Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question About Getting Line Numbers in a File Post 302226945 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 20th of August 2008 08:20:55 AM
Old 08-20-2008
Code:
awk '/pattern/ { print NR }' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to print out line numbers of a text file?

i have this text file name test.txt which contain : aaaaa bbb iiiiiiiiiiiii ccf ddaaa ddd and i need a script that can print out the line numbers using a while loop.. so when the script is run..it will have this: 1 2 3 any ideas? :) thanks guys (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add line numbers in text file

Hi all How to add line numbers in text file.. ex abcd cdef result 1. abcd 2. cdef thx in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding Numbers in a line from a file

Hello everyone ! Ive searched everywhere and still havnt found enough information to help me overcome (what seems like) a small problem I have created a temporary file in which i store numbers which a seperated by a space, eg) 5 10 46 23 866 392 i wish to take the numbers for each line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: healwithchaos
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV file - numbers question

Gurus, I have the following file in csv format, to be convert from cvs to excel. abc,summer,tennis,123456789,winter clearsky,fall,computer,43322,monitor I need to place commas on numbers so that they be read properly in excel. The number column output I need to see in excel should... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: clearcase123
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign Line Numbers to each line of the file

Hi! I'm trying to assign line numbers to each line of the file for example consider the following.. The contents of the input file are hello how are you? I'm fine. How about you? I'm trying to get the following output.. 1 hello how are you? 2 I'm fine. 3 How about you? ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting line numbers from a file and redirecting them to another file

i have applied the following command on a file named unix.txt that contains the string "linux from the text" grep -n -i -w "linux from the text" unix.txt and the result is 5:Today's Linux from the text systems are split into various branches, developed over time by AT&T as well as various... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file based on line numbers

Hello friends, Is there any way to split file from n to n+6 into 1 file and (n+7) to (n+16) into other file etc. f.e I have source pipe delimated file with 20 lines and i need to split 1-6 in file1 and 7-16 in file2 and 17-20 in file 3 I need to split into fixed number of file like 4 files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rizzu155
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert one line inbetween file with use of numbers

Hi All, I have one file name called test.txt and its having numbers inside the file.I need to identified next available number with use of unix shell scipt and have to update next available number with use of unix shell script. Example:- cat test.txt 5001 5002 5003 5005 7000 7001 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: susindram
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add line numbers (multiples of 5: 0,5,10,15,20) to a text file?

Hi, I need to number the lines in my text file. I know how to do this with standard numbering (1,2,3,4, etc) but I need to count in multiples of 5, beginning 0,5,10,15... example existing file: abcd efg hijklm nopqrs desired output 0 abcd 5 efg 10 hijklm 15 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: livbaddeley
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find duplicates in file with line numbers

Hello All, This is a noob question. I tried searching for the answer but the answer found did not help me . I have a file that can have duplicates. 100 200 300 400 100 150 the number 100 is duplicated twice. I want to find the duplicate along with the line number. expected... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vatigers
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)