Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Concate 2 line into 1 line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Concate 2 line into 1 line Post 302229856 by vidyadhar85 on Thursday 28th of August 2008 05:17:54 AM
Old 08-28-2008
sed -e 'N;s/\n//g' filename

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how do you parse 1 line at a time of file1 ie. line(n) each line into new file

File 1 <html>ta da....unique file name I want to give file=>343...</html> <html>da ta 234 </html> <html>pa da 542 </html> and so on... File 2 343 234 542 and so on, each line in File 1 one also corresponds with each line in File 2 I have tried several grep, sed, while .. read, do,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: web_developer
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read the contents of two files line by line and compare the line by line?

Hi All, I'm trying to figure out which are the trusted-ips and which are not using a script file.. I have a file named 'ip-list.txt' which contains some ip addresses and another file named 'trusted-ip-list.txt' which also contains some ip addresses. I want to read a line from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commenting a specific line and inserting a new line after commented line.

Hello All, I have following file contents cat file #line=aaaaaa #line=bbbbbb #line=cccccc #line=dddddd line=eeeeee #comment=11111 #comment=22222 #comment=33333 #comment=44444 comment=55555 Testing script Good Luck! I would like to comment line line=eeeeee and insert a new line... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies
nlist_ia(3C)															      nlist_ia(3C)

NAME
nlist_ia: nlist(), nlist64() - get entries from name list on Integrity systems SYNOPSIS
Command: [flag]... [library]... Remarks The use of symbol table type and value information is inherently nonportable. The use of or should reduce the effort required to port a program that uses such information, but complete portability across all HP-UX implementations cannot be expected. This manpage describes and for Itanium-based systems. For and on PA-RISC systems, see nlist_pa(3C). DESCRIPTION
and have basically the same functionality and they can process SOM or ELF files. The structure is the same as and is used for source code compatibility. The or function examines the name list in the executable file whose name is pointed to by file_name, and selectively extracts a list of values and puts them in the array of structures pointed to by nl. The array of structures initially contains only the names of variables. Once the or function has been called, the variable names are augmented with symbol information. The list is terminated by a null name, which consists of a null string in the variable-name position of the structure. The name list of the file is searched for each variable name. If the name is found, the symbol's type, scope, and value in the file is inserted into the name list structure. If the file searched is an ELF file, the section index is also inserted. For SOM files, the subspace index is inserted. The symbol value is 64-bit. If the file searched is a SOM file, then the value field is zero padded. If the name is not found, the fields in the name list structure are set to 0. The structures and are defined in the include file See a.out(4) and nlist(4) for further description of the symbol table structure. The file must have the organization and symbol table described for an file in a.out(4). The information is extracted from the symbol table used by the linker, ld(1). On machines that have such a file, this subroutine is useful for examining the system name list kept in file In this way programs can obtain system addresses that are up to date. RETURN VALUE
All structure fields are set to 0 if the file cannot be found or if it is not a valid object file containing a linker symbol table. and return: An error occurred. Success. WARNINGS
The header file is automatically included by for compatibility. However, including is discouraged if the only information needed from is for use by or If is included, the line may need to follow it. SEE ALSO
ld(1), elf(3E), a.out(4), nlist(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
Integrity Systems Only nlist_ia(3C)