Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to compare two strings
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to compare two strings Post 302227001 by otheus on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 11:13:16 AM
Old 08-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niroj
SmilieThat is good but I used the way how Prashant tried.. so tht he can find wht is the prob in his string comp approach..
The problem is that he's comparing a string using the shell's NUMERICAL comparators (lt, ge, etc). He could use bash's STRING comparators. The weird thing is that they have to be escaped, so I avoid them.

Code:
$ test "0.1.2" \< "0.1.3" && echo smaller
smaller

Again, that only works in BASH (at least since version 2.05 // 2005).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare two strings

hi all, i am new to unix. Actually i need to compare two string and print the result... suppose type='sun' if; then echo good morning else echo good night fi whether the comparison is right r we need to use eq???? help me please.... :confused: thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ithirak17
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two strings using if

Hi, Here is my script #!/bin/ksh echo $pick_typ if ];then echo "inside if" else echo "outside if" fi when ever i pass CUS as parameter to this script am getting the correct value CUS, however if i pass ORD as parameter it is not coming inside if it is echoing else "Outside... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav20
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare text strings.

Hi Im trying to write a script that compare a text string. But it fails, I think it adds a extra line feed to the result and fails beacuse of that. The script. DT=`date +'%Y%m%d%H%M%S'` #ALARM_BIN=/users/alarms/ssa/alarms/bin QUEUE_THR=10 #unset offset #offset="***Server reports data... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vettec3
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Compare 2 Strings ?

Hello , I want to Compare with 2 strings and get if they are True or not please would like some help on this #!bin/ksh echo "Enter Name 1" read Name1 echo "Enter Name 2" read Name2 echo "------------------------" echo "First Name: $Name1" echo "Second Name: $Name2" echo... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
25 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two strings

hi.. i have a problem to compare two string my code is like that if ] then echo "both data are correct" elif ] echo "data is wrong" fi here $username1 is taking value from file.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two strings in a file

hello guyzz please help me out.. I have two file a.sh and b.sh it contains two string SD109 ,SD108 . I want to compaere these two string . If a.sh>b.sh do rebasing record time. else it shows no rebasing required. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijtr
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare strings with space in if statement

DEV> vi test_if_statement.sh "test_if_statement.sh" 9 lines, 205 characters proc_out="Normal completion" proc_out_comp="Normal completion" echo 'proc_out:'$proc_out echo 'proc_out_comp:'$proc_out_comp if then echo 'match' else echo 'no_match' fi ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cartrider
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 Strings

I have 2 values V_1_4_4_b1 and V_1_5_1_RC_b1. I would need to compare them and determine if the 1st value is greater, less or equal than the 2nd value. The result should need to have a return value. I have below code in bash function but it seems it is not comparing it correctly. Any help will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If statement to compare two strings

Hi, I am trying to do the following to see if "ip" is already present in a file. if ; then echo "hi" else echo "hello" fi I am seeing errors on the if statement. Can someone please correct the syntax for me? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waince
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Compare 2 strings

I think there is a way to detect mouse movement. valuator changes if the mouse moves. So I need to compare the two strings. Not sure how to do that. How could I send the valuator string to a file ? I would need to do it twice. andy@7_~/Downloads$ xinput query-state 9 2 classes :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
7 Replies
test(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   test(1)

NAME
test - condition evaluation command SYNOPSIS
expr DESCRIPTION
The command evaluates the expression expr and, if its value is True, returns a zero (true) exit status; otherwise, a nonzero (false) exit status is returned. also returns a nonzero exit status if there are no arguments. The following primitives are used to construct expr: True if file exists and is readable. True if file exists and is writable. True if file exists and is executable. True if file exists and is a regular file. True if file exists and is a directory. True if file exists and is a character special file. True if file exists and is a block special file. True if file exists and is a named pipe (fifo). True if file exists and its set-user-ID bit is set. True if file exists and its set-group-ID bit is set. True if file exists and its sticky bit is set. True if file exists and has a size greater than zero. True if file exists and is a symbolic link. True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. True if the length of string s1 is zero. True if the length of the string s1 is non-zero. True if strings s1 and s2 are identical. True if strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons and can be used in place of These primaries can be combined with the following operators: Unary negation operator. Binary AND operator. Binary OR operator has higher precedence than Parentheses for grouping. Note that all the operators and flags are separate arguments to Note also that parentheses are significant to the shell and therefore must be escaped. All file test operators return success if the argument is a symbolic link that points to a file of the file type being tested. is interpreted directly by the shell, and therefore does not exist as a separate executable program. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single byte and multibyte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
Exit if there are not two or three arguments: Create a new file containing the text string if the file does not already exist: Wait for myfile to become non-readable: WARNINGS
When the form of this command is used, the matching must be the final argument, and both must be separate arguments from the arguments they enclose (white space delimiters required. Parentheses and other special shell metacharacters intended to be handled by test must be escaped or quoted when invoking from a shell. Avoid such problems when comparing strings by inserting a non-operator character at the beginning of both operands: This approach does not work with numeric comparisons or the unary operators because it would affect the operand being checked. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. SEE ALSO
find(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
test(1)