Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: script to monitor directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to monitor directory Post 302227183 by ddreggors on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 06:53:24 PM
Old 08-20-2008
better yet create a script that runs "one" time to look for (ls) files and use lsof to add logic for files currently being written to, next add a function for what you want to do with files NOT being written to.

Place that script in a users (root?) cron that runs every minute.

example of logic using lsof:

for F in `ls`
do
VAL=`lsof /full/path/to/$F`
if [ -z $VAL ]
then
your_function_here $F
fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hep with script to monitor directory

Hello, I am a newbie who is attempting to write a script to monitor a directory for a set of 3 files that I am expecting to get ftp'd. Occasionally, we suspend operations for maintenance etc. but we still get the files so there can be more than 1 set. If there is more than 1 set, I would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmf00186
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor files in a directory and sending the alert

Hi All, We are having important config files in an directory which was accessable by all /auto/config/Testbed/>ls config1.intial config2.intial config3.inital often we find that some of the lines are missing in config files, we doubt if some one is removing. I would like to write... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor capacity of directory

Good morning. I have been attempting to find a way to monitor the capacity of a directory so that when it reaches 80% or higher I can send an event. I was able to find a script that does this for the whole drive by I can not seem to figure out how to do this for just a single directory. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
1 Replies

4. AIX

monitor directory events

I'm am looking for a cheap way to trigger a script when a new file is written in a specific directory. AIX 5.3. It is a production system, so no kernel patching (i.e. inotify). Filemon and audtiing are too expensive. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbillast
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Monitor directory and email

Hello all, Can anyone please guide / help me in the following task.... I have a directory where some external users will upload pdf files. The filename of these pdf will be of a particular format (<id>-<first name>_<last name>_<some number>.pdf) I want to make a script such that it takes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhawalkv
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory Monitor in KSh

Hi, I need to write a directory monitor, i.e. a korn shell script which would Report changes to the directory contents, like: added file1, deleted file2, updated file3 , created subdir (optional)... There is no specific file pattern. So far I have written a little script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olegkon
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor directory size of specific users

Hi, i am new to shell scripts, i need to write a script that can monitor size of directory of specific users. Please help. Thanks, Nitin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicksrulz
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to monitor new file in a directory and mail the file content

Hi I am looking for a help in designing a bash script on linux which can do below:- 1) Look in a specific directory for any new files 2) Mail the content of the new file Appreciate any help Regards Neha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neha0785
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to monitor size in directory

i'm trying to find the most efficient way to monitor specific files in different directories in one go. /var/log/ /var/app/ /var/db/ each one of these directories can have subdirectories which need to be looked into as well. I want to find any file in this directory that has the name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script monitor directory and subdirectories for new pdfs

I need bash script that monitor folders for new pdf files and create xml file for rss feed with newest files on the list. I have some script, but it reports errors. #!/bin/bash SYSDIR="/var/www/html/Intranet" HTTPLINK="http://TYPE.IP.ADDRESS.HERE/pdfs" FEEDTITLE="Najnoviji dokumenti na... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: markus1981
20 Replies
CRONTABS(4)						      Crontabs users' Manual						       CRONTABS(4)

NAME
crontabs - configuration and scripts for running periodical jobs SYNOPSIS
run-parts [--list|--test]<directory> DESCRIPTION
Crontabs is a historical name for the run-parts script and the system crontab. The run-parts script runs all executables in the specified directory. Run-parts runs all executables in the specified directory. The execution of files can be allowed or denied by creating file jobs.allow or jobs.deny which worked similar as other allow/deny config files. The file must be created in the specified directory. --list print names of all files (not limited to executables), but don't run them. This option can't be used with test option. --test print names of files, which would be run. Randomization of jobs can be configured in the /etc/sysconfig/run-parts file. To enable randomization of jobs, set the RANDOMIZE parameter to 1 and set the RANDOM parameter to an integer which determines a random seed. Additionally, you may configure the RAN- DOMTIME parameter (again, by specifying an integer) to provide an additional level of randomization. Jobs are not randomized when the RANDOM and RANDOMTIME parameters are set to 0. Values in these two parameters must be set to 1 or larger to provide a good enough randomization. Randomization of cron jobs can be useful for shared networks, where multiple cron jobs executed at once can cause spikes in traffic, especially during daily jobs. With randomized jobs, the workload is evenly distributed throughout the day. EXAMPLE OF CONFIGURATION FILE
RANDOMIZE=1 RANDOM=4 RANDOMTIME=8 Historically the crontab file contained configuration which called run-parts on files in cron.{daily,weekly,monthly} directories. These jobs are now run indirectly through anacron to prevent conflicts between cron and anacron. That means the anacron package has to be installed if the jobs in these directories should be running. Refer to the anacron(8) how to limit the time of day of the job execution. EXAMPLE
/etc/cron.daily/jobs.deny could contain for example 0logwatch which forbid execution of this script. SEE ALSO
anacron(8), crontab(5) Marcela Malaova 2012-08-29 CRONTABS(4)