Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: move file by year/mouth
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting move file by year/mouth Post 302227068 by sudhamacs on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 02:07:19 PM
Old 08-20-2008
for file in `ls -1 *.*`
do
dir="`stat -c "%y|%n" $file | cut -c1-4`/`stat -c "%y|%n" $file | cut -c6-7`"
echo $dir
if [ ! -d $dir ]
then
mkdir -p $dir
fi
cp $file $dir
done

Last edited by sudhamacs; 08-20-2008 at 03:34 PM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i get the year of the file

When i use, 'ls -ltr' I only see the month and day (timestamp) of the file. How do i see the year also. Thanks and Regards, Ram (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move files based on year

I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003. I want to move only the 2003 files to another directory. Please help in doing this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IHK
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files based on year of creation

Hi All, I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003 till now. I want to move only the 2003 files to another directory. Please help. Thanks (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move files based on year

Hi All, I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003. I want to move ony the 2003 files to another directory. Please help (9 Replies)
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

move all 2008 year's file to destination directory

I am trying to move file created/modified in 2008 year to <new directory>. But trapped badly in Xargs {}. Looks like mv is not getting destination file properly. It assumes source file s to be destination directory n gives me erroir. "Target must be a directory" Run- #/home/mktrisk: find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar.mehta
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File created year

Hi I need to get the File creation date (MM,DD,YYYY) using ls -ltr am getting only Month and Day only, I need year also when the file is modified. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Move files of a certain year to other directory

Hi all, I have a massive amount of recording files in .WAV format stored in a directory, files dating back to 2006. It is a huge amount of files as Linux cannot even do a listing of it all, it states: "argument list too long" What I would like to do is the following: Find all the files of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: codenjanod
6 Replies
mvdir(1M)																 mvdir(1M)

NAME
mvdir - move a directory SYNOPSIS
dir newdir DESCRIPTION
moves one directory tree into another existing directory (within the same file system), or renames a directory without moving it. dir must be an existing directory. If newdir does not exist but the directory that would contain it does, dir is moved and/or renamed to newdir. Otherwise, newdir must be an existing directory not already containing an entry with the same name as the last pathname component of dir. In this case, dir is moved and becomes a subdirectory of newdir. The last pathname component of dir is used as the name for the moved directory. refuses to move dir if the path specified by newdir would be a descendent directory of the path specified by dir. Such cases are not allowed because cyclic sub-trees would be created as in the case, for example, of which is prohibited. does not allow directory to be moved. Only users who have appropriate privileges can use EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
cp(1), mkdir(1), mv(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
mvdir(1M)