Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: netcat
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting netcat Post 302227332 by MartyIX on Thursday 21st of August 2008 04:16:21 AM
Old 08-21-2008
Data

@era: Thank you. Are these examples on the internet? I'm unable to find them on the machine I use (it's a school one)

Last edited by MartyIX; 08-21-2008 at 08:04 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

netcat like file transfer

Hi Folks I am not a c programmer .But i need help in writing a program which can do this any ideas on how to go about it . i start a server on the target server where files need to be copied start-server -port 5006 & ---start the server and listen it on a partcular port on the source... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxdba
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Netcat with Authentication?

I'd like to do a data transfer without encryption but with a guarantee that my data comes from a legit source. I'm thinking something that uses a public key scheme to sign the data. Does anyone know of something like that? Thanks! -Pileofrogs (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pileofrogs
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

netcat prints blank pages

Please direct me to the right forum tree if i am in the wrong section for this. i have netcat on a unix machine and there is no man nc or man netcat available. my command i am using is: cat $FILE1 | netcat -h $PRINTER -p 9100 (-h -p -d are the only flags available in this version of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunpealslyr
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Please help me to install netcat on solaris

hello guys, i want to install netcat on my solaris. after i tar and gunzip netcat i'm confuse what do i must to do ? please help me to install netcat on my solaris. I'm beginner :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praset
2 Replies

5. Linux

Thank you radoulov for your help on netcat command (nc -lp)

Hello, Thank you very much for the line nc -lp <port> . I tried to run simple chat session with nc as it's shown in catonmatDOTorg but failed miserably with that syntax inspite of opening port 7777 by iptables . But your command example is working nicely. So a bagful of thanks :)) Only one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Post using nc(netcat)

Hi; I have a url like http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/dates/nextPageToPost.jsp?name=ajay&password=pas&sex=Male&check=on&nationality=USA&description=aa&submit=submit in which i want to use nc for http post for parameters like "name","password"....etc can neone please help me how to do that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

nc (netcat): Connection refused problem

From my machine (ubuntu), I can do $ nc somemachine 80 But, when I want to connect to other machine that runs nc on different ports, it throws "Connection refused" error. The same error occurs on my local machine. For example, nc -l 5555 nc x.x.x.x 5555 --> this throws "Connection... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinga
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

Help with Netcat

Hi all, I know my question is regarding Windows and not Linux, but I simply need people who know Netcat pretty well and I'm guessing here is a good place for that. So on with my question. I'm doing some research, and I was playing around with netcat on a WinXP VM but I can't seem to get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrCrumbs
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Telnet vs netcat behavior

Currently I run a number of network tests using netcat that checks for an open port on a remote IP-address, using this syntax: netcat -v -w 5 -z 107.249.95.5 4488 For some reason, the netcat command above is hanging (although others work fine), but a telnet is showing a valid connection like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
4 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Netcat ( nc -l ) as webserver

Dear Linux guru's I am trying to create a webserver using nc (netcat only) on RHEL 7.2 running on bash shell. now the easy thing is to get nc listing to a port and respond back $ while true; do { echo -e 'HTTP/1.0 200 OK\r\n'; set; } | nc -l 7877; done This when called from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrapani
3 Replies
MACHINE-INFO(5)                                                    machine-info                                                    MACHINE-INFO(5)

NAME
machine-info - Local machine information file SYNOPSIS
/etc/machine-info DESCRIPTION
The /etc/machine-info file contains machine metadata. The basic file format of machine-info is a newline-separated list of environment-like shell-compatible variable assignments. It is possible to source the configuration from shell scripts, however, beyond mere variable assignments no shell features are supported, allowing applications to read the file without implementing a shell compatible execution engine. /etc/machine-info contains metadata about the machine that is set by the user or administrator. Depending on the operating system other configuration files might be checked for machine information as well, however only as fallback. You may use hostnamectl(1) to change the settings of this file from the command line. OPTIONS
The following machine metadata parameters may be set using /etc/machine-info: PRETTY_HOSTNAME= A pretty human-readable UTF-8 machine identifier string. This should contain a name like "Lennart's Laptop" which is useful to present to the user and does not suffer by the syntax limitations of internet domain names. If possible, the internet hostname as configured in /etc/hostname should be kept similar to this one. Example: if this value is "Lennart's Computer" an Internet hostname of "lennarts-computer" might be a good choice. If this parameter is not set, an application should fall back to the Internet host name for presentation purposes. ICON_NAME= An icon identifying this machine according to the XDG Icon Naming Specification[1]. If this parameter is not set, an application should fall back to "computer" or a similar icon name. CHASSIS= The chassis type. Currently, the following chassis types are defined: "desktop", "laptop", "convertible", "server", "tablet", "handset", "watch", and "embedded", as well as the special chassis types "vm" and "container" for virtualized systems that lack an immediate physical chassis. Note that many systems allow detection of the chassis type automatically (based on firmware information or suchlike). This setting (if set) shall take precedence over automatically detected information and is useful to override misdetected configuration or to manually configure the chassis type where automatic detection is not available. DEPLOYMENT= Describes the system deployment environment. One of the following is suggested: "development", "integration", "staging", "production". LOCATION= Describes the system location if applicable and known. Takes a human-friendly, free-form string. This may be as generic as "Berlin, Germany" or as specific as "Left Rack, 2nd Shelf". EXAMPLE
PRETTY_HOSTNAME="Lennart's Tablet" ICON_NAME=computer-tablet CHASSIS=tablet DEPLOYMENT=production SEE ALSO
systemd(1), os-release(5), hostname(5), machine-id(5), hostnamectl(1), systemd-hostnamed.service(8) NOTES
1. XDG Icon Naming Specification http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html systemd 237 MACHINE-INFO(5)