Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem feeding netcat a list of hosts Post 302228926 by danmero on Monday 25th of August 2008 07:47:06 PM
Old 08-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanovision
#!/bin/bash
for i in `cat nc.host`
do
nc -v $i
done
If you read carefully man nc you will see the difference between -v and -z .Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remote hosts access problem on solaris

hey guys, i am on a box named pluto and i need to be able to log into another box named genesis. i need to be able to ssh into genesis as root and not get asked for the password. what file do i need to edit on genesis to make this happen? i searched for the .rhosts file it doesn't seem to exist.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Terrible
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change .bashrc on a list of hosts

Hi, My scripting skills are somewhat basic... I need a way to log into a list of hostname/IPs as a user, su to root and then create/append root's .bashrc Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jag7720
0 Replies

3. IP Networking

nc (netcat): Connection refused problem

From my machine (ubuntu), I can do $ nc somemachine 80 But, when I want to connect to other machine that runs nc on different ports, it throws "Connection refused" error. The same error occurs on my local machine. For example, nc -l 5555 nc x.x.x.x 5555 --> this throws "Connection... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinga
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script on a list of hosts

SERVICE NOTIFICATION: SOC;invoice-skysmart-01.net;monthly_process_check;CRITICAL;notify-by-email;CRITICAL: (0) instance(s) of (monthly-processor6) running on host (less than 1) SERVICE NOTIFICATION: SOC;invoice-02.skysmart.net;JAVA_PROCESS_CHECK;CRITICAL;notify-by-email;CRITICAL: (0) instance(s)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with feeding password while changing to root user

i want to change user to "root" from another user while running a script. how can i automatically feed the password? for example, i want to write a script say "script.sh"... it will first run the command "p" as mhmn user, and then it will change the user to "root" by using "su - root" command. at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mhmn
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a file from local host to a list of remote hosts --- perl script

Hi friends, i need to prepare a script ( in perl) i have a file called "demo.exe" in my local unix host. i have a list of remote hosts in a file "hosts.txt" now i need to push "demo.exe" file to all the hosts in "hosts.txt" file. for this i need to prepare a script(in perl, but shell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva kumar
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List processes that are running on other hosts

Hi: How to list processes from all hosts, as opposed to the one you are working at? "ps ux" appears to list processes of the user on a single host only. Thanks. N.B Phil (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil518
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

netstat command to be executed for list of hosts

Hi All, Need to run the netstat -i command on the list of hosts and check if "Ierrs" and "Oerrs" has value greaterthan 0. for Ex: below output, driver bge1 and bge3 has Oerrs and Ierrs value > 0, So, script should report saying "Netstat status for $host, driver bge1 has Oerrs = 20, Failed"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
5 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Maybe a security problem involving Linux hosts

Hello, with the following problem I feel helpless because I do not know where to look for the problem. Sorry in advance for my poor English. At some point the interaction with people on Freenode IRC has become mysterious and offending so that I checked my modem/router device. When I tried to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SInt
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)