Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: diff based on fields
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers diff based on fields Post 302229789 by harish.madu on Thursday 28th of August 2008 02:58:20 AM
Old 08-28-2008
diff based on fields

Hi,

I want to perform diff on 2 files & print the lines which first field is different.

e.g.
file 1:
12,23,ask
23,12,bcd

file2:
12,14,bac
24,13,ecf

I want the output as:
23,12,bcd

means: lines from file 1 which are not there in file 2 & not having the same starting field.

Thanks in Advance,
Harish

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff with ignoring certain fields

Hi all, I would lke to compare two pipe delimited files but I already expect one field to be different and would like to disregard this field. So for the example below I would like to disregard field three and show line 1 as no difference but line 2 as a difference. Any ideas? File 1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxy2d1
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files based on values of fields.

Hi All, I have two files and data looks like this: File1 Contents #Field1,Field2 Dist_Center_file1.txt;21 Dist_Center_file3.txt;20 Dist_Center_file2.txt;20 File2 Contents (*** No Header ***) Dist_Center_file1.txt;23 Dist_Center_file2.txt;20 Dist_Center_file3.txt;20 I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to compare diff output by fields

Diff output as follows: < AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE 123 > PPP QQQ RRR SSS TTT 111 > VVV WWW XXX YYY ZZZ 333 > AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE 124 How can i use awk to compare the last field to determine if the counter has increased, and need to ensure that the first 4 fields must have the same... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine two files based on fields?

I have two files which are as follows: File 1: 1 abc 250 2 pqr 300 3 xyz 100 File 2: 1 abc 230 2 pqr 700 3 xyz 500 Now I need output File, File 3as: S.No Name Count1 Count2 1 abc 250 230 2 pqr 300 700 3 xyz 100 500 NOTE: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare 2 CSV fields from same diff output

Attached is a file called diff.txt It is the output from this command: diff -y --suppress-common-lines --width=5000 1.txt 2.txt > diff.txt I have also attached 1.txt and 2.txt for your convenience. Both 1.txt and 2.txt contain one very long CSV string. File 1.txt is a CSV dump of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

substitution of fields based on header from another file

I have two files File1 with position (chromosome:start) and individuals as header, where pos is something like 1:2000 and every individual has a value. I have many columns and rows, here an example (tab separated): pos ind1 ind2 ind3 indn... 1:2000 0 0.1 0.1 1 1:2500 0.99 0.2 0.1 0.2 2:1000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare three files based on two fields

Guys, I tried searching on the internet and I couldn't get the answer for this problem. I have 3 files. First 2 fields of all of them are of same type, say they come from various databases but first two fields in the 3 files means the same. I need to verify the entries that are not present... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparing and appending based on fields

I want to compare 2 files, locus_file.txt is a very large file and attr.txt is a small file. I want to match the first 2 columns of the first file to the second column of attr.txt and print the attributes together. locus_file.txt:large file LOC_Os02g47020, LOC_Os03g57840,0.88725114... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanchari
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join fields in a same file based on condition

I have an input file like this... All iI want to do is If the lines are identical except for the last field i want to merge them into single line input_file I feel something is nothing I feel something is everything apple mango banana apple mango grapes I want to get output like this:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj_k
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sort based on difference of fields and print all fields

Hi I have a file as below <field1> <field2> <field3> ... <field_num1> <field_num2> Trying to sort based on difference of <field_num1> and <field_num2> in desceding order and print all fields. I tried this and it doesn't sort on the difference field .. Appreciate your help. cat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newstart
9 Replies
sdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sdiff(1)

NAME
sdiff - Compares two files and displays the differences in a side-by-side format SYNOPSIS
sdiff [-l | -s] [-w number] [-o output_file] file1 file2 The sdiff command reads file1 and file2, uses diff to compare them, and writes the results to standard output in a side-by-side format. OPTIONS
Displays only the left side when lines are identical. Creates a third file, output_file, by a controlled interactive line-by-line merging of file1 and file2. The following subcommands govern the creation of this file: Adds the left side to output_file. Adds the right side to output_file. Stops displaying identical lines. Begins displaying identical lines. Enters ed with the left side, the right side, both sides, or an empty file, respectively. Each time you exit from ed, sdiff writes the resulting edited file to the end of output_file. If you fail to save the changes before exiting, sdiff writes the initial input to output_file. Exits the interactive session. Suppresses display of identical lines. Sets the width of the output line to number (130 characters by default). DESCRIPTION
The sdiff command displays each line of the two files with a series of spaces between them if the lines are identical, a < (left angle bracket) in the field of spaces if the line only exists in file1, a > (right angle bracket) if the line only exists in file2, and a | (ver- tical bar) for lines that are different. When you specify the -o option, sdiff produces a third file by merging file1 and file2 according to your instructions. Note that the sdiff command invokes the diff -b command to compare two input files. The -b option causes the diff command to ignore trail- ing spaces, tab characters, and consider other strings of spaces as equal. EXAMPLES
To print a comparison of two files, enter: sdiff chap1.bak chap1 This displays a side-by-side listing that compares each line of chap1.bak and chap1. To display only the lines that differ, enter: sdiff -s -w 80 chap1.bak chap1 This displays the differences at the tty. The -w 80 sets page width to 80 columns. The -s option tells sdiff not to display lines that are identical in both files. To selectively combine parts of two files, enter: sdiff -s -w 80 -o chap1.combo chap1.bak chap1 This combines chap1.bak and chap1 into a new file called chap1.combo. For each group of differing lines, sdiff asks you which group to keep or whether you want to edit them using ed. SEE ALSO
Commands: diff(1), ed(1) sdiff(1)