Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Usage of $ as variable name
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Usage of $ as variable name Post 302228595 by shreekrishnagd on Monday 25th of August 2008 05:59:59 AM
Old 08-25-2008
passing to Datastage

actually that is being passed into datastage job as environment varible

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

usage of same variable in multiple scripts

Hi, I have a .test file which has: #!/bin/ksh export TEST_FLAG=1 In the test1.ksh i have: #!/bin/ksh . .test echo $TEST_FLAG When i execute the test1.ksh its showing the value as 1. But if i refer the same variable in another script, the value is not 1. Basically, I need to have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: risshanth
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

3. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confused with the usage of one variable usage

Hi All I am not able to understand the usage of d# in the below variable declaration. FILE_LOC contains the directory path And also help me to know about what will be saved in the variable j. Thanks!!! j=${d#${FILE_LOC}/} (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed usage with Variable

Gurus, I am trying to display a match (single character) from beginning of the line in a file using a variable. I tried using sed ... not sure where am doing it wrong... sed -n "/^\$variable/p" FileName.shor sed -n "/^\${variable}/p" FileName.shBoth of the above are not working.....Thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable usage issue

Hi, I need a help in setting scope of the variable. I want to use the below logic right before the "break" statement if ; then echo $header echo $trailer fi But due the scope of the variable it is causing issues. I tried using "export" statement. But it changes the output completely ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prem148
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable usage

Hi , I am using a simple loop:- for PID in `ps -auxww| grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` do echo "Found : $PID : Killing..." kill -9 ${PID} done. I want to know what will be the difference for killing the PID by using :- ${PID} , $PID, `$PID` and '$PID'. I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj999
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of shell variable in perl command

Hi, I have a shell script, In which i have variable "var1" and some perl command inside shell script. export var1='coep -n rst-a2p-hinje.vci.all.com -c' perl -pi -e 's/^/coep -n rst-a2p-hinje.vci.all.com -c /' command.txt currently I am adding value of var1 in command.txt file by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of # in assignment of variable

guys, i would like to know what does the below does. tr=`echo $bfile | cut -d"." -f4` tr=${tr#TR} i tried with assigning a value and executed second line. but after that also value of tr remains same. thanks in advance .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: expert
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of a variable in awk BEGIN

Hi, diffcount=`awk 'BEGIN { while ( getline < "/scripts/matt/text.server1.reference" ) { arr++ } } { if (!( $0 in arr ) ) { print } }' $TMPDIR/$(basename $0 .sh) | wc -l` if ]; then OK="OK - No change in the interfaces status" elif ]; then DIFF=`awk 'BEGIN {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies
variable(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       variable(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
variable - create and initialize a namespace variable SYNOPSIS
variable ?name value...? name ?value? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is normally used within a namespace eval command to create one or more variables within a namespace. Each variable name is initialized with value. The value for the last variable is optional. If a variable name does not exist, it is created. In this case, if value is specified, it is assigned to the newly created variable. If no value is specified, the new variable is left undefined. If the variable already exists, it is set to value if value is specified or left unchanged if no value is given. Normally, name is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces), and the variable is created in the current namespace. If name includes any namespace qualifiers, the variable is created in the specified names- pace. If the variable is not defined, it will be visible to the namespace which command, but not to the info exists command. If the variable command is executed inside a Tcl procedure, it creates local variables linked to the corresponding namespace variables (and therefore these variables are listed by info locals.) In this way the variable command resembles the global command, although the global command only links to variables in the global namespace. If any values are given, they are used to modify the values of the associated namespace variables. If a namespace variable does not exist, it is created and optionally initialized. A name argument cannot reference an element within an array. Instead, name should reference the entire array, and the initialization value should be left off. After the variable has been declared, elements within the array can be set using ordinary set or array commands. SEE ALSO
global(n), namespace(n), upvar(n) KEYWORDS
global, namespace, procedure, variable Tcl 8.0 variable(n)