Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell / awk arrays
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell / awk arrays Post 302227022 by lochraven on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 11:43:02 AM
Old 08-20-2008
I'm familiar with using the '-v' flag to set variables.

But I was wondering if it was possible to keep the same array structure in awk as it is in the shell.

I take it awk can not source that data file to utilize the array variables?

Maybe Im not wording this the best way Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Two or more arrays in Awk

Hi All, I have been working on awk and arrays. I have this small script: cat maillog*|awk -F: '$2=="SMTP-Accept" && $5~/string/ {lastdate=substr($1,1,8); internaluser=$5; v++} END {for (j in v) {print lastdate, v, j}'| sort>> mail.list This gives me the number of mails users are getting. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help with awk and arrays

now its owkring - thanks fo rthe help all . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusionX
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrays in awk

Hi, I've written the following code to manipulate the first 40 lines of a data file into my desired order: #!/bin/awk -f { if (NR<=(4)){ a=a$0" "} else { if ((NR >= (5)) && (NR <= (13))) { b=b$0" " } else {if ((NR >= (14)) && (NR <= (25))){ c=c$0" "} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwoman
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing shell arrays in awk

I am trying to pass a shell array I created to match on values amongst other things. I have a sample: #! /bin/ksh i=0 for id in `cat id.lst` do IDs=$id (( i=i+1 )) done cat sqloutput.txt | awk -F, -v ids=$ID '{ # Do stuff }' But it looks as if I cannot do this.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zombywoof
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk arrays can do this better - but how?

Hi, I have spent the afternoon trawling Google, Unix.com and Unix in a Nutshell for information on how awk arrays work, and I'm not really getting too far. I ahve a batch of code that I am pretty sure can be better managed using awk, but I'm not sure how to use awk arrays to do what I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littleIdiot
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help to know the various possible uses of awk arrays

Hi to all, I write this time to ask for different syntax or ways of arrays within awk and uses. Since I don't know how actually could work and the real potencial of awk arrays, I look for a proactive reply/help in order to get more information than it seems I'm trying to get. I think I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in awk arrays!

Hi, buddies I am new to shell scripting and trying to solve a problem. I read about arrays in awk that they are quite powerful and are associative in nature. Awk Gurus Please help! I have a file: Id1 pp1 0t4 pp8 xy2 Id43 009y black Id6 red xy2 Id12 new pp1 black I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: geli21
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays with awk

I'm a little stuck and would be grateful of some advice! I have three files, two of which contain reference data that I want to add to a line of output in the third file. I can't seem to get awk to print array contents as I would expect. The input files are: # Input file AAA,OAA,0313... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maccas17
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Arrays

So I'm back once again beating my head off a wall trying to figure out how to get this to work. My end goal is to take input such as what's below, which will be capture in real time with a tail -f from a file or piped output from another command: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShadowBlade72
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrays in awk

Array A contains lines of numbers from files. Array B contains number of fields for each line of each file. I want to run on array A. To do that I need to know the number of fields for each file in array A (because each line doesn't have the same NF). The NF is in array B, problem is: I don't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarist684
6 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)