Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris solaris native binary ...querry Post 302228982 by mobydick on Tuesday 26th of August 2008 02:21:33 AM
Old 08-26-2008
solaris native binary ...querry

In a solaris 8 machine the native binaries
are mainly kept under /bin and /usr/bin
but some binaries i found in /usr/xpg4/bin

please can anyone tell me in a little detail what is the reason to keep the binaries in different locations

i mean /bin /usr/bin /usr/xpg4/bin

---whats the significance of these binary paths while building external packages on solaris-8

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

read binary data on solaris 9

Hello there: First off, Thanks for clicking in. I have some integers stored as binary data. On redhat 9,I could read them just using the system calls open()and read(). And they show as what I expected. And on Solairs, I used the same sys calls. And the binary data were not interpreted as were by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanhu
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

querry on du

hi all, To summerize disk usage in human readable format we have "du -h" in linux,which gives the disk usage in MBs. do we have something similar in HP-UX ? thanks, amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gcc compiler ---querry

i am newbie my querry is if i am having a gcc compiler which has been a native build with a particular version of binutilities..then when i will use this compiler to build other packages ..then in the linking stage which linker it will use if i do not set my path. ...will it uses by default... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobydick
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

makefile ---querry

my querry is about writing makefiles:- i have gone through some sample make file and noticed that while writing the commands for a particular target.. some times two lines are written with a backslash like LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/openwin/lib"; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH; \... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobydick
3 Replies

5. Programming

Binary not getting executed from Java on Solaris environment

In the Java programme, I am calling function, "Runtime.getRuntime().exec( cmdarray ); " with the array of arguments in which first argument is the binary(C-executable) file and argv1,argv2 and so on. This will be executed on Sun OS system.. I can execute using "sh -c cmdarray" on the shell... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
0 Replies

6. Solaris

How to execute a binary file in solaris?

How to execute a binary file in solaris? I used ./setup.bin . I got the error ./setup.bin not found. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: agarwal
4 Replies

7. Solaris

EBCDIC to ASCII Binary conversion issue on Solaris i-series Unix

Hi All, I am facing EBCDIC to ASCII Binary conversion on Solaris i-series Unix system. However this is working fine on Solaris Sparc Unix system. Input file having EBCDIC format does not work on Solaris i-series Unix system. Could you please tell me, what will be the root cause for same? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: amodkavi
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check numerous ports / servers (Solaris native)

Hi I'd like to check that a bunch of firewall rules have been applied and, therefore, want to write a script that basically does the following: telnet serverA port1 telnet serverA port2 telnet serverB port1 telnet serverB port2 I would just compile the list in excel and run it as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jibberish
2 Replies

9. Proxy Server

Configure native ldap client on Solaris 10

Hi guys. First, sorry for my english, I´m tried to write the best form but sure I´m not do it. I´m tried to configure the native ldap client on Solaris 10 but yet dosen't work. May be the problem is in the pam.conf or something like that. This is the line I was applied to configure the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sultano
7 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)