Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exception-handling in Shell programs Post 302228671 by blowtorch on Monday 25th of August 2008 07:44:20 AM
Old 08-25-2008
Will each of the scripts that you invoke be doing detailed error checking? If the last script executed runs a command that fails, it could print the error and return a failure code.

If you write each script to do that, your trace takes care of itself, without any additional effort required (other than what you need to put in for the scripts themselves).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

exception handling

Does exception handling exist in any UNIX enviornment? I develop on Windows MSVC++ land and need to port to UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RichardS
1 Replies

2. Programming

Linux g++ 2.95.3 exception handling

Anybody happen to be familiar with any deficiencies with g++ 2.95.3 regarding exception handling, specifically in multi-threaded / multi-module (shared library) based applications? I'm seeing behavior where thrown exceptions are not caught, but basically ignored causing the application to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: earl
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gen. Question - Script calls multiple programs - Return Code Handling?

General Question: If a script calls multiple external programs (external to the script, but still on unix), where do the return codes go? Let's say one of external programs fails, does the entire script fail and send a non-zero return code to the job scheduling software, or is the return code sent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnanasakti
1 Replies

4. Linux

Handling "command not found" exception

hello friends, I am given a project to handle the command not found exception.I am using RED HAT 9. Generally, when we press a wrong command in the terminal: example :- " $cet " in place of " $cat ". Then we get this exception. But I need to give the output as the combinations that are possible... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exception Handling

Hi, I have written a script to load csv files into a mysql database, however, i would like for the shell script to exit in the event of an error (missing file, load error etc.) - currently if an error is encountered the next statement is processed - This is how i am loading the csv scripts ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bertpereira
5 Replies

6. Programming

Advanced Exception Handling in C++

Hi Friend, Could you please provide me with some tutorial for Advanced Exception handling in C++, mainly set_terminate() and set_unexpected() functions? Please find the details below: OS: Unix Compiler: gcc. Thanks. :) Awesome001 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: awesome001
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exception handling

Sometimes when I try to use curl to upload to an ftp server, I get the message: $curl -T file.wmv ftp.eu.filesonic.com --user user:password curl: (8) Got a 421 ftp-server response when 220 was expected How do I get the script to try again if I get the message curl: (8)? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

8. Programming

Exception Handling C++

Hello All, I have a question ....which I am totally confused about! If I have a fxn foo in a program which returns a logical value. But it has a posssiblity to throw some exception. Now my exception handler returns a value as a string stating why the exception occured. But my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mind@work
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between inbuilt suid programs and user defined root suid programs under bash shell?

Hey guys, Suppose i run passwd via bash shell. It is a suid program, which temporarily runs as root(owner) and modifies the user entries. However, when i write a C file and give 4755 permission and root ownership to the 'a.out' file , it doesn't run as root in bash shell. I verified this by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)