Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: move file by year/mouth
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting move file by year/mouth Post 302227068 by sudhamacs on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 02:07:19 PM
Old 08-20-2008
for file in `ls -1 *.*`
do
dir="`stat -c "%y|%n" $file | cut -c1-4`/`stat -c "%y|%n" $file | cut -c6-7`"
echo $dir
if [ ! -d $dir ]
then
mkdir -p $dir
fi
cp $file $dir
done

Last edited by sudhamacs; 08-20-2008 at 03:34 PM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i get the year of the file

When i use, 'ls -ltr' I only see the month and day (timestamp) of the file. How do i see the year also. Thanks and Regards, Ram (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move files based on year

I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003. I want to move only the 2003 files to another directory. Please help in doing this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IHK
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files based on year of creation

Hi All, I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003 till now. I want to move only the 2003 files to another directory. Please help. Thanks (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move files based on year

Hi All, I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003. I want to move ony the 2003 files to another directory. Please help (9 Replies)
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

move all 2008 year's file to destination directory

I am trying to move file created/modified in 2008 year to <new directory>. But trapped badly in Xargs {}. Looks like mv is not getting destination file properly. It assumes source file s to be destination directory n gives me erroir. "Target must be a directory" Run- #/home/mktrisk: find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar.mehta
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File created year

Hi I need to get the File creation date (MM,DD,YYYY) using ls -ltr am getting only Month and Day only, I need year also when the file is modified. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Move files of a certain year to other directory

Hi all, I have a massive amount of recording files in .WAV format stored in a directory, files dating back to 2006. It is a huge amount of files as Linux cannot even do a listing of it all, it states: "argument list too long" What I would like to do is the following: Find all the files of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: codenjanod
6 Replies
curs_move(3)						     Library Functions Manual						      curs_move(3)

NAME
curs_move, move, wmove - Move the Curses window cursor SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int move( int y, int x ); int wmove( WINDOW *win, int y, int x ); LIBRARY
Curses Library (libcurses) STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: move, wmove: XCURSES4.2 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. DESCRIPTION
These routines move the cursor associated with the Curses window to line y and column x. They do not move the physical cursor of the ter- minal until refresh is called. The specified position is relative to (0,0), which is the upper left-hand corner of the window. NOTES
The header file <curses.h> automatically includes the header file <stdio.h>. Note that move may be a macro. RETURN VALUES
These routines return the integer ERR upon failure and OK upon successful completion. SEE ALSO
Functions: curses(3), curs_refresh(3) Others: standards(5) curs_move(3)