Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Get IP of FTP Host
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Get IP of FTP Host Post 302229093 by rahulrathod on Tuesday 26th of August 2008 07:28:45 AM
Old 08-26-2008
Get IP of FTP Host

All,

This may be very trivial, but I am unaware.

We normally do FTP to hosts with their hostname as follows.

$ ftp c.b.a.com

Now, How do I know the IP address of c.b.a.com?

Thanks,
Rahul.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

QNX host cannot ping SCO host, vice versa

The problem I am facing now is that the QNX host could not ping the SCO host and vice versa. They are in the same domain, ie, 172.20.3.xx. As I am very new to Unix, I guess I must have missed out some important steps. Pls help... Thanx alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavon
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do I ftp to an unknown host?

after ftp. ftp.umass.edu, I get "UNKNOWN HOST" There is no prompt for username. What do I do so that I can ftp files out? Or even email, to an unknown host. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AllyJones
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

FTP - Connection Closed By Remote Host

Hi, I am having a problem with our AIX 4.3.3 Server accessing FTP. The error is " Connection Closed By Remote Host". Scenario: Since i put a default gateway on the server FTP connection is having a problem but when i remove the default gateway it will works fine.. Is there any way not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mouglybean
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to delete the files from local host to remote host

Hi all, i am copying .gz files from production server to development server using "scp" command.my requirement is after copying .gz files i want to delete old .gz files(two days back) in development server from production server. like this way i need to delelte .log ,.z and .dmp files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna176
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands to remote host from centralized host

Gurus/Experts We have a centralized UNIX/Solaris server from where we can actually ssh to all other UNIX/Solaris servers...I need to write a script that reside on this centerlized server and do FileSystem monitoring (basically run df -h or -k) of other remote servers and then send an email to me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjum.suri
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! How to find the local host after few ssh hops to remote host???

I do a ssh to remote host(A1) from local host(L1). I then ssh to another remote(A2) from A1. When I do a who -m from A2, I see the "connected from" as "A1". => who -m userid pts/2 2010-03-27 08:47 (A1) I want to identify who is the local host who initiated the connection to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh to many hosts the ftp output to single host

Hi guys. i need some help, i need to create a script in tcsh that rsh into all my hosts that we have at our business, then cd to a directory (cd /apps/users) then grab a file from the users folder and ftp it back to my windows machine. can someone please help? Kind regards. Brian Behrens (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfer large number of files host to host

Hello.... I have two servers, one has an empty / and the other has a subdirectory with a large number (4 gig) with many, many files. I need a way to transfer the files en masse from the server with the large number of files to the one that is essentially blank. I don't have space on the used... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: blaine.miller
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a shell script on a remote host using ftp

Hi, is there a way I can run a shell script through ftp on a remote host? The remote host doesn't have ssh running so I can't use ssh. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP File to Multiple Host

I need to ftp a file to several servers. I have seen a lot examples on how to ftp several files from a host, none for what I need. I'm sorry if this has already been answered, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I'm very new to scripting. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slqtech
3 Replies
ftpconfig(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     ftpconfig(1M)

NAME
ftpconfig - set up anonymous FTP SYNOPSIS
ftpconfig [ftpdir] ftpconfig -d ftpdir DESCRIPTION
The ftpconfig script is executed by the super user to set up anonymous FTP. Anonymous FTP allows users to remotely log on to the FTP server by specifying the user name ftp or anonymous and the user's email address as password. The anonymous users are logged on to the FTP Server and given access to a restricted file area with its own file system root. See chroot(2). The FTP area has its own minimal system files. This command will copy and set up all the components needed to operate an anonymous FTP server, including creating the ftp user account, creating device nodes, copying /usr/lib files, and copying timezone data. The passwd and group files set up have been stripped down to prevent malicious users from finding login names on the server. The anonymous file area will be placed under ftpdir. If the ftp user account already exists, then the current FTP area is used, and the system files in it are updated. All other files are left untouched. This command should be run to update the anonymous FTP area's configuration whenever a system patch is installed, or the system is upgraded. OPTIONS
-d Create a new or update an existing ftpdir without creating or updating the ftp user account. Use this option when creating guest FTP user accounts. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: ftpdir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the anonymous FTP area is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), useradd(1M), chroot(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpconfig(1M)