Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can the timestamp of a soft link be changed? Post 302226597 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 19th of August 2008 10:02:38 AM
Old 08-19-2008
Perderabo named the way to do it - for example, in C or perl call unlink() then symlink()

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Differences between hard link and soft link

Hi all! I'd like to know the differences between hard links and soft links. I've already read the ln manpage, but i'm not quite sure of what i understood. Does a hard link sort of copy the file to a new name, give it the same inode number and same rights? What exactly should I do to do this:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between hard link and soft link in unix

Hi All, Can any one please explain me what is the difference between hard link and soft link in UNIX. Thanks in advance Raja Chokalingam. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAJACHOKALINGAM
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Link vs SOft Link????

Hi PLease let me know the usage of Hard Link vs Soft Link i.e what is the basic difference and what happens when one file is changed or deleted in both the cases??? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between hard link and soft link

Hi Experts, Please help me out to find out difference between a hard link and a soft link. I am new in unix plz help me with some example commands ( for creating such links). Regards S.Kamakshi :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differentiate Soft and Hard Link

Hi, Can somebody please help me in knowing the difference between soft (Symbolic) link and hard link. Please explain it in as simple terms as possible. Kris (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu_solaris
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

soft link issue

Hi , When installing oracle software a set of directories are created under the home directories. Since the home directory is usually not big , i would like to create a soft link from the home directory to mount point with alot of free space , that way the logs will not be wriiten under the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove soft link

hi i have create a soft link using below command. ln -s <filename> <dirmane>where file name i use is t1 and dir name was t2. i deleted the dir t2 using command rm -rf to remove the soft link . however again i create a file a using the name t2 and when i just try to link t1 to t2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Soft link issue

I did restore from netbackup for root file system on separate slice instead of corrupted one. After restoration I found there are number of soft link issues lie e.g libabcxyx > /mnt/usr/lib it should be libabcxyz > /usr/lib does any have solution to change symbolic link changed in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimish_mehta
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Soft link

can u help me out how change the hooked file below. VEUEMASTER.txt -> /sbvnj/kfls//VSUE_OBR_MAER.txt.201503230800 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A query on soft-link

Hi All, I tried creating a soft link with the file itself. It got created successfully. bash-3.2$ ls -l a lrwxrwxrwx 1 ebrigup other 1 Oct 5 19:14 a -> a bash-3.2$ Can anyone explain what is the possible use of it. I dont see any except practically wasting an inode... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brij123
2 Replies
link(1m)																  link(1m)

NAME
link - A dcecp object that manages a soft link in CDS SYNOPSIS
link create link_name_list {-to target_name [-timeout expiration_time extension_time] | -attribute attribute_list} link delete link_name_list link help [operation | -verbose] link modify link_name_list {[-add attribute_list] [-remove attribute_list] [-change attribute_list]} link operations link show link_name_list [-schema] ARGUMENTS
A list of one or more names of CDS soft links. The name of the link operation for which to display help information. DESCRIPTION
The link object represents a Cell Directory Service (CDS) soft link. A soft link in CDS contains an attribute that has a name that is the same as the name of the object the soft link points to. The soft link contains several built-in attributes, but users are free to add their own attributes. Softlinks can point to objects, directories, and other soft links. ATTRIBUTES
The following CDS-defined attributes may be present in CDS link objects: Specifies the creation timestamp (CTS) of the soft link. The is a read-only DTS-style time stamp, which is set by the system. Specifies the full name of the directory, object entry, or other soft link to which the soft link points. Specifies a timeout value after which the soft link is either renewed or deleted. Its value is a list of two elements enclosed in braces, as follows: {expiration_time extension_time} where: Is a date and time after which CDS checks for the exis- tence of the soft link's target and either extends or deletes the soft link. The value is specified in the format yyyy-mm-dd-hh:mm:ss; portions of it can be defaulted. Is a period of time by which to extend the soft link's expiration time (if the server has validated that the target still exists). The value is specified in the format ddd-hh:mm:ss; portions of it can be defaulted. Specifies the timestamp of the most recent update to an attribute of the soft link. The value is a read-only DTS-style timestamp and is set by the system. See the OSF DCE Administration Guide for more information about link attributes. OPERATIONS
link create Creates a new soft link entry in CDS. The syntax is as follows: link create link_name_list {-to target_name [-timeout expiration_time extension_time] | -attribute attribute_list} Options Specifies a single name for the links to point to. If you do not use this option, you must specify the link target with the -attribute option. Specifies the expiration time and extension period for all soft links named by the link_name_list argument. The option syntax is as follows: {expiration_time extension_time} See ATTRIBUTES for more detailed information about link timeouts. If you omit the -timeout option, the link is permanent and must be explicitly deleted. Allows you to specify attributes by using an attribute list. See ATTRIBUTES for more detailed information about link attributes. The create operation creates a new soft link entry in CDS. The required link_name_list argument is a list of one or more full CDS names of the soft links to be created. This operation returns an empty string on success. Privileges Required You must have i (insert) permission to the directory in which you intend to create the soft link. Examples The following command creates a soft link named /.:/sales/tokyo/price-server that points to an object entry named /.:/sales/east/price- server. The expiration value indicates that CDS checks that the destination name /.:/sales/east/price-server still exists on June 25,1995, at 12:00 p.m. If the destination name still exists, the soft link remains in effect another 90 days. Thereafter, CDS will check that the destination name exists every 90 days. dcecp> link create /.:/sales/tokyo/price-server -to > /.:/sales/east/price-server -timeout {1995-06-25-12:00:00 90-00:00:00} dcecp> You can enter the same information as above by using the -attributes option, as follows: dcecp> link create /.:/sales/tokyo/price-server -attribute { > {CDS_LinkTarget /.:/sales/east/price-server} {CDS_LinkTimeout > {expiration 1995-06-25-12:00:00} {extension 90-00:00:00}}} dcecp> link delete Removes a link entry from CDS. The syntax is as follows: link delete link_name_list The delete operation removes a link entry from CDS. This task is usually done through a client application. The required link_name_list argument is a list of one or more full CDS names of the link entry to be removed. This operation returns an empty string on success. Privileges Required You must have d (delete) permission to the link entry or A (Admin) permission to the directory that stores the link entry. Examples dcecp> link delete /.:/sales/tokyo/price-server dcecp> link help Returns help information about the link object and its operations. The syntax is as follows: link help [operation | -verbose] Options Displays information about the link object. Used without an argument or option, the link help command returns brief information about each link operation. The optional operation argument is the name of an operation about which you want detailed information. Alternatively, you can use the -verbose option for more detailed information about the link object itself. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the link help command. Examples dcecp> link help create Creates the named link. delete Deletes the named link. modify Adds, removes or changes an attribute in the named link. show Returns the attributes of a link. help Prints a summary of command-line options. operations Returns a list of the valid operations for this command. dcecp> link modify Changes attributes in the specified soft links. The syntax is as follows: link modify link_name_list {[-add attribute_list] [-remove attribute_list] [-change attribute_list]} Options Adds one or more new attributes to a soft link or adds values to existing attributes when values are not already present. Add an attribute type with no value by specifying an attribute type with no value. Removes an entire attribute or some attribute values from a soft link. If only the attribute type is specified after the option, the entire attribute is removed. If an attribute type and value are specified, only that value is removed. If an attribute or value is not present, an error is returned. Changes one attribute value to another for a soft link. Each attribute in the list has its existing value replaced by the new value given in the attribute list. For multi-valued attributes, all existing values are replaced by all the values listed for the attribute in the attribute list. If an attribute or value is not present, an error is returned. The modify operation can be used to change two attributes of a soft link: CDS_LinkTarget and CDS_LinkTimeout. The argument is a list of names of soft links to be operated on. The operation takes the -add, -remove, and -change options to specify an attribute list to describe the changes. All the modifications are performed on each soft link named in the argument. This operation returns an empty string on suc- cess. Privileges Required You must have w (write) permission to the link object. Examples The following example sets the link expiration time to 1998-01-20-12:00:00:00 and the extension time to 10 days: dcecp> link modify /.:/depts/emergency -change { > {CDS_LinkTimeout {expiration 1998-01-20-12:00:00:00} {extension +10-0:0:0}}} dcecp> link operations Returns a list of the operations supported by the link object. The syntax is as follows: link operations The list of available operations is in alphabetical order except for help and operations, which are listed last. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the link operations command. Examples dcecp> link operations create delete modify show help operations dcecp> link show Returns attribute information associated with specified link entries. The syntax is as follows: link show link_name_list [-schema] Options This option returns whether an attribute is single or multi-valued. The type of value is specific to a link, meaning that the same attribute can be single-valued on one link and multi-valued on another. The show operation displays attribute information associated with specified link entries. The required link_name_list argument is a list of one or more full CDS names of the soft links you want to show. If more than one link is shown, the attributes of all the soft links are concatenated into one list. The order of the returned attributes is the lexical order of the object identifiers (OIDs) of each attribute for each object. Privileges Required You must have r (read) permission to the link entry. Examples dcecp> link show /.:/depts/emergency {CDS_CTS 1994-07-11-17:47:59.755+00:00I0.000/00-00-c0-8a-df-56} {CDS_UTS 1994-07-11-17:52:44.698+00:00I0.000/00-00-c0-8a-df-56} {CDS_LinkTarget /.../my_cell.acme_health.org/depts/radiology} {CDS_LinkTimeout {expiration 1995-07-11-00:00:00.000} {extension +10-10:00:00.000I-----}} dcecp> dcecp> link show /.:/gumby -schema {CDS-CTS single} {CDS-UTS single} {CDS-LinkTarget single} dcecp> RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: dcecp(1m), dcecp_clearinghouse(1m), dcecp_directory(1m), dcecp_object(1m). link(1m)