Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers extracting and using date from filenames in a loop Post 302230429 by badg3r on Friday 29th of August 2008 11:32:02 AM
Old 08-29-2008
In the couple of hours between submitting question for moderation and posting I have written the following

Code:
#Get list of unique dates for which we have files for
for dates in `ls *0* |grep -v $TODAY|grep -v $TODAYmin1|grep -v $TODAYmin2|grep -v $TODAYmin3| cat | tr "_" " " | awk '{print substr($3,1,8)}' | sort -u`
do
#Tar into daily archives
tar -cvf ${dates}.tar *${dates}*.dat
#Compress it
gzip ${dates}.tar

#Check the arc directory exists or make it
if [ -d $ARC_DIR ]
then
echo "This dirname [$ARC_DIR] exists"
else
echo "[$ARC_DIR] does not exist creating"
mkdir arc
fi 

#Move it into Arc directory
mv ${dates}.tar.gz arc/
#exit inner loop
done

#Now we must delete files outside of the retention period $3
#find arc/*.gz -mtime +{$RETENTION_PERIOD} -exec rm {} \;
find arc/*.gz -mtime +{$DAILY_RETENTION_PERIOD} -exec ls -rtl {} \;

cd ${BASE_DIR}
#loop

#exit outer loop
done

Which works fine, but thank you anyways.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing filenames in a directory to a number within a loop

hey guys. i'm new to shell scripting but not new to programming. i want to write a script that will take all the files in the current directory that end with a particular filetype and change all their names to a number in order. so, it would take all the jpg files and sort them in alphabetical... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: visitorQ
30 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Extracting date from file name and comparing with current date

I need to extract the date part from the file name (20080221 in this ex) and compare it with the current date and delete it, if it is a past date. $file = exp_ABCD4_T-2584780_upto_20080221.dmp.Z really appreciate any help. thanks mkneni (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKNENI
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop through numbered filenames

Hi I'm very new to this script thing, so please be gentle. I am trying to get a command - the mach2qtl command in the code below - to loop through a set of files. Each command should take the same two .dat and .ped files, but the .mlinfo and .mlprob files with filenames including 'chrom1' ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: polly_falconer
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whitespace in filenames in for loop in bash script

I'm trying to search all .odt files in a directory for a string in the text of the file. I've found a bash script that works, except that it can't handle whitespace in the filenames. #!/bin/bash if ; then echo "Usage: searchodt searchterm" exit 1 fi for file in $(ls *.odt); do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: triplemaya
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract date out of this filenames

I have filenames filenameA_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz filenameASPQ_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz filenameAFTOPHYYINGH_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz filenameAGHYSW_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz Is there a way I can extract the date out of these filenames? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting filenames

Hi I need to pull out the name of the file from the path. See, here is my loop that gets the files: dsxdir="/var/local/dsx/import" for dsxfile in $dsxdir/*.dsx; do dsxlog $reverb --info --module="$module" "$dsxfile" $dsximp $norule $oprange --dsn=$dsn --dbname=$dbname... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching by date range from filenames

Hello all, i have tons of files in folder named like this (yyyymmdd): bookcollection20100729 bookcollection20100730 bookcollection20100731 bookcollection20100801 bookcollection20100802 etc. I need to find files with date range in there names lets say from 2010.07.30 - 2010.08.02 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whit3H0rse
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate filenames in a loop

Hi all, I want to generate output files in a loop, run the same command on the same input file 1000 times and output in files with a new name each time, maybe a number appended to it. The output will be different each time as I`m sampling randomly from the input file. I want to do the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For/While Loop to Increment Filenames in a Script

Daily stupid question. I want to increment the file name everytime the script is run. So for example if the filename is manager.log and I run the script, I want the next sequence to be manager.log1. So to be clear I only want it to increment when the script is executed. So ./script... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending date to UNIX Filenames

Hello, I have a file name in the below format and have to append the date as _$currdate. kchik_UK_lo.txt_$currdate. The above should be the format and I dont want to put entire filename as above in the code, but it should give me the output as the above filename.Can anyone please help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: harika03
7 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2014-09-30 PTARGREP(1)