Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rsync - exclude statement not working Post 302227009 by em23 on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 11:27:27 AM
Old 08-20-2008
rsync - exclude statement not working

hey all, i'm trying to rsync some dir's and files between servers and i've added an exclude statement, but it still goes out and tries to rsync the directory.

I've tried the following:
--exclude="/export/home/zones/lab"

as well as:
--exclude=/export/home/zones/lab

and also:
--exclude/export/home/zones/lab

neither seems to work.

Thoughts?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rsync not working :(

Hi all, I installed Rsync on my Solaris 8 but when I ran it, it returns ld.so.1: ./rsync: fatal: libpopt.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory Killed Please help. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating and using a /.rsync/exclude

Hello all, Everyone has been awesome assisting with my rsync script... Now I want to clean it up. I think the best way for me to exclude many files might be to use a rsync exclude file. So in my script I add So now then, here is my .rsync/exclude... So what is happening is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: komputersman
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync exclude option

Hi Frdz, i am using rsync to transfer files from source to destination. but i have one criteria like i have to tranfer only links from source to destination. in home/test/po folder i have kiran/test1 -> /home/test/lo/fg kiran/test2 -> /home/test/lo/fg2 like links are available.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

4. AIX

exclude files not working

HI, I have upgraded nim master and client to TL8,SP6. Now when the mksysb backup ran from master,it is not excluding directories specified in /etc/exclude.rootvg in the client.Instead,mksysb is getting created for all the file systems in the rootvg. This problem only appeared after the TL... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: to_bsr
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

rsync not working

I have tried rsync command as shown below, (if directory doesn't not exist on destination, i needs to create directories and sub directories through rsync at the destination server.) Note: Here /thaks/new/28/ directories doesn't exists on destination, How to create this on destination via rsync... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thakshina
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

working with tar exclude command

i have issue with tar, let me explain when i run below command it works perfectly as usual. tar -cvf /tmp/temp.tar --exclude="exclusion expression" dir my requirement is --exclude="exclusion expression" will come from another variable. so when i execute below command: tar -cvf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayyadavmca
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little help with rsync --exclude

Loving the rsync command and beginning to write some scripts with it. However I'm hung up on the --exclude function. Script is tested and works great BEFORE I put the --omit in. What am I doing wrong in my syntax? rsync $OPTS /cis/cloverleaf/cis6.0/integrator/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: B_ROX
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exclude txt file in rsync

Hi Folks, I'm using rsync on Solaris 10 to backup a web server and need to exclude the cache and tmp directories. The man pages and google on rsync --exclude are ambiguous but I have tried--exclude=".*" and --exclude/remote_server/absolute_path with success only on the tmp files. Rather than make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmokeyJoe
2 Replies

9. Solaris

TAR exclude is not working !

I have solaris 10 and my following exclude is not working: tar -cvf /export/home/backups/$audit-Data-$useday.bkup.tar /Data --exclude=/Data/ssg/output a /Data/ssg/output/ 0K a /Data/ssg/output/ssg-ported508.txt 107142K a /Data/ssg/output/ssg-ported747.txt 1801K a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync exclude & include?

hi I have a few folders and a few files , for example Directory A B C D E Files 1 2 3 4 5 I want B directory and "2" File that does not sync But other directories and file sync What is the solution ? Is there a way to sync time is under one minute? os centos 6.8 thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnnn
5 Replies
qmail-pw2u(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     qmail-pw2u(8)

NAME
qmail-pw2u - build address assignments from a passwd file SYNOPSIS
qmail-pw2u [ -/ohHuUC ] [ -cchar ] DESCRIPTION
qmail-pw2u reads a V7-format passwd file from standard input and prints a qmail-users-format assignment file. A V7-format passwd file is a series of lines. Each line has the format user:password:uid:gid:gecos:home:shell where user is an account name, uid and gid are the user id and group id of that account, and home is the account's home directory. pass- word, gecos, and shell are ignored by qmail-pw2u. If you put the output of qmail-pw2u into /var/lib/qmail/users/assign, and then run qmail-newu, qmail-lspawn will obey the assignments printed by qmail-pw2u. WARNING: After changing any users, uids, gids, or home directories in your passwd file, you must run qmail-pw2u and qmail-newu again if you want qmail-lspawn to see the changes. RULES
By default, qmail-pw2u follows the same rules as qmail-getpw. It skips user if (1) uid is zero, (2) home does not exist, (3) user does not own home, or (4) user contains uppercase letters. It then gives each remaining user control over the basic user address and all addresses of the form user-anything. A catch-all user, alias, controls all other addresses. You may change these rules by setting up files in /var/lib/qmail/users: include Allowed users, one per line. If include exists, and user is not listed in include, user is ignored. exclude Ignored users, one per line. If exclude exists, and user is listed in exclude, user is ignored. mailnames Replacement names for users. Each line has the form user:mailname1:mailname2:... The addresses mailname1 and mailname1-ext and mailname2 and so on will be delivered to user. WARNING: The addresses user and user-ext will not be delivered to user unless user is listed as one of the mailnames. A line in mailnames is silently ignored if the user does not exist. subusers Extra addresses. Each line has the form sub:user:pre: sub will be handled by home/.qmail-pre, where home is user's home directory; sub-ext will be handled by home/.qmail-pre-ext. append Extra assignments, printed at the end of qmail-pw2u's output. OPTIONS
-o (Default.) Skip user if home does not exist (or is not visible to qmail-pw2u). Skip user if home is not owned by user. -h Stop if home does not exist. This is appropriate if every user is supposed to have a home directory. Skip user if home is not owned by user. -H Do not check the existence or ownership of home. -U (Default.) Skip user if there are any uppercase letters in user. -u Allow uppercase letters in user. -cchar Use char as the user-extension delimiter in place of -. -C Disable the user-extension mechanism. -/ Use home/.qmail-/... instead of home/.qmail-... SEE ALSO
qmail-users(5), qmail-lspawn(8), qmail-newu(8), qmail-getpw(8) qmail-pw2u(8)