Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting subtitute specific column in line Post 302228591 by redoubtable on Monday 25th of August 2008 05:51:58 AM
Old 08-25-2008
echo "aaaa,aaa,aa,aaaa,aaaa aa"|sed -e 's/a/c/g' | awk -F "," '{printf "%s;%s%s;%s;%s,%s\n", $1,$2,$3,$4,substr($5,0,4),substr($5,6,2)}'

I hope you can understand the code. Like I said with the code I already had gave you it was possible to change any field with appropriate tweaking.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieve line from a file based on a value in specific column

Hi, I have a file that has several values seperated by ":" 2006:John:Student:Football:Portugal:Cinema 2006:James:Engineer:Basket:Poland:Theatre 2007:Lucy:Diver:Gymnastic:England:Music 2007:Smith:Plumber:Basket:Spain:Poker I need make a filter based on the 5th field to find countries that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: efernandes
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the value from a specific line and column in to a csh variable

Hi All, Although its a basic question the last 2 hours of googling and trying didnt help me to achieve what i want. Maybe some one can help me I have a text file text1.txt: blablablabla A B C D E F and i would like to read to read what is on position E (line 3 column 2) in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Radamez
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing string in a column on a specific line

hi, i currently have a file with columns similar to this customer name owed CID123 John 300 CID342 harry 500 at present i use use awk to find the amount owed by the customer using the customer ID (CID). if the customer spends more money how would i go about using sed/awk etc to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtitute value of certain raw and column with sed

Dear All, For example the content of data.txt file is: 1 1 23 2 1 42 3 2 52 4 2 62 5 1 77 6 1 88 7 2 99 8 1 100 Could I substitute 2 in second column with 1 using sed commad so that the data will be change as follow ? 1 1 23 2 1 42 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ariesto
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the value from a specific line and column BASH

Hi All, I have the same problem as the one posted in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/96097-how-read-value-specific-line-column-csh-variable.html but I'm using bash. Can anyone tell me how I have to modify the code to make it bash compatible? eval `awk 'NR==3{print "set... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting rows line by line from a specific column using Awk

Dear UNIX community, I would like to to count characters from a specific row and have them displayed line-by-line. I have a file called testAwk2.csv which contain the following data: rabbit penguin goat giraffe emu ostrich I would like to count in the middle row individually... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read particular line in file from specific column?

Hi...friends.... I want to create inventory...information for that I need to read some specific row say 2nd row from 1st 3 column and and write data with particular file used, I have some more column also but I need only 3 column data of first entry after header I attached sample file..those... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with print out line that have different record in specific column

Input file 1: - 7367 8198 - 8225 9383 + 9570 10353 Input file 2: - 2917 3667 - 3851 4250 + 4517 6302 + 6302 6740 + 6768 7524 + 7648 8170 + 8272 8896 + 8908 9915 - 10010 ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split certain strings in a line for a specific column.

Hi, i need help to extract certain strings/words from lines with different length. I have 3 columns separated by tab delimiter. like below Probable arabinan endo-1,5-alpha-L-arabinosidase A (EC 3.2.1.99) (Endo-1,5-alpha-L-arabinanase A) (ABN A) abnA Ady3G14620 Probable arabinan... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite specific column in xml file with the specific column from adjacent line

I have an xml file dumped from rrd file, that I want to "patch" so the xml file doesn't contain any blank hole in the resulting graph of the rrd file. Here is the file. <!-- 2015-10-12 14:00:00 WIB / 1444633200 --> <row><v> 4.0419731265e+07 </v><v> 4.5045912770e+06... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
2 Replies
bytes(3perl)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      bytes(3perl)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 bytes(3perl)