Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash? Post 302228826 by estienne on Monday 25th of August 2008 02:09:07 PM
Old 08-25-2008
Thanks a lot. I was afraid of that. I should have tested it more before posting. Grrrrrrrrr... I don't like this behavior of bash!

Thx.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash & Ksh loop problem

hi i was trying to optimize one script and i came across this problem .. i am putting some pseudo code here $ >cat a.sh ls | while read I do i=$(($i + 1)) done echo "total no of files : " $ >ksh a.sh total no of files : $ >bash a.sh total no of files : why is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Emulate ksh's FPATH variable in bash

Over time i have developed a library of useful (ksh) functions which i use in most of my scripts. I use the ksh's FPATH variable to locate all these functions and use a standard environment-setting-function to always have the same environment in all my scripts. Here is how i begin scripts: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

(BASH) Using a loop variable to grep something in a file?

Hi, I have a loop running until a variable L that is read previously in the full script. I'd like to grep some information in an input file at a line that contains the value of the loop parameter $i. I've tried to use grep, but the problem is nothing is written in the FILE files. It seems grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMini
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with 3 variable bash loop

Hi all! I think someone might be able to solve my problem pretty easily. I am trying to run a bash loop with 3 variables. I know how to do: for var1 in `cat list1`; do for var2 in `cat list2`; do for var3 in `cat list3`; command var1 var2 > var3; done; done; done However, this will run all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
4 Replies

5. Programming

Global variable in for loop (BASH)

Hello, I'm trying to read the variable "pause" from a for loop without luck. The function is dependant on the outcome of the test within the loop. If i run this, pause is always 0 within the function. Any ideas? Thanks. pause=0 users=1 (for (( ; ; )) do speed=`cat speed.log` ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadyuk
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash for loop with arrays second variable?

I am fairly new to bash and am not sure how to resolve this: I have a series of geographical long/lat points eg. 50/-30 listed on separate lines in a file called junk2. I have input these into an array and am then using that array in a for loop. Towards the end of the loop I create a file called... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lily-anne
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable scop ksh vs bash

I am not clear why the cnt variable is not increased in the script below: #!/bin/bash INPF=${1:-a.txt}; KWDS=${2:-lst} cnt=0; grep -v '^#' $KWDS | while read kwd; do grep -q $kwd $INPF; if ; then echo Found; ((cnt=cnt+1)); fi... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable available for use outside loop

In the below for loop, I extract a variable $d which is an id that will change each time. The bash executes the problem that I am having is that p (after the done) is the path with the extracted $d. However, I can not use it in subsequent loops as it is not reconized. I have been trying to change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I assign the output of a command to a variable within a loop in bash?

In the else of the main if condition . else set lnk = $(readlink -f <path> | cut -d '/' -f7) echo "$lnk" if ] When I run the above on command line , the execution seems to be fine and I get the desired output. But when I try to assign it to a variable within a loop... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Variable scope - while loop while reading from a file

Cope sample1: test.sh i=0 echo " Outside loop i = $i " while do i=$(( $i + 1)) echo "Inside loop i = $i " done echo " Out of loop i is : $i " When run output : Outside loop i = 0 Inside loop i = 1 Inside loop i = 2 Inside loop i = 3 Inside loop i = 4 Inside loop i = 5 Inside... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adarshreddy01
8 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux