Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users make a foreground running process to run background without hang up Post 302230076 by pharos467 on Thursday 28th of August 2008 02:44:52 PM
Old 08-28-2008
i'm working on a korn shell, but my script is running on bash mode, will it affect ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a parent wait on a child shells running in background?

Hi I have a shell script A which calls another 10 shell scripts which run in background. How do i make the parent script wait for the child scripts complete, or in other words, i must be able to do a grep of parent script to find out if the child scripts are still running. My Code: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albertashish
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background and Foreground of a process within a script

I'm not sure if it is even possible but I figured if it was someone here would know how to do it... I am running a script which starts a bunch of processes in the background but there is one process I would like to bring back to the foreground when complete. Unfortunately the process that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctruhn
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what is the diff b/w background and foreground process

What are all the difference between a Background and Foreground processes ?! A Background process does not have access to STDIN and OUT.. What else ? Is there any detailed description available somewhere ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onequestion
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can put a background process to the foreground

Hi, guys: I am working on my own shell using c. When I put a process into the background, how can I put it back to the foreground using tcsetpgrp? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomlee
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run Background process one after another

Hii Friends, I am using Perl CGI. I am running A SCP Command via Perl CGI in Background. Like system("scp -r machinename:/PathOfFile/ /Path/WhereToCopyIt/ &) This Copy Process takes some times lets say 15 min. Now I want When This copy process gets complete then send me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
5 Replies

6. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Running process in the background

Hi, I have this simple c program that creates duplicate process with fork(): #include <sys/types.h> main() { if (fork() == 0) while(1); else while(1); } I tried running it in the background gcc -o test first.c test & And I got this list of running process: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uniran
4 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD