Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers user & group read/write access question Post 302230151 by wempy on Thursday 28th of August 2008 05:44:22 PM
Old 08-28-2008
if only root and the user funny are to have access to it, change the owner of the directory to be funny and restrict permissions to 0700.

i.e.:

chown -R funny: /home/new/testing
chmod -r 0700 /home/new/testing

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

read, write & STDOUT_FILENO....

hi guys, I'have a question 4 u. Why this code give me the right output (an integer on the stdout): read(fd,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); printf("%d\n",mpid); Instead this code give me only a blank line: read(fd,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); write(STDOUT_FILENO,&mpid,sizeof(pid_t)); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: M3xican
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i access (mount, read & write) a floppy disk from the console, not being root?

welll, the title quite explains what i want to do thanks for your time! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfaday
4 Replies

3. Programming

Problem with read & write

Hello mates: I met problem with using read() & write(). I m trying to use read twice on client first time is the size of buffer, 2nd time is the buffer. I think I have to, coz I dnot know file size. So, I write twice on server as well -- 1st, filesize; 2nd, buffer. The problem is, sometimes,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: EltonSky
11 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to restrict a user group to access the kernel

Hi, Please any one can help me to know that how we can restrict a user group to access the kernel at all. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishankar
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

group & user permission question

Folks; I'd like to create a group on my Linux box & add a few users to it. Is there a way to do so and restrict this group/users to have access to only one or directory trees? Let's say i need this group to only have a read write access to only these two directories /opt/Virtu & /fsn/comers ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

7. Solaris

file open/read/write/close/access by process

Hi want to know what file (descriptor+filename+socket) is being accessed by particular process on solaris. Purpose : while running perf. test, needs to find where is the bottleneck. We are providing concurrnet load for around 1 hr and needs to capture data related to file usage pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raxitsheth
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP read large string & split in multidimensional arrays & assign fieldnames & write into MYSQL

Hi, I hope the title does not scare people to look into this thread but it describes roughly what I'm trying to do. I need a solution in PHP. I'm a programming beginner, so it might be that the approach to solve this, might be easier to solve with an other approach of someone else, so if you... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a scripts to kill idle user for 60 min. & email user list to admin in text file

Folks, I have written one script for following condition by referring some of online post in this forum. Please correct it if I'm missing something in it. (OS: AIX 5.3) List the idle user. (I used whoidle command to list first 15 user and get username, idle time, pid and login time).... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit30
4 Replies

10. Solaris

samba read write access to owner and no access to other users

Hi All, I want to configure samba share permission so that only directory creator/owner has a read and write permission and other users should not have any read/write access to that folder.Will that be possible and how can this be achieved within samba configuration. Regards, Sahil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies
logindevperm(4) 						   File Formats 						   logindevperm(4)

NAME
logindevperm, fbtab - login-based device permissions SYNOPSIS
/etc/logindevperm DESCRIPTION
The /etc/logindevperm file contains information that is used by login(1) and ttymon(1M) to change the owner, group, and permissions of devices upon logging into or out of a console device. By default, this file contains lines for the keyboard, mouse, audio, and frame buffer devices. The owner of the devices listed in /etc/logindevperm is set to the owner of the console by login(1). The group of the devices is set to the owner's group specified in /etc/passwd. The permissions are set as specified in /etc/logindevperm. Fields are separated by TAB and/or SPACE characters. Blank lines and comments can appear anywhere in the file; comments start with a hash- mark, ` # ', and continue to the end of the line. The first field specifies the name of a console device (for example, /dev/console). The second field specifies the permissions to which the devices in the device_list field (third field) will be set. These permissions must be expressed in octal format. For example, O774. A device_list is a colon-separated list of device names. Note that a device name must be a /dev link. A device entry that is a directory name and ends with "/*" specifies all entries in the directory (except "." and ".."). For example, "/dev/fbs/*" specifies all frame buffer devices. Once the devices are owned by the user, their permissions and ownership can be changed using chmod(1) and chown(1), as with any other user- owned file. Upon logout the owner and group of these devices will be reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd (typically other). The permissions are set as specified in the /etc/logindevperm file. FILES
/etc/passwd File that contains user group information. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chown(1), login(1), ttymon(1M), passwd(4) NOTES
/etc/logindevperm provides a superset of the functionality provided by /etc/fbtab in SunOS 4.x releases. SunOS 5.10 22 Oct 2003 logindevperm(4)