Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers PID - Getting the processname of terminated/old Process Post 302229471 by JohnMurdoch on Wednesday 27th of August 2008 04:35:53 AM
Old 08-27-2008
thank you for information! I will look at sar

One last little question,
is there a general table for exit codes in linux or has every process its own exit codes?
(e.g. exit codes from /var/log/messages)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to supress a "Killed" message when a process is terminated?

Does anyone know how I can supress the "Killed" message that's produced when I kill a process? I've got a script that performs a "tail -f" on a database error log and pipes the output into an awk script which looks for certain error messages and forwards any that qualify to my pager. The problem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenwolff
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process PID

Hi Friends :p I have a little problem please help me out. I have a Unix based OS Sun Server having oracle 8i as database on it. The server has one client with windows OS. The client uses developer 2000 (GUI) to run query and run processes. I want to know how can I know the PID of a process run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
3 Replies

3. AIX

Process got terminated automatically

Hi, I am elango. I am working with UNIX AIX version 5. I am facing tow problem whenever I am trying to run a script. 1. The moment I run the script 3 more jobs are getting started automatically. I used PS -ef command to check the running Jobs, I found totally 4 jobs are running for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elango
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

start time of a terminated process

Hi, I have a shell script which i am running. I want it's starting time (the time when the execution of the shell script started) in another shell script. Note that the process has already terminated when i need it's starting time.... else i could have used ps -f | cut -d" " -f5... But that's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_chaaya
2 Replies

5. Solaris

getting pid of process

hi all, Is there a simple script anyone could through out to me, to find the pid of a process given the name. I actually need to bind this pid to a processor set. I would probably put these comamns in a shell script which would have. a) kick start the executable b) get the pid c) bind it to a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naanu
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get an PID of particular process

Hi I have written a shell script to find and kill the particular process. Here in shell script i have written the code like cnt = $(ps -ef | grep Shree) echo $cnt I am getting the output root 2326 2317 0 14:39:46 pts/1 0:28 Shree -f fdc.fbconf FDCapp.fbapp Here I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shreedhar Naik
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process getting terminated after sleep iterations

Hello All, I have a script which has a functionality to sleep for 300 seconds after it does some processing, so in the logs if i check after the 3 iteration of sleep it didn't write saying "sleeping for 300 seconds". I suspect putty would automatically terminate session as i cannot access it any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

9. AIX

How to get process name from PID?

HI, i used ps -ef | grep 3539052 | grep -v grep and i got a output like ths root 3539052 3407918 0 May 07 - 709:31 /usr/sbin/syslogd but what i need is instead of full path /usr/sbin/syslogd i want only the process name that is 'syslogd' here. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Redhat Virtualization EN error : InitLogger main process terminated with status 1

My server has /var/log/messages with 'init: initLogger main process (608798) terminated with status 1' errors. I researched about the error and also followed the steps from stackexchange : 157059/error-init-ttys0-dev-ttys0-main-process-1612-terminated-with-status-1]linux - ERROR: init: ttyS0... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
0 Replies
dpid.h(3)							     libdaemon								 dpid.h(3)

NAME
dpid.h - Contains an API for manipulating PID files. SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> Defines #define DAEMON_PID_FILE_KILL_WAIT_AVAILABLE 1 This variable is defined to 1 iff daemon_pid_file_kill_wait() is supported. Typedefs typedef const char *(* daemon_pid_file_proc_t )(void) Prototype of a function for generating the name of a PID file. Functions const char * daemon_pid_file_proc_default (void) A function for creating a pid file name from daemon_pid_file_ident. int daemon_pid_file_create (void) Creates PID pid file for the current process. int daemon_pid_file_remove (void) Removes the PID file of the current process. pid_t daemon_pid_file_is_running (void) Returns the PID file of a running daemon, if available. int daemon_pid_file_kill (int s) Kills a running daemon, if available. int daemon_pid_file_kill_wait (int s, int m) Similar to daemon_pid_file_kill() but waits until the process died. Variables const char * daemon_pid_file_ident Identification string for the PID file name, only used when daemon_pid_file_proc is set to daemon_pid_file_proc_default(). daemon_pid_file_proc_t daemon_pid_file_proc A function pointer which is used to generate the name of the PID file to manipulate. Detailed Description Contains an API for manipulating PID files. Definition in file dpid.h. Define Documentation #define DAEMON_PID_FILE_KILL_WAIT_AVAILABLE 1 This variable is defined to 1 iff daemon_pid_file_kill_wait() is supported. Since: 0.3 See also: daemon_pid_file_kill_wait() Definition at line 82 of file dpid.h. Typedef Documentation typedef const char*(* daemon_pid_file_proc_t)(void) Prototype of a function for generating the name of a PID file. Definition at line 37 of file dpid.h. Function Documentation int daemon_pid_file_create (void) Creates PID pid file for the current process. Returns: zero on success, nonzero on failure Examples: testd.c. pid_t daemon_pid_file_is_running (void) Returns the PID file of a running daemon, if available. Returns: The PID or negative on failure Examples: testd.c. int daemon_pid_file_kill (int s) Kills a running daemon, if available. Parameters: s The signal to send Returns: zero on success, nonzero on failure int daemon_pid_file_kill_wait (int s, int m) Similar to daemon_pid_file_kill() but waits until the process died. This functions is new in libdaemon 0.3. The macro DAEMON_PID_FILE_KILL_WAIT_AVAILABLE is defined iff libdaemon supports this function. Parameters: s The signal to send m Seconds to wait at maximum Returns: zero on success, nonzero on failure (timeout condition is considered a failure) Since: 0.3 See also: DAEMON_PID_FILE_KILL_WAIT_AVAILABLE Examples: testd.c. const char* daemon_pid_file_proc_default (void) A function for creating a pid file name from daemon_pid_file_ident. Returns: The PID file path int daemon_pid_file_remove (void) Removes the PID file of the current process. Returns: zero on success, nonzero on failure Examples: testd.c. Variable Documentation const char* daemon_pid_file_ident Identification string for the PID file name, only used when daemon_pid_file_proc is set to daemon_pid_file_proc_default(). Use daemon_ident_from_argv0() to generate an identification string from argv[0] Examples: testd.c. daemon_pid_file_proc_t daemon_pid_file_proc A function pointer which is used to generate the name of the PID file to manipulate. Points to daemon_pid_file_proc_default() by default. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for libdaemon from the source code. Version 0.14 17 Jan 2010 dpid.h(3)