Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Commands to copy a tar.gz file from a Remote Unix Server to Local Desktop. Post 302229297 by linuxbynight on Tuesday 26th of August 2008 05:13:06 PM
Old 08-26-2008
you can use ssh. If you are running on a windows client, you can download a free copy of ssh called putty and pscp from PuTTY Download Page. putty is the login client and pscp is the file copy.

Then, you can type:

pscp user_id@remote_systemSmilieath_to_file local_name

so for example, if I wanted to retrieve the /etc/profile from the remote system "gandalf" and my user id is joe1234, I can type:

pscp joe1234@gandalf:/etc/profile profile

you will be prompted for a password most likely unless the system is set up to use certificates.

putty is also a much better client than telnet both from a usability and security standpoint.

Hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Transfer file from local unix server to remote server

want to remove the thread thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer file from local unix server to remote server

want to remove this thread. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy file from local machine to server?

I am logged into a server via SSH. There is a file on my desktop of my Windows PC I would like to put on that server. How do I do it? SCP looks the likely method but how does the server know where the file is on the local machine? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserving the timestamp of a file when copied from remote server to local server using ftp

Hi, I need to copy few files from remote server to local server. I write a shell script to connect to the remote server using ftp and go to that path. Now i need to copy those files in the remote directory to my local server with the timestamp of all those files shouldnt be changed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote desktop for mac unix commands

So Ive been a bit confused dealing with ssh keys or something else, who knows maybe someone can help. I run a set of computers on a network which are all running mac os x lion. I have a lion server serving them all up. I run remote desktop to update them and do anything else "tech" support... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcahn93
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a file from local host to a list of remote hosts --- perl script

Hi friends, i need to prepare a script ( in perl) i have a file called "demo.exe" in my local unix host. i have a list of remote hosts in a file "hosts.txt" now i need to push "demo.exe" file to all the hosts in "hosts.txt" file. for this i need to prepare a script(in perl, but shell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva kumar
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a file in remote server from local server?

hi, can anyone tell me how can i store the names of a file that are in remote server to a file and then get the file that contains the name in local server? there is a remote server where 5 files are present , say a.txt b.txt c.txt d.txt e.txt i want to write a script in my local... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy files from remote server to local?

Hi experts, I 'm newbie to unix world, now I have task to copy the latest files from remote server to my local. I believe this must be very common request in this community. I want you do it one more time for me please. My requirement is something like this: I receive files in the below... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parpaa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy one file from a server to a local folder

Hi, Is there a way I can copy a file from a server to a local folder (i.e. My Documents)? can it be done by scp? I tried this but it just rename the file as the folder it has to be transferred at. scp -r name@some_server:/home/user/file.txt 'somehere\home\home_dir' Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Append the output of a script running in remote server to a file in local server?

Hi guys, So i am in server1 and i have to login to server 2, 3,4 and run some script there(logging script) and output its result. What i am doing is running the script in server2 and outputting it to a file in server 2 and then Scp'ing the file to server1. Similarly i am doing this for other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
5 Replies
psftp(1)							 PuTTY tool suite							  psftp(1)

NAME
psftp - interactive SFTP (secure file transfer protocol) client SYNOPSIS
psftp [options] [user@]host DESCRIPTION
psftp is an interactive text-based client for the SSH-based SFTP (secure file transfer) protocol. OPTIONS
The command-line options supported by psftp are: -V Show version information and exit. -pgpfp Display the fingerprints of the PuTTY PGP Master Keys and exit, to aid in verifying new files released by the PuTTY team. -b batchfile Use specified batchfile. -bc Output batchfile commands. -be Don't stop batchfile processing on errors. -v Show verbose messages. -load session Load settings from saved session. -P port Connect to port port. -l user Set remote username to user. -batch Disable interactive prompts. -pw password Set remote password to password. CAUTION: this will likely make the password visible to other users of the local machine (via com- mands such as `w'). -1 Force use of SSH protocol version 1. -2 Force use of SSH protocol version 2. -C Enable SSH compression. -i path Private key file for authentication. COMMANDS
For a list of commands available inside psftp, type help at the psftp> prompt. MORE INFORMATION
For more information on psftp it's probably best to go and look at the manual on the PuTTY web page: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ BUGS
This man page isn't terribly complete. See the above web link for better documentation. PuTTY tool suite 2004-03-24 psftp(1)