Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dd seek problem
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users dd seek problem Post 302230438 by silvermoon on Friday 29th of August 2008 12:35:25 PM
Old 08-29-2008
dd seek problem

I want to seek to a location on the hard drive that will be written to that is different from the output block size. Is this possible? It seems the man page implies you can only seek in increments of the number of bytes you output.

A bit of information about what I'm trying to do, if that helps. Maybe I need to use another unix command I don't know of:

I'm trying to do is to seek to a point on a hard drive and write to it in block sizes that will not page. So, if I seek to a point on the hard drive that is larger than my ram, that would be the default block size to write, then I believe I will get paging.

Last edited by silvermoon; 08-29-2008 at 01:42 PM..

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Seek UNIX script tutor and help

I am new to UNIX shell script programming. I have coded one korn shell script used on solaris 10 for Oracle database rman cold backup. The first part of script is working. But only following part is not working. Please help me to point out the problem and errors in my code. Thanks a lot. # the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
2 Replies

2. AIX

server seek internet

hello i'm working with aix 5.3 hacmp 5.4 P550 and P520 those two serevr every 10 seconds seek connection to the internet web. i check with sniffer software and i've got this details. the problem is that when i've problem with the internet those server get frizzzzzzz. on those servers running... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Seek help configuring Sendmail 8.14.4 Unix

Seek help configuring Sendmail 8.14.4 Unix server. Not sure if this is the correct place to post or the Unix/Linux Forums job board. Seeking help configuring sendmail 8.14.4 on my Unix server. It appears I have an open relay. I was advised I need to modify a etc/mail/dir , a command line entry... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raecampus
0 Replies
zcav(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   zcav(8)

NAME
zcav - program to test raw hard drive throughput. SYNOPSIS
zcav [-b block-size[:chunk-size]] [-c count] [-r [first-block]:last-block] [-w] [-s skip-rate] [-u uid-to-use:gid-to-use] [-g gid-to-use] [-l log-file] [-f] file-name [-l log-file [-f] file-name]... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the zcav, program. Modern hard drives have a constant rotational speed but have varying numbers of sectors per track (outside tracks are longer and have more sectors). This is referred to as Zoned Constant Angular Velocity (or ZCAV). The outer tracks will have a higher data transfer rate due to having more sectors per track, these tracks generally have the lower track/sector numbers. This program tests the ZCAV performance of a hard drive, by reading the entire data on it a specified number of times. The file name given as the first parameter, it can be specified as -, for standard input. This file will be opened as read-only and in usual operation it will be /dev/hdX or /dev/ide/host0/busX/targetY/lun0/disc depending on whether you use devfs or not (NB operating systems other than Linux will have different device names). The output should be able to be easily graphed with gnuplot which is what I use to view the results. OPTIONS
-b the size (in Meg) of the blocks to read/write (default 100M), optionally followed by a ':' and the chunk size for read/write opera- tions (default 1M). Note that the chunk size must be less than or equal to the block size and must also be significantly less than the size of the RAM in the machine. Also note that for the write test there will be a fsync() after writing every chunk. -c the number of times to read/write the entire disk. -r the range of data (in Meg) to read/write on each pass (default the entire device). Useful if you want to quickly test part of a large drive. If a single number is given then that is the last block to read, if two numbers then it's the start and end of a range. Values are in megs, but they are rounded down to the block size. -s skip rate. The option -s 10 will cause it to read every 10th block and skip the rest. -f the file-name for the input data. This isn't needed on well configured systems that have a recent Glibc where you can specify the file name without the -f flag. -u user-id to use. When running as root specify the UID to run the tests as, it is not recommended to use root, so if you want to run as root use -u root. Also if you want to specify the group to run as then use the user:group format. If you specify a user by name but no group then the primary group of that user will be chosen. If you specify a user by number and no group then the group will be nogroup. -g group-id to use. Same as using :group for the -u parameter, just a different way to specify it for compatibility with other pro- grams. -w write zero blocks to the disk instead of reading from the disk - will destroy data! AUTHOR
This program, it's manual page, and the Debian package were written by Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>. AVAILABILITY
The source is available from http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++ . See http://etbe.coker.com.au/category/benchmark for further information. zcav(8)