Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strange Messages
Operating Systems Solaris Strange Messages Post 302230264 by seg on Friday 29th of August 2008 12:58:54 AM
Old 08-29-2008
svcadm disable sendmail

or

add your FQDN to /etc/inet/hosts

ex: plood.domain.int

There's a way to disable this error in sendmail, but being security minded I quit using sendmail a long time ago and don't remember the option in sendmail.cf

PS: if you *read* the error messages instead of just acknowledging that there was an error that usually helps troubleshooting Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

strange

Hi All I am doing a locate <file_name> on my Redhat 7 System. I am unable to get the output. All the keep getting is: locate: this is not a vlaid slocate database: /var/lib/locate/slocate.db What des this mean? Is my system compromised? Thanks in advance. KS (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
13 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

There is something strange with my account.

Whenever I see I post, I keep on seeing "IP: Logged" on the lower left-hand corner of the post (I do not click the logged link). And when I preview a user, I get "Administrative Options" on the bottom of the page. It is just strange that all of a sudden, I get these uneeded features. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Danny_10
1 Replies

3. Linux

very strange problem

I have installed Fedora Core on a Toshiba Satellite Pro4600 laptop recently I have experienced a rather mysterious problem if I touch anything specially the keyboard or mouse I see this stuff “67yujhnmyyy” straight away some time it won't stop for while like this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kemobyte
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Something strange...

Hi all, Thanks for any replies and for reading in advance. We have upgraded one of our database instances to 10g on a Solaris 8 box, anyhow the other day it started trying to ping loads of weird IP addresses that we don't use, since our systems all run on pretty similar IP's. It all behind... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Strange Behaviour!!!

Can some-one give me a view to this : I have a directory in an unix server, having permissions r-xr-xr-x .This directory is basically a source directory. Now there is another directory basically the destination directory which has all the permissions. Note:I log in as not the owner,but user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange issue

I have created a server monitor program in Java that connects to servers via SSH and constantly refreshes the new server load every 3 mins. The problem is that even though it is a Java app running shell commands to get the load info, the commands still appear in 'history'. The question is.. is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AndrewSH
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Results

I am using th following to get the percentage and have never used bc before: percent=$(echo "scale=4;(34117/384000)*100" | bc) 8.884600 percent=$(echo "scale=2;(34117/384000)*100" | bc) 8.00 Why do I get the results of 8.00 instead of 8.88 when using a scale of 2. I only want 2 decimal... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariaa33
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

strange text come out

I try to install red hat linux and I connect the PC with serial port . I use hyper terminal as terminal. when the machine boot from DVD/CD , there is no text mode(simply graphic) screen come out.. just a strange/rubblish text come out ?? What is the problem ?? Pleae advice . I also find it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Error

I am receiving an error when i type the command dmesg sudo: sysmon : pam_authenticate: Conversation failure ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/export/home/sysmon ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/opt/scripts/cronmgmt/synch_crontab.ksh Whats it about and how can I remove it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange result

Hi, I have following codes which looks ok: $ string1="123456789 abc2" $ string2="abc" $ position_of_string2=`expr index "$string1" "$string2"` $ echo $position_of_string2 $ 11however, when string2="abc2", it gives me the following result: $ string1="123456789 abc2" $... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlewenwen
5 Replies
etrn(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  etrn(1M)

NAME
etrn - start mail queue run SYNOPSIS
etrn [-b] [-v] server-host [client-hosts] DESCRIPTION
SMTP's ETRN command allows an SMTP client and server to interact, giving the server an opportunity to start the processing of its queues for messages to go to a given host. This is meant to be used in start-up conditions, as well as for mail nodes that have transient connec- tions to their service providers. The etrn utility initiates an SMTP session with the host server-host and sends one or more ETRN commands as follows: If no client-hosts are specified, etrn looks up every host name for which sendmail(1M) accepts email and, for each name, sends an ETRN command with that name as the argument. If any client-hosts are specified, etrn uses each of these as arguments for successive ETRN commands. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b System boot special case. Make sure localhost is accepting SMTP connections before initiating the SMTP session with server- host. This option is useful because it prevents race conditions between sendmail(1M) accepting connections and server-host attempting to deliver queued mail. This check is performed automatically if no client-hosts are specified. -v The normal mode of operation for etrn is to do all of its work silently. The -v option makes it verbose, which causes etrn to display its conversations with the remote SMTP server. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
No environment variables are used. However, at system start-up, svc:/network/smtp:sendmail reads /etc/default/sendmail. In this file, if the variable ETRN_HOSTS is set, svc:/network/smtp:sendmail parses this variable and invokes etrn appropriately. ETRN_HOSTS should be of the form: "s1:c1.1,c1.2 s2:c2.1 s3:c3.1,c3.2,c3.3" That is, white-space separated groups of server:client where client can be one or more comma-separated names. The :client part is optional. server is the name of the server to prod; a mail queue run is requested for each client name. This is comparable to running: /usr/lib/sendmail -qR client on the host server. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using etrn Inserting the line: ETRN_HOSTS="s1.domain.com:clnt.domain.com s2.domain.com:clnt.domain.com" in /etc/default/sendmail results in svc:/network/smtp:sendmail invoking etrn such that ETRN commands are sent to both s1.domain.com and s2.domain.com, with both having clnt.domain.com as the ETRN argument. The line: ETRN_HOSTS="server.domain.com:client1.domain.com,client2.domain.com" results in two ETRN commands being sent to server.domain.com, one with the argument client1.domain.com, the other with the argument client2.domain.com. The line: ETRN_HOSTS="server1.domain.com server2.domain.com" results in set of a ETRN commands being sent to both server1.domain.com and server2.domain.com; each set contains one ETRN command for each host name for which sendmail(1M) accepts email, with that host name as the argument. FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf sendmail configuration file /etc/default/sendmail Variables used by svc:/network/smtp:sendmail ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sendmail(1M), attributes(5) RFC 1985 NOTES
Not all SMTP servers support ETRN. SunOS 5.10 10 Aug 2004 etrn(1M)