Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers user & group read/write access question Post 302230223 by Annihilannic on Thursday 28th of August 2008 09:30:34 PM
Old 08-28-2008
How about:

Code:
chgrp users /home/new/testing
chmod 0770 /home/new/testing

You should probably add a umask 007 entry to those users' .profiles so that any files they create in there will by default have group write access.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

read, write & STDOUT_FILENO....

hi guys, I'have a question 4 u. Why this code give me the right output (an integer on the stdout): read(fd,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); printf("%d\n",mpid); Instead this code give me only a blank line: read(fd,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); write(STDOUT_FILENO,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: M3xican
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i access (mount, read & write) a floppy disk from the console, not being root?

welll, the title quite explains what i want to do thanks for your time! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfaday
4 Replies

3. Programming

Problem with read & write

Hello mates: I met problem with using read() & write(). I m trying to use read twice on client first time is the size of buffer, 2nd time is the buffer. I think I have to, coz I dnot know file size. So, I write twice on server as well -- 1st, filesize; 2nd, buffer. The problem is, sometimes,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: EltonSky
11 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to restrict a user group to access the kernel

Hi, Please any one can help me to know that how we can restrict a user group to access the kernel at all. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishankar
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

group & user permission question

Folks; I'd like to create a group on my Linux box & add a few users to it. Is there a way to do so and restrict this group/users to have access to only one or directory trees? Let's say i need this group to only have a read write access to only these two directories /opt/Virtu & /fsn/comers ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

7. Solaris

file open/read/write/close/access by process

Hi want to know what file (descriptor+filename+socket) is being accessed by particular process on solaris. Purpose : while running perf. test, needs to find where is the bottleneck. We are providing concurrnet load for around 1 hr and needs to capture data related to file usage pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raxitsheth
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP read large string & split in multidimensional arrays & assign fieldnames & write into MYSQL

Hi, I hope the title does not scare people to look into this thread but it describes roughly what I'm trying to do. I need a solution in PHP. I'm a programming beginner, so it might be that the approach to solve this, might be easier to solve with an other approach of someone else, so if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a scripts to kill idle user for 60 min. & email user list to admin in text file

Folks, I have written one script for following condition by referring some of online post in this forum. Please correct it if I'm missing something in it. (OS: AIX 5.3) List the idle user. (I used whoidle command to list first 15 user and get username, idle time, pid and login time).... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit30
4 Replies

10. Solaris

samba read write access to owner and no access to other users

Hi All, I want to configure samba share permission so that only directory creator/owner has a read and write permission and other users should not have any read/write access to that folder.Will that be possible and how can this be achieved within samba configuration. Regards, Sahil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies
privatepw(1)						      General Commands Manual						      privatepw(1)

NAME
privatepw - Change WU-FTPD Group Access File Information SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
If a site supports the SITE GROUP and SITE GPASS commands, it is necessary to be able to add, delete and list enhanced access group infor- mation. The utility is used to update this information in the group access file This is meant as an administrative tool and not to be run by the general user population. This command requires read/write permission to the appropriate ftpgroups file. Options In the options defined below, accessgroup is an alphanumeric name specified to a group. Please see the section for details. Create a new file. Delete the specified accessgroup information from the ftpgroups file. Use the specified ftpgroups file for all updates. If this option is not specified by default it takes the file. Set the real system group (defined in to the accessgroup specified. This is valid only when adding a new accessgroup or changing the password of an exist- ing accessgroup. List the contents of the appropriate ftpgroups file. This option causes the program to display copyright and version information, then terminate. Background After user logs in, the SITE GROUP and SITE GPASS commands may be used to specify an enhanced access group and associated password. If the group name and password are valid, the user becomes (via a member of the group list in the group access file The format of the group access file is: where access_group_name is an arbitrary (alphanumeric + punctuation) string. encrypted_password is the password encrypted via crypt(3), exactly like in real_group_name is the name of a valid group listed in AUTHOR
was developed by the Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri. SEE ALSO
ftpgroups(4), ftpaccess(4). privatepw(1)