Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automatic login without X
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Automatic login without X Post 302229663 by raidzero on Wednesday 27th of August 2008 01:05:54 PM
Old 08-27-2008
I don't know too much (anything) about runlevels, except that runlevel 0 is halt and 6 is reboot... The machine will be slackware 12.1 with only the base x system installed. I assume runlevel 1 is single-user mode and that will not ask for a login?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

automatic login from windows by a telnet session

Help me please, I wanna know if it's possible to define in windows the option when somebody starts a telnetsession to a unix machine it automatically logs in with the username and password of this user. Or if there is a possibility to set the username and password to an Icon on the users... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herwin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automatic time out of user login

I have asked by our security team to implement an automatic time out for user logins after a specified time interval. I have never heard of this feature in Unix before. Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this for HP-UX 11i? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic login script

Hi, I'm a beginner in unix.As a part of my script i need to remote logon using ssh. my script run as being asked for password and logons only after the user enters the password correctly. But my script stops executing after that as I login to a different server(different shell if i'm right).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayanand
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automatic login

Hello all, I need a script that can run an sftp session into a remote server, and retreive a file. Does anyone know how to pass in the user/password details in a script? I seem to have forgotten (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Automatic login

Hi, Boss I have a question.... BackGround: i have a shell name xxxLineInput.x the useage is: xxxLineInput.x -Txxx -Uxxx -Pxxx when i use the command line..can run normal. Target: i want to set automatic login, the mean is when i login the as the specifical... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: surainbow
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic login

I need a script that will let me connect to my hpux server with just a click of the icon without type my username and password. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tree740
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatic login at startup

Hi, how can I set my linux server that it logs in the main user at startup? I would like to be able to make a restart remotely and be able to connect to the server again afterwards. The problem is that the server waits for a login and than connects to the network. So at the beginning at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: borobudur
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Automatic Login to Desktop

On Solaris 11 is it possible to bypass the userid/password requirement to automatically login to the desktop ? I'm the sole user and it is really not necessary to secure the system. I have searched this forum and have not found a relevant post. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stansaraczewski
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some automatic process to login in putty. install some patch

Hello, I was wondering, we have multiple servers where we login from Putty. Is there some way we get automatically loged in after giving server name and password(by saving it in some file or like that) Just a thought (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
2 Replies

10. Web Development

Scheduling automatic Internet explorer login

Hi , I am using windows XP and IE8 I have my credentials stored for a website in internet explorer. I want to implement below scenario. I have entered both username/password for a website and left IE explorer open and locked my computer I want the computer to login in that website... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
1 Replies
RUNLEVEL(8)							     runlevel							       RUNLEVEL(8)

NAME
runlevel - Print previous and current SysV runlevel SYNOPSIS
runlevel [options...] OVERVIEW
"Runlevels" are an obsolete way to start and stop groups of services used in SysV init. systemd provides a compatibility layer that maps runlevels to targets, and associated binaries like runlevel. Nevertheless, only one runlevel can be "active" at a given time, while systemd can activate multiple targets concurrently, so the mapping to runlevels is confusing and only approximate. Runlevels should not be used in new code, and are mostly useful as a shorthand way to refer the matching systemd targets in kernel boot parameters. Table 1. Mapping between runlevels and systemd targets +---------+-------------------+ |Runlevel | Target | +---------+-------------------+ |0 | poweroff.target | +---------+-------------------+ |1 | rescue.target | +---------+-------------------+ |2, 3, 4 | multi-user.target | +---------+-------------------+ |5 | graphical.target | +---------+-------------------+ |6 | reboot.target | +---------+-------------------+ DESCRIPTION
runlevel prints the previous and current SysV runlevel if they are known. The two runlevel characters are separated by a single space character. If a runlevel cannot be determined, N is printed instead. If neither can be determined, the word "unknown" is printed. Unless overridden in the environment, this will check the utmp database for recent runlevel changes. OPTIONS
The following option is understood: --help Print a short help text and exit. EXIT STATUS
If one or both runlevels could be determined, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. ENVIRONMENT
$RUNLEVEL If $RUNLEVEL is set, runlevel will print this value as current runlevel and ignore utmp. $PREVLEVEL If $PREVLEVEL is set, runlevel will print this value as previous runlevel and ignore utmp. FILES
/run/utmp The utmp database runlevel reads the previous and current runlevel from. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.target(5), systemctl(1) systemd 237 RUNLEVEL(8)