Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: getopts: bad option(s)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting getopts: bad option(s) Post 302226687 by DukeNuke2 on Tuesday 19th of August 2008 03:14:48 PM
Old 08-19-2008
please use the "code" tags if you post code!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

option followed by : taking next option if argument missing with getopts

Hi all, I am parsing command line options using getopts. The problem is that mandatory argument options following ":" is taking next option as argument if it is not followed by any argument. Below is the script: while getopts :hd:t:s:l:p:f: opt do case "$opt" in -h|-\?)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts with non-option arguments?

Hello everyone, Is it possible to use getopts and also receive arguments without option flags? e.g. myscript arg1 arg2 -a arg3 -b arg4 If so, how do you stop getopts from exiting as soon as it detects the non-option arguments? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdelok
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts with repeat of same option

Hello, Does getopts have some way of handling the use of an option that requires a parameter more than once on the command line. e.g. mycmd -a john -a jane I came up with a solution using arrays (shown below), but wonder if getopts has some other way of handling it. Other solutions... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarlosNC
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad option(s) with awk

Hi All I am trying to split a string which is like below -p/usr/home/dfusr/adm/props/Comments.properties_-iPEL17 i want to split "_" as delimiter. Please find the code below #!/bin/ksh cd /usr/home/dfusr/backup... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts fails to error on option w/o dash

I have a script with several options and during testing I found that the \? option does not handle options without dashes as I would expect. Then I run the script with any option that does not include a dash, it runs the script when I would expect \? to catch it and error. I've tried this with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HexKnot
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute default in getopts when no option is given ?

hi, here is a ksh script i wrote using getopts... i want to find out how i can run it in default mode when no option is mentioned and no arguments are provided... ? i.e if the script name is final1, then just running final1 should run in default mode.... while getopts 1:2:3:4: mode ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pravsripad
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh "getopts" -- Unsetting an Option

I use the "getopts" ksh built-in to handle command-line options, and I'm looking for a clean/standard way to "unset" an option on the command line. I don't know if this is a technical question about getopts or more of a style/standards question. Anyway, I understand that getopts processes its... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matt Miller
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopts option -please help

Hello, I am using below code in AIX env to interpret -n option given in argument while executing the script .I want to give another argument -t #!/bin/sh #set -x while getopts ":n:" opt; do case "$opt" in n) host=$OPTARG shift 2 ;; *)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - default value for getopts option's argument

Hello everyone, I need help in understanding the default value for getopts option's argument in ksh. I've written a short test script: #!/bin/ksh usage(){ printf "Usage: -v and -m are mandatory\n\n" } while getopts ":v#m:" opt; do case $opt in v) version="$OPTARG";; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: da1
1 Replies
LINTIAN-INFO(1) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   LINTIAN-INFO(1)

NAME
       lintian-info - give detailed information about Lintian's error tags

SYNOPSIS
       lintian-info [log-file...]

lintian-info --tags tag ...

DESCRIPTION
       The lintian-info command parses the output of the lintian command and gives verbose information about the listed Lintian error tags, parses
       a Lintian override file and gives verbose information about the tags included, or (if given the -t or --tags option) explains a given tag
       or tags.

If no log-file is specified on the command line, this command expects its input on stdin. Thus, the output of lintian can either be piped
       through lintian-info or a log file produced by lintian can be processed with this command.  (Note, though, that the lintian command has a
       command line option -i to display the same results as lintian-info, so you will not normally need to pipe the output of lintian into this
       command.)

OPTIONS
       -a, --annotate
	   Read from standard input or any files specified on the command line and search the input for lines formatted like Lintian override
	   entries.  For each one that was found, display verbose information about that tag.

-h, --help
	   Display usage information and exit.

--profile prof
	   Use the severities from the vendor profile prof when displaying tags.  If the profile name does not contain a slash, the default
	   profile for than vendor is chosen.

If not specified, lintian-info loads the best profile for the current vendor.

Please Refer to the Lintian User Manual for the full documentation of profiles.

-t, --tags
	   Rather than treating them as log file names, treat any command-line options as tag names and display the descriptions of each tag.

EXIT STATUS
       If -t or --tags was given and one or more of the tags specified were unknown, this command returns the exit code 1.  Otherwise, it always
       returns with exit code 0.

SEE ALSO
       lintian(1)

AUTHORS
       Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net>

Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl>

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de>

perl v5.14.2							    2013-02-16							   LINTIAN-INFO(1)