Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String as both start and end anchors in awk Post 302227075 by picassolsus on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 02:39:29 PM
Old 08-20-2008
Rubin,

Thanks for the direction. Here are a few lines (field 7 only) of the accesslog I'm working with:

/ (count lines like this one)
/index.html (count lines like this one)
/
/
/portals/index.html (don't want lines like this one counted)
/family_medicine/index.html
/
/
/portals/pda/ (don't want lines like this one counted)
/portals/surgery/
/portals/pediatrics/

Where each line that contains "/" and "/index.html" are the only lines I'm interested in. Note: I'm only interested in the root level index.html not the cases like "/portals/index.html".

Using your code, I'm not finding any matches. When trying just one of the conditions, such as:
Code:
awk '$7 ~ /^\/index.html/ {print $7}' access_log-20080213 |sort |uniq -c

it works fine-- I'm showing a count of 5 hits on "/index.html". However, when I try your example of combining the two conditions, that's where I'm not getting any results at all. If I try ONLY your added condition (awk '$7 ~ /\/$/ {print $7}' ....), I get results including lines such as "/portals/pediatrics/" which I don't want.

The AND/OR logic is a touch confusing for me here because I definitely want the count incremented for BOTH conditions, but by using AND it's not going to take it that I mean that field 7 must contain BOTH "/" and "/index.html" per line will it? Obviously OR may not apply here because I don't want it choosing between the two conditions-- I want them both counted.

I hope this clarified and didn't complicate! thanks again.

Derek

Last edited by picassolsus; 08-20-2008 at 03:50 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Remove comma at the end of the string

Hi i had String like UID: ABC345QWE678GFK345SA90, LENGTH 32 when I used awk ' FS, {print $1}' prints ABC345QWE678GFK345SA90, how can i getrid of that coma at the end of the string. Thanks in advance.. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string, variable to file at the start and string at end

Hi , I have below file with 13 columns. I need 2-13 columns seperated by comma and I want to append each row with a string "INSERT INTO xxx" in the begining as 1st column and then a variable "$node" and then $2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9,$10,$11,$12,$13 and at the end another string " ; COMMIT;" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a string from its end to its start and stop when you find a specific character

How can I do this? Actually I have a file which contains a path e.g. /home/john/Music/hello.mp3 and I want to take only the filename (hello.mp3) So, I need to read the file from its end to its start till the character "/" Is this possible? Thanks, I am sure you'll not disappoint me here! Oh,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to count start and end keyword in a line

Hello fellow awkers and seders: need to figure out a way to ensure a software deployment has completed by checking its trace file in which I can store the deployment results as follows: echo $testvar ===== Summary - Deploy Result - Start ===== ===== Summary - Deploy Result - End =====... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ux4me
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find between lines start and end: awk with bash variables

I have a file as follows: 0 1056 85540 414329 774485 1208487 1657519 2102753 2561259 3037737 3458144 3993019 4417959 4809964 5261890 5798778 6254146 I want to find all lines between a specified start and end tag. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use awk to print strings with anchors?

I have a list of countries and I'm trying to print the country names that start with "A" and end in "a". I can do the first one which gives me the correct output. awk '/^A/ {print $1}' countries.txt but when I try: awk '/^A a$/ {print $1}' countries.txt or even: awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a String between start and end of a block in a file

Hi, I have a scenario where I want to display the output based on the pattern search between the start and end of a block in a file, we can have multiple start and end blocks in a file. Example give below, we need to search between the start block abc and end block def in a file, after that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do delete certain lines alone which are matching with start and end string values in file?

Hi, In my previous post ( How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines? ), i have got a help to get the last select statement from a file, now i need to remove/exclude the output from main file: Input File format: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)