Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TCP status question
Top Forums Programming TCP status question Post 302226765 by chihung on Tuesday 19th of August 2008 08:45:15 PM
Old 08-19-2008
I am no expert in TCP, but I know that if you 'abort' your client, the server is doing a 'passive close' and the server will go into 'CLOSE_WAIT' state. The time interval for close_wait will depend on the system.

In Solaris, you can find out all these time interval settings
Code:
$ for i in `ndd /dev/tcp \? | awk '/interval/{print $1}'`
  do
  echo "$i=`ndd /dev/tcp $i`"
  done
tcp_time_wait_interval=60000
tcp_ip_abort_cinterval=180000
tcp_ip_abort_linterval=180000
tcp_ip_abort_interval=480000
tcp_ip_notify_cinterval=10000
tcp_ip_notify_interval=10000
tcp_keepalive_interval=7200000
tcp_rexmit_interval_initial=3000
tcp_rexmit_interval_max=60000
tcp_rexmit_interval_min=400
tcp_deferred_ack_interval=100
tcp_fin_wait_2_flush_interval=675000
tcp_rexmit_interval_extra=0
tcp_co_timer_interval=20
tcp_local_dack_interval=50
tcp_ndd_get_info_interval=1000
tcp_push_timer_interval=50
tcp_close_wait_interval(obsoleted-=name is non-existent for this module
for a list of valid names, use name '?'

Recently I talked about the TIME_WAIT in my blog.
Chi Hung Chan: Lots of TIME_WAIT in Your Netstat
See the attached TCP state diagram to understand the relationship of various states.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couldn't open status file /var/samba/STATUS.LCK

I believe i have most of samba configured right but i get this error each time time try to run it. I was given suggestion that i touch the file, i did, but i still cannot rid myself of this error. Any suggestions (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
2 Replies

2. Programming

How to check TCP server status

Please tell me according to C/C++ socket programming; how client can check whether server is running or not during TCP communication. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansoorulhaq
1 Replies

3. Programming

C & TCP question: AF_INET vs AF_UNIX

Greetings! I am attempting to write a *basic* network client in C. I have manage to create a socket but I have doubts as far as using AF_INET vs AF_UNIX. At the present time, my client runs with AF_INET. Is AF_UNIX faster across hosts using the same OS flavor (Red Hat)? What is the difference... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alan Christen
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

How to kill a TCP connection which has status TIME_WAIT & no PID

Hi, I want to kill TCP connections which have status as TIME_WAIT & no PID (as per the output of the "netstat - p" command). Is there any command/utility available to kill connections to a specific port or IP address. The problem is that these connections don't have process ID (see... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davinder31may
4 Replies

5. Programming

Getting TCP Port status through C API

Does anyone know if there is a C API call to get the status of a TCP port? As opposed to running netstat and parsing the results. At the moment I have to attempt to bind() and pick up on the address in use error which isn't very elegant Thanks ---------- Post updated at 10:42 AM ----------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: janra
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

Wireshark TCP and HTTP question.

Hello all. This is my first post and thank you for your forum. Here is my question. I have a simple setup at home and I was capturing some data with wireshark. Data between a workstation and the web server, requesting a page. Simple enough. Now when I open wireshark, I apply the TCP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: squaresphere
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminate processes for CLOSE_WAIT status of TCP

Hello Friends, First of all im sorry for spending extra space in DB of forum with this thread, i know there would be a solution if i kept searching, I need to terminate the process which causes CLOSE_WAIT status of TCP connection via port 8103: -bash-3.00$ netstat -na | grep 8103... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Question Grep and exit status

Im being forced to write in perl. I prefer KSH or Expect, so I suppose its time to become more fluent with perl. I have the following problem. I want to loop through Filea and check that each line in Filea is resident in Fileb. Filea contents two four six eight houseboat Fileb... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Too much TCP retransmitted and TCP duplicate on server Oracle Solaris 10

I have problem with oracle solaris 10 running on oracle sparc T4-2 server. Os information: 5.10 Generic_150400-03 sun4v sparc sun4v Output from tcpstat.d script TCP bytes: out outRetrans in inDup inUnorder 6833763 7300 98884 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insatiable1610
2 Replies

10. Programming

Problem and question with TCP

Hi guys , i write this message for a doubt, a time ago i wrote a client/server program with TCP/IP in Linux. When i tested the program flooding the server with messages of 1024 bytes (Or 1025 bytes i dont remember exactly the number but was more that 1000 bytes) in certain point a message was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kovalevski
5 Replies
NETDUMP-CLIENT(8)						  System Programs						 NETDUMP-CLIENT(8)

NAME
netdump - send oops data and memory dumps over the network SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d/netdump (start|stop|status|restart|propagate) DESCRIPTION
Loads and configures the netdump kernel modules. Once these are loaded, when the kernel crashes it will send the oops message and a dump of physical memory to the machine that runs the netdump-server. This can then be used to debug the problem using gdb and a kernel image. OPTIONS
start Starts the netdump client service. Loads the kernel modules with the right options. stop Unloads the kernel modules. status Shows the status of the netdump client restart Restarts the netclient modules with new configurations. propagate Sends the ssh public key needed to update the random key for each netdump session to the netdump server. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/netdump Configuration for the netdump client. You need to at least specify the address of the machine running the netdump server here. /etc/sysconfig/netdump_id_dsa.pub Public key for this machine. Used by the server to authenticate the client. This must be installed on the server, possibly by using the the propagate capability of the netdump init script, which does: cat /etc/sysconfig/netdump_id_dsa.pu | ssh netdump@$NETDUMPADDR cat '>>' /var/crash/.ssh/authorized_keys2 Where $NETDUMPADDR is the ip or name of the machine running the netdump server. SEE ALSO
netdump-server(8), init(8) BUGS
Report any bugs you find to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla AUTHOR
Alexander Larsson <alexl@redhat.com> Linux 14 Feb 2002 NETDUMP-CLIENT(8)