Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIM client mksysb restore
Operating Systems AIX NIM client mksysb restore Post 302229474 by johnf on Wednesday 27th of August 2008 04:45:18 AM
Old 08-27-2008
Bakunin is absolutely correct. Think of this as a new install on a system with no data on the disks whatsoever. The bootp will issue data on the NIC identified by the MAC address and will restore the MKSYSB. This is the way I usually setup new LPARS with a tried and tested standard image.

The only time I have experienced problems like those described is when the NFS link is perhaps not stable and the connection keeps dropping.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

NIM mksysb recovery

I have multiple LPARS on p650 with mix of AIX5.2 and AIX5.1 with different rml level My understanding is creating mksysb nim on NIM server is for new installation of LPARS Then; How do I do mksysb backup on existing lpars for recovery purpose or how do I do all mksysb to a NFS mounted Filesystem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melindaj
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIM - mksysb of remote server

Hi, I'm trying to use my NIM server to get a mksysb of an lpar on another machine on my network. I'm trying to define a resource through smitty and i've entered the resource name, Server of resource & location of resource, they are as follows Resource Name : gmt_fail_mksysb Server of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KeesH
1 Replies

3. AIX

mksysb restore - Wrong OS level for restore

Hi all, I am still working on my mksysb restore. My latest issue is during an alt_disk_install from tape I got the following error after all the data had been restored. 0505-143 alt_disk_install: Unable to match mksysb level 5.2.0 with any available boot images. Please correct this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

4. AIX

how to create a package from mksysb via nim ?

Hello, I need to install "bos.adt.libm 5.3.0.0" on a server (AIX5.3 power 5). How to install it from a nim mksysb of an another partition ? Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
3 Replies

5. AIX

Back up a client NIM from nim master

Hello everyone Im trying to backup a nim client from nim master but I got this message COMMAND STATUS Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. 0042-001 nim:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

6. AIX

AIX 5L nim mksysb command

Hi All, Please excuse the possibly naive question but I'm trying to clone/install a new AIX 5.3 LPAR on a p570 from a mksysb image file using nim. Has anyone done this before and if so, what would the exact command look like? Does it even remotely resemble something like nim -o... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: combustables
1 Replies

7. AIX

mksysb restoration using NIM

Hi, I just want to ask whether anyone has experience on restoring mksysb backup in NIM. We have taken the mksysb backup and the SPOT has been configured on NIM also. I just want to know the checkpoints before doing this. Is there any checkpoints we need to do? Do we need to unmirrorvg? This... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: depam
12 Replies

8. AIX

mksysb using NIM

I am implementing mksysb backups using NIM. I am using nimsh as client communication and mksysb backup are working fine, but this requires remote logon to be enabled for root. Any thoughts on how can I implement mksysb backups using NIM without enabling remote logon for "root" ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mk8570
1 Replies

9. AIX

NIM : remove nim client info from the client

Hi. I change my client's IP and hostname but I forgot to change anything on the master. How can I redefine or modify my client's resource from my master, or with using smit niminit from my client ? Tks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephnane
2 Replies

10. AIX

Problem in communication nim client with nim master

Hello, I have an AIX6.1 machine which is a nim client to my nim master which is also AIX6.1 machine. I had some problem to perform an installation on my client using smit nim . i removed /etc/niminfo file in order to do the initialization again but when i run the command niminit -a name=client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
0 Replies
o2image(8)							OCFS2 Manual Pages							o2image(8)

NAME
o2image - Copy or restore OCFS2 file system meta-data SYNOPSIS
o2image [-r] [-I] device image-file DESCRIPTION
o2image copies the OCFS2 file system meta-data from the device to the specified image-file. This image file contains the file system skeleton that includes the inodes, directory names and file names. It does not include any file data. This image file can be useful to debug certain problems that are not reproducible otherwise. Like on-disk corruptions. It could also be used to analyse the file system layout in an aging file system with an eye towards improving performance. As the image-file contains a copy of all the meta-data blocks, it can be a large file. By default, it is created in a packed format, in which all meta-data blocks are written back-to-back. With the -r option, the user could choose to have the file in the raw (or sparse) for- mat, in which the blocks are written to the same offset as they are on the device. debugfs.ocfs2 understands both formats. o2image also has the option, -I, to restore the meta-data from the image file onto the device. This option will rarely be useful to end- users and has been written specifically for developers and testers. OPTIONS
-r Copies the meta-data to the image-file in the raw format. Use this option only if the destination file system supports sparse files. If unsure, do not use this option and let the tool create the image-file in the packed format. -I Restores meta-data from the image-file onto the device. CAUTION: This option could corrupt the file system. EXAMPLES
[root@node1 ~]# o2image /dev/sda1 sda1.out Copies metadata blocks from /dev/sda1 device to sda1.out file [root@node1 ~] o2image -I /dev/sda1 sda1.out Use with CAUTION. Copies meta-data blocks from sda1.out onto the /dev/sda1 device. SEE ALSO
debugfs.ocfs2(8) fsck.ocfs2(8) AUTHORS
Oracle Corporation COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007, 2010 Oracle. All rights reserved. Version 1.4.3 February 2010 o2image(8)