Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: killing all child processes
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users killing all child processes Post 302226746 by superuser84 on Tuesday 19th of August 2008 05:04:57 PM
Old 08-19-2008
killing all child processes

Hi,

Is there a way I can kill all the child processes of a process, given its process id.

Many thanks in advance.
J.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing a child process within a shell

Hi All, I have a written a script in korn shell for importing data into a oracle database. The shell invokes the import within the script. I want to kill this import (child process) . I tries using trap, but this does not kill the import even if i press cnt c. i have to login into other terminal... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yerics
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing a child process

I am calling another script from my main script and making it run in the background,based upon the value of the input provided by the user I want to kill the child process ,I have written this code timer.ksh & PID=$$ print "\n Do you wish to continue .. (Y/N) : \c " read kill_proc if ]... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mervin2006
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing child process in ksh

I have a script that (ideally) starts tcpdump, sleeps a given number of seconds, then kills it. When I do this for 10 seconds or and hour, it works fine. When I try it for 10 hours (the length I actually want) it just doesn't die, and will actually stick around for days. Relevant part of my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: upnix
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Child Killing Parent

Hi all, I am writing a script which calls other third party scripts that perform numerous actions. I have no control over these scripts. My problem is, one of these scripts seems to execute and do what it is meant to do, but my calling / parent script always exits at that point. I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Killing child daemon started by parent process

Hi All, Hope this is right area to ask this question. I have a shell script (bash) "wrapper.sh", which contains few simple shell command which executes a "server.sh" (conatins code to execute a java server) as a daemon. Now what I want to kill this "server.sh" so that the server should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jw_amp
2 Replies

8. Programming

Killing a Child Thread

What is the best way for a parent to kill a child thread that has blocked on a command it cannot finish and will never read another line of its code? Will pthread_cancel() work with a thread that will never stop processing its current line of code? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brandon9000
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that kills previous instances of itself upon running not killing child processes

I'm likely going to explain this clumsily, so apologies in advance: I have the following script: #!/bin/bash pidPrefix="logGen" checkPrime () { if /sbin/ifconfig eth0:0|/bin/grep -wq inet;then isPrime=1;else isPrime=0;fi } killScript () { /usr/bin/find /var/run -name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Child killing parent process and how to set up SMF

Hello, A little background on what we are doing first. We are running several applications from a CLI, and not all of them are fully functional. They do on occasion core dump, not a problem. We are running a service that takes a screen scrape of those apps and displays them in a more user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bryan.Eidson
5 Replies
kill(2) 							System Calls Manual							   kill(2)

Name
       kill - send signal to a process

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <signal.h>

kill(pid, sig)
       pid_t pid;
       int sig;

Description
       The  system  call sends the signal sig to a process specified by the process number pid.  The sig can be a signal specified in a call or it
       can be 0.  If the sig is 0, error checking is performed, but a signal is not sent.  This call can be used to check the validity of pid.

The sending and receiving processes must have the same effective user ID, otherwise this call is  restricted  to  the  superuser  with  the
       exception of the signal SIGCONT.  The signal SIGCONT can always be sent to a child or grandchild of the current process.

If the process number is 0, the signal is sent to all other processes in the sender's process group.

If  the process number is negative but not -1, the signal is sent to all processes whose process-group-id is equal to the absolute value of
       the process number.

The above two options are variants of

If the process number is -1, and the user is the superuser, the signal is broadcast for all processes except to system  processes  and  the
       process sending the signal.

Processes may send signals to themselves.

Environment
       System Five
       POSIX

When  your  program  is	compiled in the System V or POSIX environment, a signal is sent if either the real or effective uid of the sending
       process matches the real or saved-set-uid (as described in ) of the receiving process. In addition, any process can use a pid  of  -1,  and
       the signal is sent to all processes subject to these permission checks.

In POSIX mode, the pid argument is of type pid_t.

Return Values
       Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned.  Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned, and is set to indicate the error.

Diagnostics
       The system call fails under the following conditions:

[EINVAL]       The sig is not a valid signal number.

[EPERM]	      The  sending  process  is not the superuser, and its effective user ID does not match the effective user ID of the receiving
		      process.

[ESRCH]	      No process can be found corresponding to that specified by pid.

See Also
       execve(2), getpgrp(2), getpid(2), killpg(2), sigvec(2), pause(3)

kill(2)