is redirected to a terminal, or is not redirected at all, the output is sent to EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
It is frequently desirable to apply to pipelines or lists of commands. This can be done only by placing pipelines and command lists in a single file, called a shell script. To run the script using features apply to the entire contents of file. If the shell script file is to be executed often, the need to type can be eliminated by setting execute permission on file. The script can also be run in the background with interrupts ignored (see sh(1)): file typically contains normal keyboard command sequences that one would want to continue running in case the terminal disconnects, such as: WARNINGS
Be careful to place punctuation properly. For example, in the command form: applies only to command1. To correct the problem, use the command form: Be careful of where standard error is redirected. The following command may put error messages on tape, making it unreadable: whereas puts the error messages into file EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The command specified by command was found but could not be invoked An error occurred in the nohup utility or the specified command could not be found Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of the command specified. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), nice(1), sh(1), signal(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
nohup(1)