Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Tips to speed up Redhat linux machine Post 302229932 by tj23 on Thursday 28th of August 2008 07:12:50 AM
Old 08-28-2008
Question

Hi,
My machine is too slow.My application(the one I'm testing) takes too much time to load.Its the same with other operations too.Like opening a browser(firefox) .etc.Everything operation takes more than the expected time,so I thought If i could stop any of those unwanted process running to boost my machine's performance..

Any suggestion..??

Thanks in advance..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

typs of machine for REDHAT OS

Hello all, I'm currently looking at getting new server machine for my work. Unfortunately I don't have the time to check out types and performance issue with server machine, therefore I would like to ask if anyone has suggestion for server machine to be running Redhat AS version and type of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: larryase
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

linux tips

Hi, I am working on a linux install to a desktop pc and will configure this onto our main server once happy with the functions etc. I am actually a HP and AIX sys admin and was looking for the best ways to: create a bootable file that can be copied to dvd-rw / cd-rw or to dds be able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH into a linux machine from a windows machine

I basically want to login into different linux machines( on the same network) from a windows machine. I know i can use ssh <machine name>. But i want to automate this process. I dont want to enter the username and password. Is there any way to do it. Can i make some sort of a batch script for it. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any tips/suggestions for a newbie beginning to read the Linux Kernel Source Code

Hi All, I recently downloaded the Linux kernel source code, added them all to a project in MS VC++ and plan to read through it so that I can improve the way I code, read/understand a large code database and hopefully contribute something to the development of the Linux OS. I have taken a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: clavian
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see network speed of virtual linux machine?

After installing PV (Para virtual drivers) drivers I m not able to check the network speed of my Ethernet port. Please check the output of mii-tool and ethtool. # mii-tool eth0 SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported # ethtool eth0 Settings for eth0: Link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP

I need a shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP. The files keeps changing day-to-day. I have to copy the latest file to the windows machine frm the linux machine. for example :In Linux, On July 20, the file name will be 20.txt and it should be copied to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin6034
3 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Tips for hiring a Linux Application developer

I am looking to hire a Linux Application developer for my startup. But am having trouble screening for the right skill-set. What should I look for ? And, where do I find these developers who have experience in building applications for Linux? Best, E (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emerging_desk
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Redhat Linux machine not coming up

We have a Redhat Enterprise Linux server which is not in production environment. Unfortunately it is not logging. How to trouble shoot it ?? How to know the exact problem ? :rolleyes: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
3 Replies
SETARCH(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SETARCH(8)

NAME
setarch - change reported architecture in new program environment and set personality flags SYNOPSIS
setarch arch [options] [program [arguments]] arch [options] [program [arguments]] DESCRIPTION
setarch This utility currently only affects the output of uname -m. For example, on an AMD64 system, running 'setarch i386 program' will cause 'program' to see i686 (or other relevant arch) instead of x86_64 as machine type. It also allows to set various personality options. The default program is /bin/sh. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Be verbose. -h, --help Display help (it is also displayed when setarch takes no arguments). -3, --3gb Specifies that processes should use a maximum of 3GB of address space on systems where it is supported (ADDR_LIMIT_3GB). -B, --32bit Turns on ADDR_LIMIT_32BIT. -F, --fdpic-funcptrs Userspace function pointers point to descriptors (turns on FDPIC_FUNCPTRS). -I, --short-inode Turns on SHORT_INODE. -L, --addr-compat-layout Changes the way virtual memory is allocated (turns on the ADDR_COMPAT_LAYOUT). -R, --addr-no-randomize Disables randomization of the virtual address space (turns on ADDR_NO_RANDOMIZE). -S, --whole-seconds Turns on WHOLE_SECONDS. -T, --sticky-timeouts Turns on STICKY_TIMEOUTS. -X --read-implies-exec Turns on READ_IMPLIES_EXEC. -Z, mmap-page-zero Turns on MMAP_PAGE_ZERO. EXAMPLES
setarch ppc32 rpmbuild --target=ppc --rebuild foo.src.rpm setarch ppc32 -v -vL3 rpmbuild --target=ppc --rebuild bar.src.rpm setarch ppc32 --32bit rpmbuild --target=ppc --rebuild foo.src.rpm AUTHOR
Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> Jindrich Novy <jnovy@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The setarch command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. setarch Jun 2007 SETARCH(8)