Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Clearing screen in Python using curses? Post 302226542 by sadistik_exec on Tuesday 19th of August 2008 08:18:01 AM
Old 08-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by redoubtable
vidyadhar IMHO the problem is not clear. When we initscr() there is a call to tcsetattr() to change terminal attributes (termios). The real problem is that he's not calling endwin() when he terminates his program.

Code:
import curses

scrn = curses.initscr()
scrn.clear()
curses.endwin()

Got it working great. Thanks for that guys, overlooked the fact that I had to endwin().

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

curses.h

hi i'd like to know how to draw a rectangle using the curses.h library, you know with all the WINDOW *newwin stuff and all thanx!:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chomano
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: clearing the screen

I would like to clear the screen in perl scripts without having to use system(). Is there a way to do this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
7 Replies

3. Programming

curses.h

hi all i get a segmentation fault error in the following program. couldn't understand why it happens. can anyone explain what is really happening. s1.c #include<curses.h> main(){ int c; noecho(); cbreak(); c=getch(); printf("%c",(char)c); } I compiled this program as cc s1.c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to disable the clearing of the first page when executing screen tool

Hi Guy, In order to monitor the user sessions, I have put the screen tool in the .profile in order to record the whole session. However, when the user logs in, the screen command is executed and the screen is first cleared, then the command prompt appears. so, I basically want to disable the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saad26
2 Replies

5. Programming

python curses , segmentation fault on screen.addstr()

I have an application that's running curses on a weird linux environment... a lot of the base paths of stuff are non standard. But other screen applications run fine. I've set TERMINFO_DIRS and gotten the ncurses application to run. Using a nonstandard terminfo path. I see windows draw up... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: openfly
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearing part of screen in Korn Shell

Hi, I am writing a menu driven Korn script where I am getting some input from the users (host details, like Hostname, HBA WWN, Devices etc...). I face a challenge when the number of input lines goes past my window size. For this reason, I am planning to use a part of the screen for user input, say... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lasko
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python regular expression screen scrub

Hi I am trying to write a python script that executes a command to screen scrub results below I will appreciate it very much if you can help me with a python script that can pick the percentage USAGE in the second column based on the supplied queue number in the first column import re... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaf3773
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accidentally made a screen within a screen - how to move it up one level?

I made a screen within a screen. Is there a way to move the inner screen up one level so that it is at the same level as the first screen running from the shell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
2 Replies

10. Programming

Python Screen Capture of RIGOL 1054Z on macOS Catalina Using NI-VISA

On the NI-VISA boards there has been some frustration where folks cannot get NI-VISA to work on macOS Catalina because Catalina (macOS 10.15.x) is "not supported" by NI-VISA (for many months, it seems). Currently, the README shows: NI-VISA 19.0 for macOS supports the following platforms: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies
curs_initscr(3X)														  curs_initscr(3X)

NAME
initscr, newterm, endwin, isendwin, set_term, delscreen - curses screen initialization and manipulation routines SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> WINDOW *initscr(void); int endwin(void); bool isendwin(void); SCREEN *newterm(char *type, FILE *outfd, FILE *infd); SCREEN *set_term(SCREEN *new); void delscreen(SCREEN* sp); DESCRIPTION
initscr is normally the first curses routine to call when initializing a program. A few special routines sometimes need to be called be- fore it; these are slk_init, filter, ripoffline, use_env. For multiple-terminal applications, newterm may be called before initscr. The initscr code determines the terminal type and initializes all curses data structures. initscr also causes the first call to refresh to clear the screen. If errors occur, initscr writes an appropriate error message to standard error and exits; otherwise, a pointer is re- turned to stdscr. A program that outputs to more than one terminal should use the newterm routine for each terminal instead of initscr. A program that needs to inspect capabilities, so it can continue to run in a line-oriented mode if the terminal cannot support a screen-oriented program, would also use newterm. The routine newterm should be called once for each terminal. It returns a variable of type SCREEN * which should be saved as a reference to that terminal. The arguments are the type of the terminal to be used in place of $TERM, a file pointer for output to the terminal, and another file pointer for input from the terminal (if type is NULL, $TERM will be used). The program must also call endwin for each terminal being used before exiting from curses. If newterm is called more than once for the same terminal, the first ter- minal referred to must be the last one for which endwin is called. A program should always call endwin before exiting or escaping from curses mode temporarily. This routine restores tty modes, moves the cursor to the lower left-hand corner of the screen and resets the terminal into the proper non-visual mode. Calling refresh or doupdate after a temporary escape causes the program to resume visual mode. The isendwin routine returns TRUE if endwin has been called without any subsequent calls to wrefresh, and FALSE otherwise. The set_term routine is used to switch between different terminals. The screen reference new becomes the new current terminal. The previ- ous terminal is returned by the routine. This is the only routine which manipulates SCREEN pointers; all other routines affect only the current terminal. The delscreen routine frees storage associated with the SCREEN data structure. The endwin routine does not do this, so delscreen should be called after endwin if a particular SCREEN is no longer needed. RETURN VALUE
endwin returns the integer ERR upon failure and OK upon successful completion. Routines that return pointers always return NULL on error. X/Open defines no error conditions. In this implementation endwin returns an error if the terminal was not initialized. NOTES
Note that initscr and newterm may be macros. PORTABILITY
These functions are described in the XSI Curses standard, Issue 4. It specifies that portable applications must not call initscr more than once. Old versions of curses, e.g., BSD 4.4, may have returned a null pointer from initscr when an error is detected, rather than exiting. It is safe but redundant to check the return value of initscr in XSI Curses. SEE ALSO
curses(3X), curs_kernel(3X), curs_refresh(3X), curs_slk(3X), curs_util(3X) curs_initscr(3X)