Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users xargs documentation or tutorial? Post 302227023 by ynilesh on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 11:43:30 AM
Old 08-20-2008
xargs documentation or tutorial?

Can anybody please forward me a good xargs documentation or tutorial?

- $nilesh

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

afterstep tutorial?

can someone point me out to a good newbie tutorial for afterstep? i've stumbled upon one on the afterstep site, but that tutorial is somewhta lacking. i need to know what configuration files are needed and where they are to be put, etc. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tk tutorial

Anyone know any good website with a step by step instructions on writing Perl GUI scripts with Tk ??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
3 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Tutorial forum?

I got this account a while ago and didn't have much time to try it out. After having had some frustration by posting tutorials regarding various Linux activites of mine in my Slashdot journals, it occurred to me that this forum might be better suited. I know I can probably post in the OS specific... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deckard
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

RouterSim tutorial.

Hi everyone... Well, this is a kina of help tutorial question. I'm using actually the “RouterSim Network Visualizer” an environment where you can practice and create your own LAN, I will be honest, I'm new to creating and managing networks, but not to new about IP´s. So, the question, anyone... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TARFU
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AUTOSYS Tutorial

Can any one help me out in finding the AutoSys tutorial? I just know it is one of scheduling tool (like cron job). (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravikirankethe
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help, looking for UNIX tutorial

Hello, I only have this afternoon to take a UNIX tutorial for my contract job, and I've posted two threads already for the forum, asking if someone could help me find the Gary Hook AIX tutorial. Neither has been published yet. Could you please help me? Thank you. :confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
0 Replies

7. AIX

AIX useful tutorial...

hi guys, I want to learn AIX, I am a beginner for this operating system of IBM. Can anyone give me some useful tutorial for a beginner like me?... Thanks... + GOD bless + ^_^ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TechReader
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Need LAMP tutorial!

Hello Everybody, Does anybody know or recommend me a tutorial for LAMP server on Solaris 10 x86? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
3 Replies

9. Web Development

Vue JS 2 Tutorial by The Net Ninja: A Recommended Vue.js Video Tutorial Series

A number of people have asked me how to get started with Vue.js and my reply before today was to Google "Vue.js". That has changed and my recommendation to anyone who wants to learn the fastest growing, easiest to learn and use Vue.js web dev framework is to watch this video tutorial series: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
XARGS(1L)																 XARGS(1L)

NAME
xargs - build and execute command lines from standard input SYNOPSIS
xargs [-0prtx] [-e[eof-str]] [-i[replace-str]] [-l[max-lines]] [-n max-args] [-s max-chars] [-P max-procs] [--null] [--eof[=eof-str]] [--replace[=replace-str]] [--max-lines[=max-lines]] [--interactive] [--max-chars=max-chars] [--verbose] [--exit] [--max-procs=max-procs] [--max-args=max-args] [--no-run-if-empty] [--version] [--help] [command [initial-arguments]] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of xargs. xargs reads arguments from the standard input, delimited by blanks (which can be pro- tected with double or single quotes or a backslash) or newlines, and executes the command (default is /bin/echo) one or more times with any initial-arguments followed by arguments read from standard input. Blank lines on the standard input are ignored. xargs exits with the following status: 0 if it succeeds 123 if any invocation of the command exited with status 1-125 124 if the command exited with status 255 125 if the command is killed by a signal 126 if the command cannot be run 127 if the command is not found 1 if some other error occurred. OPTIONS --null, -0 Input filenames are terminated by a null character instead of by whitespace, and the quotes and backslash are not special (every character is taken literally). Disables the end of file string, which is treated like any other argument. Useful when arguments might contain white space, quote marks, or backslashes. The GNU find -print0 option produces input suitable for this mode. --eof[=eof-str], -e[eof-str] Set the end of file string to eof-str. If the end of file string occurs as a line of input, the rest of the input is ignored. If eof-str is omitted, there is no end of file string. If this option is not given, the end of file string defaults to "_". --help Print a summary of the options to xargs and exit. --replace[=replace-str], -i[replace-str] Replace occurences of replace-str in the initial arguments with names read from standard input. Also, unquoted blanks do not termi- nate arguments. If replace-str is omitted, it defaults to "{}" (like for `find -exec'). Implies -x and -l 1. --max-lines[=max-lines], -l[max-lines] Use at most max-lines nonblank input lines per command line; max-lines defaults to 1 if omitted. Trailing blanks cause an input line to be logically continued on the next input line. Implies -x. --max-args=max-args, -n max-args Use at most max-args arguments per command line. Fewer than max-args arguments will be used if the size (see the -s option) is exceeded, unless the -x option is given, in which case xargs will exit. --interactive, -p Prompt the user about whether to run each command line and read a line from the terminal. Only run the command line if the response starts with `y' or `Y'. Implies -t. --no-run-if-empty, -r If the standard input does not contain any nonblanks, do not run the command. Normally, the command is run once even if there is no input. --max-chars=max-chars, -s max-chars Use at most max-chars characters per command line, including the command and initial arguments and the terminating nulls at the ends of the argument strings. The default is as large as possible, up to 20k characters. --verbose, -t Print the command line on the standard error output before executing it. --version Print the version number of xargs and exit. --exit, -x Exit if the size (see the -s option) is exceeded. --max-procs=max-procs, -P max-procs Run up to max-procs processes at a time; the default is 1. If max-procs is 0, xargs will run as many processes as possible at a time. Use the -n option with -P; otherwise chances are that only one exec will be done. SEE ALSO
find(1L), locate(1L), locatedb(5L), updatedb(1) Finding Files (on-line in Info, or printed) XARGS(1L)