Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming char constants vs. hard-coding Post 302227074 by shamrock on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 02:34:47 PM
Old 08-20-2008
The statement below is better only due to its generality.
Code:
ptr = strrchr (str, at_sign);

Later on if you wanted to set the at_sign variable to '~' then the change has to made only at one place...saving you a lot of typing; but in the first form all instances of '@' need to be replaced by '~' in all the source files.
Code:
ptr = strrchr (str, '@');

Other than that there is nothing to say that one approach is better or more efficient than the other.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

constants in C/C++

Hi all My question is related to following sample code which tries to change consant value by pointers.(I know it is wrong practice but i am surprised by mis-behaviour) The code: #include <stdio.h> int main() { const int x = 10; int *y; const int * const z = &x; y = (int *)&x;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shobhit
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: eval and constants

is it possible to use eval to create constants in perl? i cannot seem to get anything to work, and my searches are turning up little to nothing. an example of what i am trying to do is this: 2 arrays: array 1: 'FOOD','NUMBER','OS' array 2: 'pizza','two','unix' loop through the arrays and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: effigy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

I wanted to update a script, more dynamic (just say no to hard coding)...

currently it has the following: bdumpN=`ll /home/apps/oracle/admin/DBprod/bdump/DBprod_j* | grep "$Cdate" | wc -l` If I pass the DBname, I would not have to hardcode it in the script... I can capture the database name by adding the following: DBname=$1 The problem is, I have been unable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mails to various users without hard coding the email IDS

Hi Can any one help me out ? I am trying to send an autogenerated mail with an attachment to bulk of users using 'MAILX' and 'UNENCODE' . I have used it as follows X " ( cat /sastemp/body.txt; uuencode Test.xls.gz Test.xls.gz ) | mailx -s 'Testing' ' abcd@yahoo.com , efgh@gmail.com ' " ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operation with real variables and constants

Hello there, I'd like to define a variable b equal to 0.5/a where a=0.001, so I wrote something like that: a=0.001; let 'b=0.5/$a'; but it doesn't work... maybe because the variable a has a real value??? Any help will be appreciated!!!:D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
1 Replies

6. Programming

Adding a single char to a char pointer.

Hello, I'm trying to write a method which will return the extension of a file given the file's name, e.g. test.txt should return txt. I'm using C so am limited to char pointers and arrays. Here is the code as I have it: char* getext(char *file) { char *extension; int i, j;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallak7
5 Replies

7. Programming

error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

Compiling xpp (The X Printing Panel) on SL6 (RHEL6 essentially): xpp.cxx: In constructor ‘printFiles::printFiles(int, char**, int&)’: xpp.cxx:200: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ The same error with all c++ constructors - gcc 4.4.4. If anyone can throw any light on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
8 Replies

8. Web Development

Using LWP without hard coding password

Hi, I would like to read content from a https site. I have decided to use LWP module in perl. but it throwed 401 Authorization required error. i dont want to hard code the password in my perl code. Is there any way to achieve the authentication without hardcoding the password. Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)